Around the NHL: 2018-2019 (Part 2) Off-Season Thread, Arbitration Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
“We do believe this is a case of misadventure.”

I do hope that the details of such a misadventure aren't swept under the rug.
I've been following it closely because something like this happened a couple years ago to a friend of a friend who was an acquaintance. He jumped off his boat after a night of drinking and never surfaced. The same thing as what happened to Emery.

I just can't think what could have happened in that situation. Depending on how deep the water is he could dove in and knocked himself out on the bottom or got stuck under the boat and couldn't surface.

It's scary that these things happen in such a normal scenario (people jumping into the water off their boat)

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I've been following it closely because something like this happened a couple years ago to a friend of a friend who was an acquaintance. He jumped off his boat after a night of drinking and never surfaced. The same thing as what happened to Emery.

I just can't think what could have happened in that situation. Depending on how deep the water is he could dove in and knocked himself out on the bottom or got stuck under the boat and couldn't surface.

It's scary that these things happen in such a normal scenario (people jumping into the water off their boat)

I had a friend that was drunk and jumped into the Niagara river head-first and hit a rock. Was paralyzed from the waste down for the rest of his (tragic) life.

I'm hoping this was just an innocent, though ill-advised, act and nothing like alcohol was involved. So sad.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
After signing Hellebuyck, can the Jets afford to keep the rest of their core?

The majority opinion is that Tyler Myers will be the odd man out in Winnipeg.

It will be interesting to see if 2019 UFAs-to-be like Myers and Panarin get moved prior to hitting UFA or not.

On Panarin:

The Dark Blue Jacket: Assessing the Cost if Panarin Does a Taveres

Since Panarin has blossomed into an elite player, you might well get a first round pick and a couple of young assets on a trade and sign deal this summer. In that case the CBJ would break even or come out ahead in the long run.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
After signing Hellebuyck, can the Jets afford to keep the rest of their core?

The majority opinion is that Tyler Myers will be the odd man out in Winnipeg.

It will be interesting to see if 2019 UFAs-to-be like Myers and Panarin get moved prior to hitting UFA or not.

On Panarin:

The Dark Blue Jacket: Assessing the Cost if Panarin Does a Taveres

Panarin is probably a 10M winger at this point if he hits the UFA market. Unless Panarin is willing to negotiate a deal with another team before the trade, I can't imagine his value is that high.

Columbus is in a bad spot if Panarin is dead set on walking. As a franchise, they are near an inflection point. They likely need to raise ticket prices, but given their lack of success (no playoff series wins) and a history of driving off players (Johansen), they likely can't afford to trade Panarin for futures and stay competitive in the Metro with Pittsburgh, Washington, an improved Philly, and NJ/Carolina coming up. Where does that leave them? They can try to get a player + pick back for Panarin now, though, its doubtful that'll replace his production. They can keep him, be a likely playoff team, and lose him for nothing. The worst case scenario is that they keep him, team misses the playoffs but they are close enough they don't move him at the deadline.

As for Myers/Trouba...the arbitration will start a 2 year clock on Trouba's time in WPG. He'll have the option of accepting the arb award and simply signing his QO next year. I could see them moving Myers...IF they get a Trouba extension done. Trouba already requested a trade last year. He simply may not like living in Winnipeg. If that is the case, WPG should extend Myers and look to move Trouba next year.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
It took 13 seasons! @ovi8 finally took home the Best Male Athlete Award! #ESPYS
Dib1XVsXUAMmXX7.jpg:small

Last edited:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/11-big-summer-nhl-headlines-yet-play/

It will be interesting to see how many of these get knocked off the list over the next month.

2017–18 NHL transactions - Wikipedia

Last year, there were 0 trades in the NHL between July 5th and September 16th.

There was one trade in September and then you had a few deals in early October on the eve of opening night.

Front offices are fully in vacation mode. I'm sure there is some back and forth, but I think we can set the snooze until September on Karlsson and Panarin issues. There is one resolution that could come up between now and then, and that is them agreeing to a contract. It's doubtful we see a trade of either anytime soon. I imagine getting more than one GM on the phone these days is like pulling teeth.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Front offices are fully in vacation mode. I'm sure there is some back and forth, but I think we can set the snooze until September on Karlsson and Panarin issues. There is one resolution that could come up between now and then, and that is them agreeing to a contract. It's doubtful we see a trade of either anytime soon. I imagine getting more than one GM on the phone these days is like pulling teeth.

Definitely.

GMs only have enough energy to deal with re-signing their own RFAs.

The rest of the time is spent on the water at their cottages.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I really wonder if Buffalo could get Myers for cheap. Top four RD on an expiring contract. Really a perfect stopgap, and if he works out, then you try to re-sign him.

What would it take? Would he really be that cheap because the Jets probably don't need the cap space to sign Trouba and fill out the rest of their roster unless they are a cash-conscious club - I don't think they are(??).

BUF 2019 2nd, Brycen Martin, Vaclav Karabacek.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
What would it take? Would he really be that cheap because the Jets probably don't need the cap space to sign Trouba and fill out the rest of their roster unless they are a cash-conscious club - I don't think they are(??).

BUF 2019 2nd, Brycen Martin, Vaclav Karabacek.
Martin amd Karabacek just lower the value. Not sure why Jets would trade Myers for a 2nd and contract dumps right now.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Myers, no thanks. I like him but he's hurt a lot, many surgeries, many body parts - and we've been through that with Bogosian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad