Around the NHL: 2018-2019 (Part 2) Off-Season Thread, Arbitration Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
If you were looking at prospects, players available, and cap space... San Jose should have been the last team Erik Karlsson was traded to. All 29 other teams in the league could have made a better offer than that. Hell there are probably a few teams that could have offered up a slightly worse deal than that but taken Bobby Ryan's salary back.

Reactions: struckbyaparkedcar

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
The Sharks truly are going all in. Kane and Karlsson. Going after Tavares. Possibly without 3 of their next 4 1st rounders though if it means a cup they wont care if they lose their next 10 first round picks.

Would love to see Joe Thornton win a cup. He is the last star from the 90s/early 00s. When he hangs it up I'll truly feel old.

Reactions: jc17

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Honestly, I don't know if I've ever seen a team implode so fast as Ottawa has. This might be as bad as when Buffalo refused to trade Peca at the trade deadline then Hasek forced a trade to detroit (and told them not to accept too much in return because he wanted to win a cup :laugh:).

Reactions: struckbyaparkedcar

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
That's quite honestly a terrible return for a player of that magnitude. It's not even comparable to the likes of ROR getting traded, that was a legit franchise defender in his prime and the cost was a bunch of secondary assets.

That would be equivalent to this from Buffalo

Chris Tierney Comparable is hard from Sabres.
Jake McCabe
Rasmus Asplund
Will Borgen
2019 first (SJS)
2019 second

Last edited:
Reactions: Reddawg

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I just don't get it.

Understand why they don't trade him to TB but Vegas & Dallas were both in. Package Vegas gave for MaxPac is a better return than this. Then you consider the way SJ played them on the Hoffman deal.. These guys are professionals being paid big money to manage teams.

Just doesn't make sense... I truly think there is something behind the scenes here but don't know what. Something involving Melnyk & SJ?

Genny Screamer

Jul 11, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I think Karlson is going UFA next season. He gets a kick at a Cup this season and then signs in Tampa. There is no sense signing an extension with an aging team.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Well, I have to say, this is the only time I have felt bad for the Sens in over a decade.

This feels almost like the 70s where the nba had to flat out remove certain owners or restrict first round pick trades. Incredible.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I can't believe that Karlsson went to the team with the least attractive prospect pool.... and the team that trolled them hard in the Hoffman fiasco...

Those "holding out for Cody Glass" rumors must have been bunk...

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I think Karlson is going UFA next season. He gets a kick at a Cup this season and then signs in Tampa. There is no sense signing an extension with an aging team.

This is my thought as well, and most likely why the package isn't that great, on top of being only for 1 year. San Jose offered them low costing prospects, draft picks, probably because they don't plan on having him past this year. Why take the chance of giving up one of your best prospects if you know that player would rather play (most likely) in the Eastern Conference as soon as he can. San Jose is taking this year for their shot at the cup.

I'm expecting Karlsson to be in the Eastern Conference as soon as he can choose to be.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Is this a speculation what if post? or are you asking what the condition is for us? If it is the latter from my understanding we get the 2019 pick if San Jose makes the playoffs, if not Ottawa gets it and we get their 2020 pick.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
“They love it both in Ottawa” :huh:

Shouldn’t it be “They both love it in Ottawa”

Or “Both of them love it in Ottawa”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad