NHL Around the NHL 2018-19 III - Seattle will become 32nd NHL Franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
I do not care what gender the ref is as long as fair.I can see the male refs there now however not wanting them there for fear of jobs being lost among them.

I agree with this ...

It’s just not feasable. The women’s Olympic hockey teams (assuming they are the best of the best) lose to AAA club teams of 15-17 year old boys.

Now they want to jump 3/4 levels of hockey and officaite in the NHL?

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I’m surprised the pigeons haven’t gotten into the rink at this point. When I used to commute into North Station for work every day, there sometimes seemed like there were more of them than people at rush hour.
Chara taught them to be polite pigeons.

Reactions: BMC

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I agree with this ...

It’s just not feasable. The women’s Olympic hockey teams (assuming they are the best of the best) lose to AAA club teams of 15-17 year old boys.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I’d like to see how it plays out in the Beanpot. I think some of you jumping to the conclusion that females can’t handle reffing in a man’s game are doing a lot of assuming.

I think the big issue comes down to linesmen (or lineswomen I suppose) breaking up rough stuff. I am not saying a woman could not handle it. But what I’m worried about is that society as a whole would not accept men tussling and a woman taking some physical abuse trying to get in between and break it up.

This topic deserves its own thread, but I fear where it ends up going.

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
Their defense looked really bad. They struggle with a heavy forecheck and pinching.

Hedman looked terrible.

Segatchev is not good but Cernak is a beast.

I tend to disagree. They still miss Stralman on D. Plus their system is supported by D pinching in. Visually it looks like they give too many odd men rushes however their defense is both physical and mobile. Bruins defense is either physical or mobile but not both at the same time.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I agree with this ...

Well they could still learn the trade at lower levels and the college level etc and come through the ranks same way as the men do .I just see the men there now having an issue with it cause they will fear these jobs will come at the expense of some of them who are employed there now.Its not like football where they have more officials thus more work .Not sure that is a solid example because in football its only 16 weeks n playoffs but best I got right now .

Reactions: Rumpy

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
Well they could still learn the trade at lower levels and the college level etc and come through the ranks same way as the men do .I just see the men there now having an issue with it cause they will fear these jobs will come at the expense of some of them who are employed there now.Its not like football where they have more officials thus more work .Not sure that is a solid example because in football its only 16 weeks n playoffs but best I got right now .

Literally have no problem with women taking jobs. Or women playing in the NHL or NBA or whatever ...

But the NHL officials are suppose to be the best of the best right now and they are pretty pathetic for the most part. When women are good enough to play in the leagues is the day I’ll agree they are qualified to officiate them.

Last edited:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I guess we can just call Jack Eichel “Dr Crosscheck” now?

The first one is two weeks ago on McDonagh and he got 2 minutes when it should have been 5.

The second one is from last night on Fischer. He put him into the dasher and cut him. Fischer left the game (not sure if he returned) and Eichel got NOTHING. He didn’t barrel in on either play, but got both in the numbers and they didn’t turn at all.

I am so tired of the lack of consistency with officiating. If that had been some plug, he would have received majors on both plays. Maybe if the refs actually gave him a major penalty when he deserved it, Eichel would stop doing it?

What a novel idea.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Literally have no problem with women taking jobs. Or women playing in the NHL or NBA or whatever ...

But the NHL officials are suppose to be the best of the best right now and they are pretty pathetic for the most part. When women are good enough to play in the leagues is the day I’ll agree they are qualified to officiate them.
Then you just fired a good amount of refs who didn’t play in the NHL.

Playing in the NHL and officiating it is apple and oranges

Reactions: Tampbear

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
Then you just fired a good amount of refs who didn’t play in the NHL.

Playing in the NHL and officiating it is apple and oranges
Absolutely, we need people that can see the plays and properly react to them. We already complain about refs day in and day out, why would anyone be against trying something different if it could mean a higher level of officiating.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston

The first one is two weeks ago on McDonagh and he got 2 minutes when it should have been 5.

The second one is from last night on Fischer. He put him into the dasher and cut him. Fischer left the game (not sure if he returned) and Eichel got NOTHING. He didn’t barrel in on either play, but got both in the numbers and they didn’t turn at all.

I am so tired of the lack of consistency with officiating. If that had been some plug, he would have received majors on both plays. Maybe if the refs actually gave him a major penalty when he deserved it, Eichel would stop doing it?

What a novel idea.

Second one should be called, The first one was a dive he barely touched him

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

:laugh: Ok.

First question, (and this isn’t a “if you haven’t played the game at a high level you don’t know shit” post), but have you played defense? Just asking because that short light crosscheck has been a staple of D for years. The reason is because it’s highly effective at putting a guy off balance so he cannot handle the puck.

Eichel plays the role the D normally does and gives McD a light shove to the small of the back which puts him off balance and into the boards. The reason I know this wasn’t a dive was because when a player “dives” he will typically sprawl and lay there, WITHOUT contacting the boards with his head, which is definitely not a good idea.

The thing I think you need to get past is realizing that it’s not always about how hard you hit someone, but where and when. In this case McD was focused on the puck, had no idea the shove was coming and was only a couple of feet from the boards (which is extremely dangerous). Eichel absolutely should have gone for 5 in that instance. Maybe it would have deterred him from doing similar to Fischer...or not?

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

What a novel idea.

That is brutal. Just brutal.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
:laugh: Ok.

First question, (and this isn’t a “if you haven’t played the game at a high level you don’t know ****” post), but have you played defense? Just asking because that short light crosscheck has been a staple of D for years. The reason is because it’s highly effective at putting a guy off balance so he cannot handle the puck.

Eichel plays the role the D normally does and gives McD a light shove to the small of the back which puts him off balance and into the boards. The reason I know this wasn’t a dive was because when a player “dives” he will typically sprawl and lay there, WITHOUT contacting the boards with his head, which is definitely not a good idea.

The thing I think you need to get past is realizing that it’s not always about how hard you hit someone, but where and when. In this case McD was focused on the puck, had no idea the shove was coming and was only a couple of feet from the boards (which is extremely dangerous). Eichel absolutely should have gone for 5 in that instance. Maybe it would have deterred him from doing similar to Fischer...or not?

Well, to be honest no but I was pretty good at in my beer league years ago. But I will say my son played it and was very good at the position and In fact has been hit pretty good by a few guys that are playing in the NHL as we speak.

As Don Cherry said these guys lunge when they feel contact, Its taught and if you talk to my son directly he will tell you the same thing.

Not ALL pushes or hits are created equal. Mitch Marner is one of the best in the league in drawing this type of call.

McD is a big strong kid with great balance, he should not go down that easily. In my view he helped it quite a bit.

Not being a richard about it either

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Well, to be honest no but I was pretty good at in my beer league years ago. But I will say my son played it and was very good at the position and In fact has been hit pretty good by a few guys that are playing in the NHL as we speak.

As Don Cherry said these guys lunge when they feel contact, Its taught and if you talk to my son directly he will tell you the same thing.

Not ALL pushes or hits are created equal. Mitch Marner is one of the best in the league in drawing this type of call.

McD is a big strong kid with great balance, he should not go down that easily. In my view he helped it quite a bit.

Not being a richard about it either

I didn’t think you were.

You can tap any big strong kid on the heel of his skates and he will go down like he was shot. Balance has zero to do with strength.

If McD had sprawled short of the boards, that would be one thing, but I can’t picture a player throwing his head into the boards just to draw a call (maybe).

Makes no sense.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I didn’t think you were.

You can tap any big strong kid on the heel of his skates and he will go down like he was shot. Balance has zero to do with strength.

If McD had sprawled short of the boards, that would be one thing, but I can’t picture a player throwing his head into the boards just to draw a call (maybe).

Makes no sense.

Absolute.
A millionyears ago when I played goal Id wait for the guy setting up in front of my net to turn his back. As soon as theRef was looking elsewhere.....one tiny tap on the back of the skate blade and ‘timmmbbbeerrrr ‘ down goes the guy and now bottom of net taken care of.
Sometimes the guy would get up and come at me and usually Id jump behind some real good d guys that looked out for me.

Good times.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

Someone needs to fill his face in with a few fists.He is going to hurt someone bad yet.And that first one did not look like no dive to me.You see way his neck twisted on them boards?

Reactions: BMC

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

What a novel idea.

The inconsistency is, well, one consistent thing we can all depend on with the officiating in this league. I didn`t like the 2nd one and I`ll take it in a different direction, while I don`t like any hit/cross check from behind, I`m tired of watching game after game where players exposing themselves to draw a penalty by turning their back to attacking player. I`d like to see that kind of move being penalized. I don`t know, never played at an elite level but in all my years playing, never once did I hear from a coach to turn my back when an attacking player is coming.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
I didn’t think you were.

Makes no sense.

Let's agree to disagree. This isn't the 70's anymore. These guys can go out dancing with their skates on and I not going to buy into every push from behind is going to drive a guy that hard forward into the boards.

Player embellish this play 50 times a week in games across the league and to me that "crosscheck" to McD was nothing.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

What a novel idea.

It's the old NHL double standard: superstars (and superstars to be like Eichel) are pretty much free to do whatever the **** they want to do and will not face consequences (at least not consequences by the on ice officials). I've always loathed this garbage. IMO if a player commits a penalty off to the box he goes, I don't care if he's a future HHOFer or a fourth line scrub one bad play away from being sent down.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Let's agree to disagree. This isn't the 70's anymore. These guys can go out dancing with their skates on and I not going to buy into every push from behind is going to drive a guy that hard forward into the boards.

Player embellish this play 50 times a week in games across the league and to me that "crosscheck" to McD was nothing.

You still haven't explained why McD would take his level of embellishment to the point of whacking his own head into the boards. Watch the video, and you can see his helmet making contact with the end boards, and it's not glancing, it's solid contact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad