Around the NHL 2017-2018 Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Wanted to go to a Knights game, but damn they’re expensive. Could go to 2 concerts this week in Vegas for the same price as a nosebleed seat.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Wanted to go to a Knights game, but damn they’re expensive. Could go to 2 concerts this week in Vegas for the same price as a nosebleed seat.

I have been told it is not a real market and couldn't support itself...:thumbd::laugh:

I love that Vegas has come in like this. I think it is great for the sport. I also think they will be rewarded long term for being the first pro sport in that town. They will probably always hold a special place because of that.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I have been told it is not a real market and couldn't support itself...:thumbd::laugh:

I love that Vegas has come in like this. I think it is great for the sport. I also think they will be rewarded long term for being the first pro sport in that town. They will probably always hold a special place because of that.

Having a phenomenal season helps...

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Having a phenomenal season helps...

It does, but it turns out it isn't just road fans for some of these games. There is a real big buzz in that building and in that market. Honestly I think it is great they were good right away. Certainly none of us expected that, but hey I hope Seattle is good from the jump too. It is good for the league and the game in my opinion.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
I hope vegas can become the next nashville. but we'll see what happens when the "shiny new toy" effect wears off and they inevitably come back down to earth and miss the playoffs.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
80 ESP on the year. He's a top15 scorer in the league without any special teams points.

He has over 30 more points than the nearest player on his team (Draisatl) and nearly double the points of the 3rd player in points on his team. (RNH) He has four times the points on the top defender (Nurse) on the team. I saw something last week that he accounts for 45% of the offense of that team, on top of the insane even strength production. This is both a condemnation of how bad the Oilers are, and an appraisal of what a special talent is in this league. I remember when Crosby was a sophomore or junior in this league, a substantial portion of his production came off of their very good power play. McDavid is literally doing it all alone. It’s insane.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
It does, but it turns out it isn't just road fans for some of these games. There is a real big buzz in that building and in that market. Honestly I think it is great they were good right away. Certainly none of us expected that, but hey I hope Seattle is good from the jump too. It is good for the league and the game in my opinion.

I don’t think Vegas will have anything resembling this next season, as a team, a bunch of guys had career years, that will likely not be repeated. As a team, their PDO is through the roof, and every year where a team where the performance didn’t reflect the roster (Calgary, Columbus, Colorado of years past) they regressed hard the following year. So when the team starts to regress, I wonder what the buzz around the team will be like, because they’ll no longer be new and exciting and novel.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I still don't know why people seem to think Vegas will be able to repeat the success of this season.

With which players?

I don't think they will. I don't understand why people think the market is in trouble though. This has consolidated the markets feeling on Foley. That is huge, this already has done something Atlanta never could and some of the other franchises struggled to do for years. That is huge. When they struggle next year, they will still likely be an option to go to a game there in Vegas. They have concentrated on creating the environment, i.e. the Nashville model.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
If the insane rate of season ticket deposits is any indication whatsoever, Seattle should be borderline rabid for NHL hockey, regardless of on ice success. I read through the business thread, it seems like they will increase 2000 club seats to nearly 3500, based on much higher demand than anticipated (5000 deposits for club seats alone). I think that town is on track to have ample support from both the individual and corporate markets.

But yes, here's to hoping they get the actual product off to at least a decent start as well.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Tatar since the TDL

15 games played
3 goals
1 assist
s16-m-wilcox-jacket-saxonyblue.jpg

Reactions: WingedWheel1987

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Tampa does not look like a team built to win in the playoffs based on the last two games against Boston. With first in the division on the line I was expecting playoff intensity from both teams - Boston had it from start to finish, Tampa Bay, not so much.
They look like playoff fodder if that's all the effort and intensity they can muster.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I wonder if Stevie f***ed up his team's chemistry ...
Early model Holland got a little crazy at the deadline a few times with less than stellar results.
The Wings tended to do better when they added depth guys at the deadline. Adding huge-minute, big-name egos can mess with a locker room.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I wonder if Stevie ****ed up his team's chemistry ...
Early model Holland got a little crazy at the deadline a few times with less than stellar results.
The Wings tended to do better when they added depth guys at the deadline. Adding huge-minute, big-name egos can mess with a locker room.

they've been struggling since the all star break, its not just a post-deadline thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad