Around the NHL 2017-18: Stanley Cup Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
These Vegas jerseys look nicer on ice but the colors look a bit like Pittsburgh.
I figured they'd be a lot nicer on the eyes from a distance. Very similar to the early 90's Canucks. Logo still looks like an AntiVirus app, but in all fairness, creating a knights logo that's both original and nice-looking for a sports team in 2017 would be pretty difficult.

Last edited:

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
I figured they'd be a lot nicer on the eyes from a distance. Very similar to the early 90's Canucks. Logo still looks like an AntiVirus app, but in all fairness, creating a knights logo that's both original and nice-looking for a sports team in 2017 would be pretty difficult.

How about a knight on a horse but instead of the jousting weapon (wtf is that called), have a hockey stick.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
No way any trade beats the value of the would-have-been deals in the summer and at the last deadline. Duchene doesn't compartmentalize well and doesn't handle the off ice and media pressure well. It's a bad gamble for Sakic is he thinks Duchene will play at a 60-70 point pace to boost his value.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Hah, that'd basically be polo. Lance.

play-polo.jpg

:laugh:

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York

I'm actually a big fan of the logo they came up with :dunno:

AntiVirus app made me :laugh:

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
A hot take: I'm glad the NHL is calling more penalties so far on those slashes. Just need to remove more of the interference come playoff time and it'll be even better.

The league needs to do a better job at protecting the star players. It's the one league that lags far behind the others in that regard.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
A hot take: I'm glad the NHL is calling more penalties so far on those slashes. Just need to remove more of the interference come playoff time and it'll be even better.

The league needs to do a better job at protecting the star players. It's the one league that lags far behind the others in that regard.

NHL is still (still!) an old boys club and a lot of those guys played back in the day when the thought was if you couldn't fight through a bunch of slashes and hooking and a concussion or too then you were soft and not a real star. Hockey has its rep as a rough and tumble sport that somehow supersedes even that of US football. Change is slow.

While the penalties are really annoying at the moment, I think the purpose is to show teams and players the direction the league wants things to go while the games are meaningless. Might even carry over into the regular season a bit but players will adjust and penalties will go down (and I wouldn't be surprised to see refs loosen things up a bit as well).

I think interference, especially on dumpins, is here to stay though because players complained long and hard about that one when it came to defensemen getting lit up while trying to retrieve pucks

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I'm okay with the slashing penalties. Those break bones and lead to lots of injuries. I'm not so concerned about the stick-on-stick stuff, but obviously that can lead to misses that hit hands. Anything close to the hand area needs to be called though.

The face-off stuff is obnoxious. Guys will adjust, but it will be frustrating when it's called in a big spot in an important game. I understand why they want to enforce the rules but I hope they're a little more judicious in when they call it. Warning guys would also be good instead of going straight to the penalty call.

And just to clarify the face-off thing. People keep calling it a new rule. It's not a new rule. It's just the League making a concerted effort to enforce existing rules.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
The problem with the way they've been calling penalties now is that even basic stick checking is penalized as slashing.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I'm okay with the slashing penalties. Those break bones and lead to lots of injuries. I'm not so concerned about the stick-on-stick stuff, but obviously that can lead to misses that hit hands. Anything close to the hand area needs to be called though.

The face-off stuff is obnoxious. Guys will adjust, but it will be frustrating when it's called in a big spot in an important game. I understand why they want to enforce the rules but I hope they're a little more judicious in when they call it. Warning guys would also be good instead of going straight to the penalty call.

And just to clarify the face-off thing. People keep calling it a new rule. It's not a new rule. It's just the League making a concerted effort to enforce existing rules.

Everyone complains about how long it takes to drop the puck. The only reason it takes so long is because the linesmen are waiting for the centers to stop cheating. Enforcing this rule by the book will hopefully do that.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Everyone complains about how long it takes to drop the puck. The only reason it takes so long is because the linesmen are waiting for the centers to stop cheating. Enforcing this rule by the book will hopefully do that.

Exactly. It might be frustrating now, because the players keep infringing, but once they adjust to it, it will improve the face off process as a whole.

I still have 0 issues with the refs enforcing this rule (FINALLY). Why else have the face- off circles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad