KG

Sep 23, 2010
Suprise Yandle signed w/ Florida, not surprised at the contract

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
NMC for the first 6 years of Yandle's deal

This is the only part of the deal I don't like.

What a year for UFA defensemen. Almost all crap left. The best of the rest is probably (in no order)...

1. Demers
2. Campbell
3. Hamhuis
4. Russell
5. Liles
6. Polak
7. Schenn
8. Quincey
9. Boyle (retire?)
10. Schlemko/Grossmann

I mean there is something to be said when guys like Schlemko and Grossmann crack the Top 10.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Free agent "frenzy" getting substantially less interesting over the last couple days :laugh:

Teams with enough space to make hard to refuse offers will be more aggressive from this year on it seems.

I mean there is something to be said when guys like Schlemko and Grossmann crack the Top 10.

Schlemko is a good utility guy, had a good year for NJ. Wouldn't be surprised to see him back here. Grossmann can't play the modern game.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
Yandle to Florida? More reason to love the Panthers. Go Panthers! They can win 80 games but we need to win the 2 when they play the Yotes.

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
No questioning his offensive/transition game - but how would you guys describe his defensive play/ability? has it gotten any better? i know it was a concern earlier in his career...

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
No questioning his offensive/transition game - but how would you guys describe his defensive play/ability? has it gotten any better? i know it was a concern earlier in his career...

He will lose battles in his own zone against top competition. The good news is that his passes are so good that if your coach has half a brain, he's out there on the transition to offense, working his magic. Not defending.

He's good with his stick but he'll never be confused for any sort of shutdown defender.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Happy for Yandle, who steps into the best situation in his career, playing with a young and very skilled group of Florida forwards as well as being a presumptive partner to a future Norris winner in Ekbkad. Wouldn't be surprised if he hits 60+ points over the next few seasons and does it while not being sheltered.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014

Based upon my uneducated opinion, after watching him for years, the "Holy ****, Yandle!"'s and the "Holy ****, Yandle!"'s seem to even out over the season. Lot's of great plays, lot's of blown plays.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Based upon my uneducated opinion, after watching him for years, the "Holy ****, Yandle!"'s and the "Holy ****, Yandle!"'s seem to even out over the season. Lot's of great plays, lot's of blown plays.
LOL perfect description

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Btw the blue shirts are dumb fo4 how they utilized Yandlr

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

I think being partnered with the preternaturally talented Ekblad will do wonders for Yandle's overall play. But we'll see how it goes.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Looks like Florida overpaid to me, but I'm a firm believer in supply/demand, and the supply was very weak while demand is high. Good year to be a UFA d-man.

Yandle's numbers this past season are in line with his career averages (5-42-47)

I like the Goligoski (5-32-37) acquisition better. Less offense than Yandle, but probably better defensively.

Goligoski had a better playoff, .54 ppg to Yandles .2 ppg.

+/- is a tricky metric, but Yandle was burdened with a -4 this past year, while Goligoski sported a +21.

I know I'm biased, but happy for Yandle, more happy the Yotes picked up Goligoski...for less money.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Looks like Florida overpaid to me, but I'm a firm believer in supply/demand, and the supply was very weak while demand is high. Good year to be a UFA d-man.

Yandle's numbers this past season are in line with his career averages (5-42-47)

I like the Goligoski (5-32-37) acquisition better. Less offense than Yandle, but probably better defensively.

Goligoski had a better playoff, .54 ppg to Yandles .2 ppg.

+/- is a tricky metric, but Yandle was burdened with a -4 this past year, while Goligoski sported a +21.

Goligoski played nearly 20 minutes per night (more than OEL), while Yandle skated 17, a larger percentage on the PP.

I know I'm biased, but happy for Yandle, more happy the Yotes picked up Goligoski...for less money.

I have no idea why teams sign players for 7 yrs. It is plain stupid. That's what gets teams in cap hell, maybe not today or tomorrow, but eventually.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I have no idea why teams sign players for 7 yrs. It is plain stupid. That's what gets teams in cap hell, maybe not today or tomorrow, but eventually.

Keith will be 36 at the end of the contract. He could still be very valuable at that age, but my guess is 4 years from now (if not sooner) the fans will be griping.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Keith will be 36 at the end of the contract. He could still be very valuable at that age, but my guess is 4 years from now (if not sooner) the fans will be griping.

Actually, I think Yandle will be perfectly serviceable at 36. His defensive style of swinging his stick at the puck rather than hitting or checking people is low-wear and his body should hold up, and I think his reflexes will be fine. Only question will be how quickly his foot speed starts to fall off.

I like Yandle and am glad he got a good long-term deal to settle into with Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad