Around the NHL 2015-16, Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
The more I'm told by NYI fans about their young talent and their potentials, the more I'm convinced NYI misses playoffs outright next year. It happens every following year with one of these cinderella bad puck possession teams in the playoffs (12 Predators, 13 Leafs, 14 Avs, 15 Flames).

Depends on this offseason. Is okposo officially gone. And what the return is for hamonic if he is traded

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
Chicago and Pittsburgh have an insane amount of puck luck....it always seems to follow them. Here's to hoping Washington finds a way to come back.

Oct 18, 2006
Pittsburgh going to win again in a season where they fired their coach? Looking more likely.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
After 7 years in the NHL Hornqvist has arrived. His first years in Nashville I thought he was an ass clown, a poorly coordinated Holmstrom, and chuckled when the Penguins got him. Now? Damn he has blossomed into the scoring threat dreamed of by his fans. Really happy for him he's proved a lot of people wrong.

Weird that Schultz kid seems to be getting along ok now, hmm I wonder why that is?:sarcasm:

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
After 7 years in the NHL Hornqvist has arrived. His first years in Nashville I thought he was an ass clown, a poorly coordinated Holmstrom, and chuckled when the Penguins got him. Now? Damn he has blossomed into the scoring threat dreamed of by his fans. Really happy for him he's proved a lot of people wrong.

Weird that Schultz kid seems to be getting along ok now, hmm I wonder why that is?:sarcasm:

He's the exact same player he was in Nashville. Only idiots thought it was a bad trade for Pittsburgh.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
To everyone that's harped on Yzerman for drafting Drouin....

You see how good this kid is, right? Very talented player. This is why I have said many times to wait before you knock that pick.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

You see how good this kid is, right? Very talented player. This is why I have said many times to wait before you knock that pick.

drouin and kucherov are way stamkos will not get resigned in tampa

add to that palat, hedman and johnson

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Picking him over Seth Jones already cost them one cup in my opinion. It was the wrong player given what was on the board.

I will remain unchanged by that. You could have deployed Jones, Hedman and Stralman on ice for virtually the entire game.

Hedman and Jones would have been as lethal as Niedermayer and Pronger, Vladdy and Lidstrom. It had a mega wattage potential in terms of two #1's that can play together sometimes but anchor a pairing when apart and distribute the ice time to suffocating the other team for the entire game.

The bigger one with Yzerman and Drouin was he handled the rocky part of the relationship really well from and organizational perspective. That isn't all that surprising though, if there is one thing we know after all these years it is don't cross Yzerman. The guy wins all of those, sometimes immediately and sometimes eventually. Wouldn't be surprised at all if Drouin is now peddled for his worth, now that it is appropriately back up. People that feuded with Yzerman in Detroit all were shipped or lost significant power for doing it, Fedorov being the notable exception that took a long time. That seems to have carried on to Tampa as well, don't want to listen Downey you're gone, MSL here your ticket out whiner...

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Picking him over Seth Jones already cost them one cup in my opinion. It was the wrong player given what was on the board.

I will remain unchanged by that. You could have deployed Jones, Hedman and Stralman on ice for virtually the entire game.

Hedman and Jones would have been as lethal as Niedermayer and Pronger, Vladdy and Lidstrom. It had a mega wattage potential in terms of two #1's that can play together sometimes but anchor a pairing when apart and distribute the ice time to suffocating the other team for the entire game.

The bigger one with Yzerman and Drouin was he handled the rocky part of the relationship really well from and organizational perspective. That isn't all that surprising though, if there is one thing we know after all these years it is don't cross Yzerman. The guy wins all of those, sometimes immediately and sometimes eventually. Wouldn't be surprised at all if Drouin is now peddled for his worth, now that it is appropriately back up. People that feuded with Yzerman in Detroit all were shipped or lost significant power for doing it, Fedorov being the notable exception that took a long time. That seems to have carried on to Tampa as well, don't want to listen Downey you're gone, MSL here your ticket out whiner...

I understand the "should've taken Jones" angle. Although I thought Florida should have taken him too, in which case he's not even there for Tampa.

But people were making this pick out to be awful, not really realizing how good of a hockey player Jonathan Drouin is. I understand the character concerns and all, but the kid is an elite talent IMO, and he's starting to show it.

Cost them a Cup? Awfully bold statement. Not really sure I buy that. Prior to this year, he was playing behind second to third pair minutes. Ryan Ellis was seeing the ice more than hiim in Nashville. Hedman and Stralman is a really strong pairing, it's not like they are hurting in that regard.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I understand the "should've taken Jones" angle. Although I thought Florida should have taken him too, in which case he's not even there for Tampa.

But people were making this pick out to be awful, not really realizing how good of a hockey player Jonathan Drouin is. I understand the character concerns and all, but the kid is an elite talent IMO, and he's starting to show it.

I was surprised by that in terms of Florida, but unlike Drouin, Barkov I had as third entering that draft year and he has more than proven it is okay. Still prefer Jones there but Barkov looks to be a Top 10 center with Top 5 seasons moving forward.

Was never the biggest Drouin fan. The dipsy doodle hockey he plays is going to get him smoked a lot. I had him seventh in terms of how I felt in his draft year though admittedly he was just a toss up with Lindholm/Monohan with me just preferring those two as centers more to get the edge for me.

He has a lot of talent, wasn't expecting him to add the jam he has to his game. So this might work out better than I initially thought. Still I doubt I will ever eat my words on he shouldn't have been the pick there and I think he is always running as the fourth most talented NHLer from his draft even if he completely pans out. Not bad to be sure, but also not an uh oh... eat some crow moment though either.

Yes I maintain that not picking Jones has cost them a cup in my opinion. I think they could have had the best pairing in the NHL for a decade, Stralman could have provided stability for someone else. But they could have actually had Weber & Suter but with talented forwards in front of them. That is more important than another skilled winger.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Chicago and Pittsburgh have an insane amount of puck luck....it always seems to follow them. Here's to hoping Washington finds a way to come back.

Just watching the extended highlights, they do seem to be getting all the bounces in this series. Sign of a great team, or unsustainable over 6 weeks of playoff hockey?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I was surprised by that in terms of Florida, but unlike Drouin, Barkov I had as third entering that draft year and he has more than proven it is okay. Still prefer Jones there but Barkov looks to be a Top 10 center with Top 5 seasons moving forward.

Was never the biggest Drouin fan. The dipsy doodle hockey he plays is going to get him smoked a lot. I had him seventh in terms of how I felt in his draft year though admittedly he was just a toss up with Lindholm/Monohan with me just preferring those two as centers more to get the edge for me.

He has a lot of talent, wasn't expecting him to add the jam he has to his game. So this might work out better than I initially thought. Still I doubt I will ever eat my words on he shouldn't have been the pick there and I think he is always running as the fourth most talented NHLer from his draft even if he completely pans out. Not bad to be sure, but also not an uh oh... eat some crow moment though either.

Seventh??? Seriously? Wow.

I think they were banking on him transitioning and projecting at center. In which case he has significantly more value. Believe they sent him back to Halifax for that specific reason, but I think his game is just going to be more effective out on the wing.

I think he can be a really, really productive winger in this league though. Like Taylor Hall good.

Yes I maintain that not picking Jones has cost them a cup in my opinion. I think they could have had the best pairing in the NHL for a decade, Stralman could have provided stability for someone else. But they could have actually had Weber & Suter but with talented forwards in front of them. That is more important than another skilled winger.

Also know you are bullish on Jones, which I mean, I definitely get. Almost had him #1 in that draft over Mackinnon, he was firmly at #2 for me though. I think you (IIRC) were proclaiming he was better than Weber from pretty early, and I thought that was premature. Don't even think he's there yet, but I really like his ceiling and trajectory moving forward. I think he passes both Drouin and Barkov in time.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia

Nah, injuries and getting worn down cost them the cup. Their defensive depth was solid. Jones was pretty good last year, but he's still developing.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I wish Parks and Rec was as good as The Office. Hornqvist is the best net front guy in the league, you are holding Abby to a lofty standard.

Hey man. I think it's fairly close. I think 7 seasons of Park ended up being better than 9 seasons of the Office. But the Office had a better peak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad