Around the NHL 2015-16: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
A little surprised they scratched Nurse today, especially after their post-Ottawa smashing lovefest for him.

(Ah, and already rumblings from their board to fire McLellan. Nice to see it's not only our fans.)

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Remember when Larkin was Detroit's version of Girgensons? Yikes lol.

Man, wasn't there a rumour we could've had him for Myers last year?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

In his draft year, he was the player Murray wanted to trade back into the 1st round to get.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Two shinebox games for the Oilers after many of the talking heads figured McDavid's return would lead to a playoff push for Edmonton.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
It's hard to accept Edmonton is still in the tank like this. Mainly because eventually they are going to have a super team, but not by design.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007

I thought it was that Buffalo wanted Larkin from Detroit in a Myers trade. I don't recall there ever being anything about an actual offer from Detroit including Larkin.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
It's hard to accept Edmonton is still in the tank like this. Mainly because eventually they are going to have a super team, but not by design.

Nah, they need to serve as a warning about the a losing culture. Edmonton has a world of talent, but they lack resilience. One of the reasons that Murray has overpaid for vets like Moulson, Gionta, and O'Reilly. You can't let "the kids" try to run the room without good veterans who know how to win.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I thought it was that Buffalo wanted Larkin from Detroit in a Myers trade. I don't recall there ever being anything about an actual offer from Detroit including Larkin.

Yeah, I don't think Detroit was going to do any deal involving Larkin.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
That the Oil didn't find a way to get Seth Jones given their stable of high-end forwards still blows my mind.

30Yonge

Jan 24, 2014
In his draft year, he was the player Murray wanted to trade back into the 1st round to get.

How do we know this?

Was Larkin who he targeted with the 'NBA trade?'
Should 'I went from late teens to twenties' and 'I offered three seconds to seven teams'
be viewed as two distinct actions?
Or was Murray after a mid-first pre-draft?

Thanks

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
How do we know this?

Was Larkin who he targeted with the 'NBA trade?'
Should 'I went from late teens to twenties' and 'I offered three seconds to seven teams'
be viewed as two distinct actions?
Or was Murray after a mid-first pre-draft?

Thanks

Pretty sure the story goes that Murray was offering all of his 3 2nds in that draft to every team....and then once Larkin got drafted, he stopped. There was also a story floating around that Murray REALLY liked the USNTDP players in that draft.

Put 2 and 2 together and it kind of makes sense. Also the rumors from Detroit that he lusted after Larkin in a Myers deal.

jamers

bleep bop bloop
Sep 17, 2011
Pretty sure the story goes that Murray was offering all of his 3 2nds in that draft to every team....and then once Larkin got drafted, he stopped. There was also a story floating around that Murray REALLY liked the USNTDP players in that draft.

Put 2 and 2 together and it kind of makes sense. Also the rumors from Detroit that he lusted after Larkin in a Myers deal.

He turned out to be right to want to do that. Knows his amateur talent.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013

Geez, if Murray had been able to pull that top-15 pick and got Larkin before Detroit. :laugh: In a hindsight, he should have offered more than those 2nd rounders. :cry:

30Yonge

Jan 24, 2014

My assumption was Murray was making those offers in close to real time
and that is why he mentioned approaching seven teams from the high teens to early twenties (after Larkin was off the board.)

In reality, Murray may have made those offers at the start of the draft and then stopped once he hit pick ~22
because there was little hope that one of Larkin, Milano or Tuch would still be available.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad