Around the NHL 2014-15, Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
2015 2nd and 2016 3rd for Jagr.

That would be too rich for my blood. I don't think he's an impact guy anymore. And he's the textbook definition of rental.

But hey, if you want a free 2nd round pick next year, sign Jagr and let him play 50 games for you.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Brady Trettenero ‏@BradyTrett 7m7 minutes ago
Jagr in 1992: "I want to be traded where there's beaches. I have 2 Stanley Cups. I don't need more rings. I need money, beaches and girls."

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Holy ****. What a trade! Horton for Clarkson. One albatross for another.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
LOL Columbus what are doing?

I have no idea. I guess they want a player that is healthy, but Clarkson? And his contract? Yikes.

If Clarkson can be traded, anybody can be traded. 26 points in 118 games for the Leafs. $5.25 million cap hit until 2020.

EDIT: Here's some explanation.

WOW, CBJ trades Horton to TOR for Clarkson straight up.

Explanation - Horton's contract was uninsured, so CBJ was having to pay him no matter what. They moved him for Clarkson so that they're at least paying someone to play, and who knows, maybe he can turn it around there.

Toronto opens up just under $6.000M in cap space with this move, and for them, paying Horton is nothing.

Last edited:

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Like I said in the other thread, really ****ing dumb of Columbus to give a beacoup salary to Horton knowing he wouldn't be insured. He's a glass man. And Columbus isn't Toronto. According to Forbes, Columbus has the 2nd least value of all NHL franchises (worst being Florida).

And at first I was thinking Columbus had traded for Horton. But then I realized they signed him in free agency, which makes this even worse. Its nearly as dumb as the Clarkson deal.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I can't believe they didn't insure his contract. He had a serious injury history prior to that! Just utter stupidity.

There was a reason they didn't, financially. They gambled and lost.

Regardless, we're now seeing a NEW LOOPHOLE for rich teams. It doubt it becomes a common scenario, they time to close that loophole down if you are serious about the salary cap meaning anything. Toronto can throw money at their mistake and get off the hook, which I kind of hate.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I mean I guess having someone who can play is better than having someone who can't...

But when they're both bad contracts, give me the one I can actually LTIR. You're stuck with Clarkson.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I mean I guess having someone who can play is better than having someone who can't...

But when they're both bad contracts, give me the one I can actually LTIR. You're stuck with Clarkson.

It's Columbus, a smaller organization, not wanting to waste $25 million on a guy that doesn't even play. Toronto just sells a few more branded cup holders and slippers and calls it a day eating the cost.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
It's Columbus, a smaller organization, not wanting to waste $25 million on a guy that doesn't even play. Toronto just sells a few more branded cup holders and slippers and calls it a day eating the cost.

Good point. Sometimes the business side of the game completely slips my mind.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

Regardless, we're now seeing a NEW LOOPHOLE for rich teams. It doubt it becomes a common scenario, they time to close that loophole down if you are serious about the salary cap meaning anything. Toronto can throw money at their mistake and get off the hook, which I kind of hate.

Is it really a new loophole? I feel like its just a freak scenario that employs the Pronger loophole that has been around for a while.

What worries me is how much attention this has brought to the Pronger loophole. Really hope the league doesn't find some way to eliminate it. We're going to need it for Franzen.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I can't believe they didn't insure his contract. He had a serious injury history prior to that! Just utter stupidity.

Could be ala Lindros they couldn't get him insured. Even in what might be the insurance capitals of America. But if you cannot get insured, obviously you should think about passing, but my guess is this was the gamble. Not they didn't try and just took a chance, they were probably told no and moved ahead anyway. Different risk assessment that did in fact backfire.

I feel like somebody has been saying that since the day the new CBA was put in....:laugh:

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
What in the ****? Why would C-Bus do that? Idiots. Keep the guy you can LTIR not the piece of **** who is just Cleary bad.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Keep in mind a substantial amount of Clarkson's contract has actually been paid as well. Remember he had insane bonuses on the front of that. The Blue Jackets are saving a ton of money here and as a budget team the why not just LTIR him doesn't apply. They aren't pushing that kind of money on the table, they actually can add another player by doing this, they cannot do that just simply by using the LTIR on Horton. That is the real world angle on this.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Is it really a new loophole? I feel like its just a freak scenario that employs the Pronger loophole that has been around for a while.

What worries me is how much attention this has brought to the Pronger loophole. Really hope the league doesn't find some way to eliminate it. We're going to need it for Franzen.

I feel like somebody has been saying that since the day the new CBA was put in....:laugh:

While true, this is the first time we've seen a rich team take on a LTIR contract a poor team couldn't handle, right? So what I hope we don't see more of is teams like Toronto, New York, Montreal, etc using their buying power to convince teams like Arizona and Columbus to take their mistakes in exchange for monetary relief.

If this was Clarkson going on LTIR, eh, okay no big deal. He's hurt. But instead we're seeing Clarkson is still healthy AND Toronto gets out of their disaster contract. All because they can afford to eat the cost of another LTIR. Ugh, it's just ugly all around.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
What in the ****? Why would C-Bus do that? Idiots. Keep the guy you can LTIR not the piece of **** who is just Cleary bad.

His contract isn't insured, meaning they actually pay Horton not to play. That's a lot of money for a small market. At least Clarkson can play for them.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
His contract isn't insured, meaning they actually pay Horton not to play. That's a lot of money for a small market. At least Clarkson can play for them.

And again, a significant portion of Clarkson's ridiculous contract is actually already picked up in real dollars. It was a bonus heavy deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad