Around the NHL 2014-15, Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Ottawa didn't have a choice but to re-sign him after balking at so many other guys and losing Spezza, but Ryan is not a guy I would dump $7M into and make the de facto go-to guy up front. I just don't think he has it in him to carry the load.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Seems like bad timing to open the checkbook for a guy like Ryan. Should've paid to keep Alfredsson, which in turn makes Spezza less likely to want to leave, etc.

Paying a winger like Ryan over $7M is not savvy cap management, IMO.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Seems like bad timing to open the checkbook for a guy like Ryan. Should've paid to keep Alfredsson, which in turn makes Spezza less likely to want to leave, etc.

Paying a winger like Ryan over $7M is not savvy cap management, IMO.

If he can be a perennial 30 - 35 goal scorer. It's not that bad.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

When you're signing a player to that kind of money, the word "if" shouldn't be part of the equation. It only works when talking about a player like Franzen.

The likelyhood of Ryan getting more than 70 points a season is low. Look at the team he's on. They're going to be a low-scoring team, and Ryan isn't going to make up for it with his two-way play.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

Paying $7M for a winger who can score 30+ goals isn't really the bad part. Its paying him $7M while balking at the prices of your own free agents, other free agents, and even your team's long-term captain, leaving you with a very average looking team that now has a history of a disgruntled veteran wanting out seemingly every year.

Just my opinion, but paying $7M for a 30 goal winger is something you do when he's the missing piece to the puzzle - not when there are question marks littering your roster. Again, I realize why Ottawa had to do it, but they put themselves in that situation to begin with.

Its kind of a mess. Not sure what they're doing pinching pennies left and right (and publicly), but then handing out $12M to Bobby Ryan and Clarke McArthur. Yikes.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
There was an article on The Score recently that I read where Melnyk explained that Ottawa is not a corporate city, it is a government city. And the Sens can't drum up as much business that way. They can't give tickets to the government the way they could to a major local corp., and it hurts the Sens financially. They are super reliant on fans to take the initiative to order tickets way ahead of time, much more than say Toronto, Detroit, etc. where there are a lot of large companies that distribute tickets amongst their employees.

So, I kind of understand that maybe they just didn't have money at the appropriate time (making sure Alfredsson played out the rest of his days there, for example) but it still just seems like the wrong guy to shell out for. Bobby Ryan's most productive years came playing behind Getzlaf and Perry against opponents 2nd tier defenders. There is no denying the guy has talent, but I don't see him as the kind of player who creates a ton of offensive opportunity on his own. Luckily he is playing in a division with Toronto's blueline, Florida's blueline, Detroit's blueline, etc. so that probably helps, but I have to say if our team's best line was MacArthur - Turris - Ryan (or something roughly equivalent) and you're looking for a guy like Ryan to lead your charge (in terms of Fs, obviously Karlsson is going to be a big part of the team, too) I'd be extremely hesitant and probably really pissed at the team's GM.

For example, I'd much rather a guy like JVR who might not produce quite as much, but can play a great supporting role and uses his size and strength to create his own room/ offense. He scores a ton of ugly goals and is the type of player you can put anywhere in your top 9 and watch him excel. And he is almost half the price, for the time being.

Brandel*

team was imploding, pr disaster if they lost ryan for mediocre futures to nothing (and possibly methot)

if he were ufa this summer i dont think a single team would have given him that contract

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
team was imploding, pr disaster if they lost ryan for mediocre futures to nothing (and possibly methot)

if he were ufa this summer i dont think a single team would have given him that contract

I don't know what Philly would have done, I trust Hextall more but still some team like hey maybe Florida would have handed over that deal, I am surprised Ryan tied down with Ottawa.

One thought was yes the money was too good, plus it isn't like players haven't successfully got out of Ottawa once they wanted to. I am sure that is something his camp considered as well before putting pen to paper.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 2 t2 tuntia sitten
#CBJ offer now stands at $3.25M per for two years. Overhardt/Johansen now at $4.5M per year for two. So, $1.25M/year or $2.5M total.

Bruce Arthur ‏@bruce_arthur 13 s14 sekuntia sitten
Those guys do everything together RT @markhmasters: Kessel and Bozak out with lower-body injuries

Last edited:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 13 min13 minuuttia sitten
Expectation is CHI close to trading D Nick Leddy, who has been held out of pre-season games (to protect asset). That would ease cap crunch.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 23 s23 sekuntia sitten
BOS puts Jordan Caron on waivers.

and bruins board erupts in cheers.

Arthur Staple @StapeNewsday · 3 min
#Isles are very close to acquiring CHI D Nick Leddy, according to sources. Have not heard what would go back to CHI yet.

Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday 11 min11 minuuttia sitten
Breaking: #Isles have acquired D Johnny Boychuk from the Bruins for a 2015 2nd, a 2016 2nd and a conditional 2015 3rd round pick.

eklund also says we're in on leddy, fwiw.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brandel*

Arthur Staple @StapeNewsday · 3 min
#Isles are very close to acquiring CHI D Nick Leddy, according to sources. Have not heard what would go back to CHI yet.

Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday 11 min11 minuuttia sitten
Breaking: #Isles have acquired D Johnny Boychuk from the Bruins for a 2015 2nd, a 2016 2nd and a conditional 2015 3rd round pick.

eklund also says we're in on leddy, fwiw.

worth nothing

nice upgrade for isles, wonder what the leddy cost will be

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
The Islanders got the better of the Bruins in that trade, though Boychuk is only under contract for another year. And before anyone asks, no... the Bruins would not have traded Boychuk to a divisional rival.

Leddy? Meh. Another left-handed, offensive type. Not what we need, and we've got plenty of them growing in the minors.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
The Islanders got the better of the Bruins in that trade, though Boychuk is only under contract for another year. And before anyone asks, no... the Bruins would not have traded Boychuk to a divisional rival.

Leddy? Meh. Another left-handed, offensive type. Not what we need, and we've got plenty of them growing in the minors.

What? 2 2nds and a 3rd for one year of Boychuk? How on earth did they get the better of the Bruins??The Bs don't even need Boychuk and they got THREE solid picks for him while adding ZERO salary. There's no way they could've or would've retained Boychuk after this season anyways, what with Hamilton and Krug re-upping soon.

Chiarelli is a boss. He signs 2 kids who had great seasons to ridiculous underpayments, using his lack of cap space as his main leverage and then manages to further alleviate the payroll jam by getting solid value for a superfluous, albeit solid, guy.

Chiarelli has increasingly put Holland to shame since his tenure began with the Bruins.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

We need better puck movement from the backend. While I agree about having guys in development who could fit that bill, Leddy has already proven to do it. I want to know where he fits on our roster, though, too. If we hadn't signed Quincey, there would have been a perfect spot for Leddy to slide into. ...

edit: nevermind, still trying to catch up on the day and didn't see Leddy was already moved to NYI.

Brandel*

I'm not high on Pokka so I'd be happy with the moves Snow made today

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Damn, I kind of wanted Boychuk. Especially over someone like Quincey. Good for the Isles.

Yeah, Boychuk would have been quite the benefit. But it was in the division, so that's one hurdle. The second hurdle is the Bruins were moving salary out without taking any in. Another hurdle is two 2nds and a 3rd (conditional) is pretty pricey if you consider the Wings drafting. Over the last couple years that works out into...

3rd: (2014) Turgeon, (2013) Janmark, (2012) Paterson
2nd: (2013) Nastasiuk, Bertuzzi, (2012) Frk, (2011) Jurco, Ouellet, Sproul

Losing 3 guys off that list could be rough. It would work out okay if you cherry pick the worst ones. And with guys like Tatar and Nyquist in round 2 and 4, you have to think the Wings always have that in the back of their mind. I know I would have that in my mind.

Islanders are in a position to throw around picks to finally fill out their roster. I'm not sure the Wings are in that position with no clear heir to the center throne. On the other hand, the glut of prospects in the system is becoming more apparent each passing year.

I've also just reminded myself Quincey is signed next year as well. Ugh.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
What? 2 2nds and a 3rd for one year of Boychuk? How on earth did they get the better of the Bruins??The Bs don't even need Boychuk and they got THREE solid picks for him while adding ZERO salary. There's no way they could've or would've retained Boychuk after this season anyways, what with Hamilton and Krug re-upping soon.

Chiarelli is a boss. He signs 2 kids who had great seasons to ridiculous underpayments, using his lack of cap space as his main leverage and then manages to further alleviate the payroll jam by getting solid value for a superfluous, albeit solid, guy.

Chiarelli has increasingly put Holland to shame since his tenure began with the Bruins.

value is very nice for bruins but they definitely needed boychuk and are going to miss him.

this kind of goes against everything they did in the seguin trade. win now.

Brandel*

Yeah, Boychuk would have been quite the benefit. But it was in the division, so that's one hurdle. The second hurdle is the Bruins were moving salary out without taking any in. Another hurdle is two 2nds and a 3rd (conditional) is pretty pricey if you consider the Wings drafting. Over the last couple years that works out into...

3rd: (2014) Turgeon, (2013) Janmark, (2012) Paterson
2nd: (2013) Nastasiuk, Bertuzzi, (2012) Frk, (2011) Jurco, Ouellet, Sproul

Losing 3 guys off that list could be rough. It would work out okay if you cherry pick the worst ones. And with guys like Tatar and Nyquist in round 2 and 4, you have to think the Wings always have that in the back of their mind. I know I would have that in my mind.

Islanders are in a position to throw around picks to finally fill out their roster. I'm not sure the Wings are in that position with no clear heir to the center throne. On the other hand, the glut of prospects in the system is becoming more apparent each passing year.

I've also just reminded myself Quincey is signed next year as well. Ugh.

well, the conditions for the 3rd rd pick will never be met, it's really only two 2nds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad