Around the NHL 2014-15, Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Craig Custance @CraigCustance · 12h 12 hours ago
It was Columbus that approached the Maple Leafs about the Clarkson/Horton swap. Creative proposition to get someone on the ice contributing.

i'm a jarmo fan but this is brutal.

B-2idebW8AAKUJc.png

east matchups look a lot more interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
i'm a jarmo fan but this is brutal.

Why? Makes sense to me. Cash strapped team which has to pay out $5M per year no matter what. May as well pay it to a player on the ice rather than someone on LTIR for the next 5 years.

Not to mention Clarkson may turn it around away from the pressure of the goldfish bowl in Toronto. Not enough to make him worth his paycheck, but at least enough that you're getting something for your money.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Why? Makes sense to me. Cash strapped team which has to pay out $5M per year no matter what. May as well pay it to a player on the ice rather than someone on LTIR for the next 5 years.

Not to mention Clarkson may turn it around away from the pressure of the goldfish bowl in Toronto. Not enough to make him worth his paycheck, but at least enough that you're getting something for your money.

they were after clarkson. they even called toronto about him before/at the start of the season. i'm not sure if clarkson is a player one wants on the ice in 3-5 years.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
The Beautiful Game

by igor larionov.

highly recommended.
i love the soviet style of hockey (watch video from original 6, then video of soviets. soviets are much more interesting and skilled. look at the huge difference in the transition game and the coordination of the offense. they contributed massively to the modern NHL), but i think his article is a bit misleading.

i think he is exaggerating how much hockey has converted to north/south dump and chase, and downplaying the level of skill and east west play.

soviet style also coincided with famously weak team D and superior fitness of soviets. would their style be as celebrated if team D had been better? would it be as celebrated if they had not been able to outskate almost all their opponents, including NHLers?

imo, larionov exaggerates when he alleges that the general culture and preferences of managers and coaches are killing creativity and skill. his statement that it's easier to destroy than to create is the primary reason. it's especially true b/c of how hockey works. the goal is small, especially relative to the players, and the ice is big. players have to control a small, bouncy object with a long stick. those things make the sport almost inherently chaotic and easy to disrupt.

it has been happening for a very long time. '20s ottawa dynasty, '25 victoria, '34 chicago, '35 maroons, '40s TML dynasty, '60s TML dynasty, '70s flyers, '80s/early '90s habs, '90s/2000s NJD, boston and LAK recently.

it's also a bit ironic to invoke datsyuk, since datsyuk is clearly one of the most disruptive players in history, and did not become an elite player until he combined his skill and creativity with the ability to destroy the offense of creative players.

if everyone were like datsyuk, what would happen? would hockey be creative and beautiful, like datsyuk, or would it be constant disruption of offense, also like datsyuk?

i agree with that. good coach, system, responsible two way Fs that but into the system and work hard.
blueline is subpar, imo, but system and F's really help.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
if everyone were like datsyuk, what would happen? would hockey be creative and beautiful, like datsyuk, or would it be constant disruption of offense, also like datsyuk?

It would be like the shift against the Blackhawks the other night when he and Hossa chased each other back and forth up the ice. That was awesome :yo:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
SiriusXM NHL Network ‏@SiriusXMNHL 4m4 minutes ago New Jersey, USA
BREAKING TRADE- @FlaPanthers trade Tomas Fleischmann to the @AnaheimDucks for Dany Heatley and a 3rd round pick in 2015

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
For a 32 year old pending UFA with 13 goals. Or am I missing something?

Hawks are desperate. Not having a great season, lost Kane for what will likely be the first round or two (if they make it that far) and if the cap goes down or stays the same, those cap hits for Kane and Toews are going to beat down the Hawks depth and they could even lose Seabrook.

Don't know why people are so shocked by the prices when the teams paying them are the ones desperate to go far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->