Around the NHL 2012-2013 II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
This is pure speculation on my part, but I believe Nill knew the Wings would be making an offer to Gonchar and he moved a conditional pick to negotiate early.

Quote from Nill:
"I come from the model in Detroit and we’ve had a lot of success with the older players that look after themselves and bring veteran presence."

The Wings don't need Gonchar. They are rebuilding their defense from within and I prefer that route.

Nill just addressed a weakness Dallas had and that's it. I guess it's a good move to go for him early since other teams might be interested, but Detroit wouldn't be one of those teams.

Cbdudek

May 15, 2013
Grand Rapids, MI
www.nightfall.net
2 goals for the Pens in 4 games.

Guys, the Penguins have Malkin, Crosby, Letang, Neal, Iginla, Kunitz. Guys like Dupuis and Martin who aren't slouches either. Unbelievable.

Many of my friends penciled in the Pens as being the Cup champs after they made all those moves at the deadline. Iginla and Morrow were the missing pieces to the puzzle in the eyes of the Pens GM. Now, everything he gave away to get those guys is going to be viewed as a waste.

I am glad to see the Pens gone from cup contention. Now if the Hawks get beat as well, I will be even happier.

Remember how Iginla turned down Boston to go play for the Pens? I bet that stings right about now.

Cbdudek

May 15, 2013
Grand Rapids, MI
www.nightfall.net
I think the officials decide games just as much by swallowing their whistles as by calling everything. While I'm not thrilled with flowless special teams exhibitions, I'm also not entertained by clutch and grab fests and goon squads. I'm not really sure what can be done or what way the pendulum should swing on it, though.

I hear you man and I agree. I guess that I feel that games should be called just like they are in the regular season. Course, then the fans get upset when little hooks and trips are called. If these games were called like the regular season, we would see 10 power plays per team instead of the 3-5 like we are seeing now.

As you said though, I really don't know what can be done. All I do know is that hockey is my favorite sport to watch. Playoffs or regular season, I really enjoy the games. Doesn't matter if everything is called in the regular season or next to nothing is called in the playoffs.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
I think the officials decide games just as much by swallowing their whistles as by calling everything. While I'm not thrilled with flowless special teams exhibitions, I'm also not entertained by clutch and grab fests and goon squads. I'm not really sure what can be done or what way the pendulum should swing on it, though.

Honest question for you Winger, and I promise not to judge (well, I'll probably judge the hell out of whatever you choose to write but will try to keep it to myself :laugh:)... it seems like you're referring to the Bruins and how they play- do you not like watching them or their style? I guess that I don't view them as the Devils of the '90's and early 2000's when I felt like they set the sport of hockey back 40 years every time they took the ice.

I'm only asking b/c while I loved watching the Wings style in their puck possession prime a few years ago, I also really like the swagger, physicality and tenacity that Boston brings in the playoffs. I could be in the minority on the board, but I'm okay with either playing style. Thoughts?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Honest question for you Winger, and I promise not to judge (well, I'll probably judge the hell out of whatever you choose to write but will try to keep it to myself :laugh:)... it seems like you're referring to the Bruins and how they play- do you not like watching them or their style? I guess that I don't view them as the Devils of the '90's and early 2000's when I felt like they set the sport of hockey back 40 years every time they took the ice.

I'm only asking b/c while I loved watching the Wings style in their puck possession prime a few years ago, I also really like the swagger, physicality and tenacity that Boston brings in the playoffs. I could be in the minority on the board, but I'm okay with either playing style. Thoughts?

I don't think it's a Boston thing, but an NHL thing. In the past, you could be pretty sure of what was going to be allowed on the ice and what wasn't, and you could build a team/gameplan accordingly. Now, half the time I don't know what's going on with where the refs are and what's going to be allowed/called. I sit through it with the Wings because I'm a Wings fan, but when I don't have a rooting interest I just want to be entertained. Watching all of the obstruction/interference, questionable hits, etc. just isn't very entertaining. If you want to play a defensive, phsyical game that's fine, and that can be entertaining, but there's just too much junk going on to interest me. I think LA is the same way, and St. Louis. Z Era's comparison to the old Anaheim teams is pretty dead on to me.

With the old Jersey teams, I think everyone had a better idea for what to expect, and those old Jersey teams skated a lot, and took the body. The "defensive" play that is supposed to have been copied from them gave them a worse reputation than their actual play in the mid-90s warranted. edit: though by the late 90s/early 2000s they were just as brutal as most of the teams they copied.

further edit: So I guess I just want to know what to expect when I tune in, and so I know if it's worth my time. Hockey loses its appeal a bit when it becomes a question of who can bend the rules the furthest, or who just ends up with the most favorable reffing (whether or not you get guys who call a lot of penalties or very few).

I hear you man and I agree. I guess that I feel that games should be called just like they are in the regular season. Course, then the fans get upset when little hooks and trips are called. If these games were called like the regular season, we would see 10 power plays per team instead of the 3-5 like we are seeing now.

As you said though, I really don't know what can be done. All I do know is that hockey is my favorite sport to watch. Playoffs or regular season, I really enjoy the games. Doesn't matter if everything is called in the regular season or next to nothing is called in the playoffs.

Yeah, I wish they'd just call the regular season and playoffs the same. What seems to have been really bad this year isn't just the difference between the regular season and the playoffs, but from game to game and series to series. The reffing from the Wings/Hawks series and the Bruins/Pens series look like two different leagues. I should be able to watch a couple of games here, and have a reasonable expectation for watching a couple of games somewhere else.

Cbdudek

May 15, 2013
Grand Rapids, MI
www.nightfall.net
Yeah, I wish they'd just call the regular season and playoffs the same. What seems to have been really bad this year isn't just the difference between the regular season and the playoffs, but from game to game and series to series. The reffing from the Wings/Hawks series and the Bruins/Pens series look like two different leagues. I should be able to watch a couple of games here, and have a reasonable expectation for watching a couple of games somewhere else.

I really can't say the reffing between the series in the playoffs have been different. I can say there is a stark difference between the playoffs and the regular season though. The difference in reffing in the playoffs is noticeable even if you just look at the stat sheets. The number of penalties are down. The number of power plays are down as well.

I have been an ice hockey referee for a few years now. I have done games from youth to adult and travel to house. Every game is a little different. It would seem to me that games would all be a little different through the course of the NHL season and playoffs. We would see tight games called and then very loose games called at times. Instead, what we are seeing is a "call everything" attitude in the regular season and a "call only what is necessary" in the playoffs.

It would seem to me that just having the refs call their game would result in more games having no real expectation. First game of the season it could be a 2-4 penalty affair while in Game 7 of the cup finals you could have a 15-20 penalty affair. We really don't see the march to the penalty box in the postseason.

I guess I am not hung up as much on the "standard of officiating" that many fans talk about. Through the playoffs, the standard has been loose. Through the regular season, the standard is tight. The human factor is what makes the games and the results of the games a topic of discussion.

Either way, I firmly believe the better team wins a 7 game series.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
A real amazing storyline is how close the Bruins were to losing in round 1. Like SUPER close. Stupidly close. Eighty-two seconds, to be exact.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
A real amazing storyline is how close the Bruins were to losing in round 1. Like SUPER close. Stupidly close. Eighty-two seconds, to be exact.

Clearly, the Pens choked here. :sarcasm:

I'm going to hate Boston in four months, but for now, GO BRUINS!!!!

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
The Pens went all out, and still lost... But dang, Iginla leaving the pens will screw up all the rosterbation I did the other day....

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 12 min
Gonchar and the Stars have reached agreement on a 2 yr deal, believed to be $5 mil per, $10 mil total. Pending signed paperwork.

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 6 min
Busy wknd for Stars GM, Jim Nill who is also expected to meet with coaching candidate Dallas Eakins.

Last edited:

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 12 min
Gonchar and the Stars have reached agreement on a 2 yr deal, believed to be $5 mil per, $10 mil total. Pending signed paperwork.

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 6 min
Busy wknd for Stars GM, Jim Nill who is also expected to meet with coaching candidate Dallas Eakins.

Hehehe... Dallas Eakins coaching the Dallas Stars... PR/marketing guy outta love that

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 21 s
I believe the Oilers will announce Ralph Krueger is out as head coach, but they may not announce his replacement for a few days.

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 17 s
The Oilers are keen on Dallas Eakins. Wouldn't be surprised if he's named this week. Eakins was also in running for Stars and Canucks.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I think the Oilers lack player leadership, not bench leadership. I don't sense a ton of leadership between Hall/RNH/Eberle/Yakupov/Schultz which pretty much is their core now.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
I think the Oilers lack player leadership, not bench leadership. I don't sense a ton of leadership between Hall/RNH/Eberle/Yakupov/Schultz which pretty much is their core now.

Dan Cleary to the rescue!

A man can dream can't he?

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Dan Cleary to the rescue!

A man can dream can't he?

I've been saying it for awhile now, Cleary is the exact type of guy they need in their locker-room. Oilers management would be smart to pick him in FA, but then again the words "smart" and "oilers management" don't belong in the same sentence.

fimoknete

Jun 4, 2006
Roesrath, Germany
indeed it looke strange. i didnt notice the position on the refs at all. maybe they couldnt see it clearly.
nevertheless, no game should be decided by a call like that. regardless of the teams.
actually i didnt mind too much because i liked all the last 4 teams.
hopefully hte kings can come back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad