Around The NHL #2 - Playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Habs just re-signed Weal, 2 x 1.4

Good for him. I must admit I was a bit pulled down by the jokes. He did have good results with the Yotes too, he was a part of a great strech, wasn't he.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Friedman reports that Tippett interviewed for the Sabres coaching job and evidently it went very well.

Maybe so much for Seattle?

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Friedman reports that Tippett interviewed for the Sabres coaching job and evidently it went very well.

Maybe so much for Seattle?

He’s been saying all along that he’s only looking at an exec position with Seattle.

So it better be a big offer. Owner’s got the money for it.

Reactions: Mosby

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
He’s been saying all along that he’s only looking at an exec position with Seattle.

So it better be a big offer. Owner’s got the money for it.
You expected him to say he really wanted to coach, but teams haven't been interested, perhaps? Are you aware of who Dave Tippett is as a human being? He just wants a W and to be the decision-maker. He's not going to be happy as just another voice in the office without real power or a connection to the lockerroom and what is actually happening.

Not sure Buffalo is the right spot for him, but good for him, I guess.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
You expected him to say he really wanted to coach, but teams haven't been interested, perhaps? Are you aware of who Dave Tippett is as a human being? He just wants a W and to be the decision-maker. He's not going to be happy as just another voice in the office without real power or a connection to the lockerroom and what is actually happening.

Not sure Buffalo is the right spot for him, but good for him, I guess.

It wasn’t just the job.... he’s got family living in Seattle as well.

So yeah... being a human being (as you put it) involves a lot of different factors.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Curious why Buffalo. He turned down LA twice, first with the Desjardins hire then with McLellan. He turned down Edmonton so they went to Hitchcock. He interviewed with Detroit last year though.

It seems the "maybe I still want to coach" stuff started around the same time Quenneville went to Florida, so I wonder if being unable to bring his buddy to Seattle made him reconsider some things. I do agree that Buffalo is a weird fit. That's not a Tippett team. I actually like Carter Hutton but the defense isn't up to snuff. It'd be fun to see Tippett work with a talent like Eichel though. The best he's ever had our second-tier guys like Doan and Morrow and an over-the-hill Modano.

Tippett is a $4 million coach by current rates. We were paying him about 5 mil, if memory serves. That's probably what Buffalo will have to do to get him to walk away from Seattle ... 4 mil for coaching, and another million to leave Seattle, move to the most depressing city in America, and take the wife away from the grandkids to go live there.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Curious why Buffalo. He turned down LA twice, first with the Desjardins hire then with McLellan. He turned down Edmonton so they went to Hitchcock. He interviewed with Detroit last year though.

It seems the "maybe I still want to coach" stuff started around the same time Quenneville went to Florida, so I wonder if being unable to bring his buddy to Seattle made him reconsider some things. I do agree that Buffalo is a weird fit. That's not a Tippett team. I actually like Carter Hutton but the defense isn't up to snuff. It'd be fun to see Tippett work with a talent like Eichel though. The best he's ever had our second-tier guys like Doan and Morrow and an over-the-hill Modano.

Tippett is a $4 million coach by current rates. We were paying him about 5 mil, if memory serves. That's probably what Buffalo will have to do to get him to walk away from Seattle ... 4 mil for coaching, and another million to leave Seattle, move to the most depressing city in America, and take the wife away from the grandkids to go live there.
Eichel and Dahlin is prob pretty tempting

Reactions: Sinurgy and Jakey53

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I imagine all the "Tippett only coached that way because he had no offense"-people are about to have their beliefs challenged. Lol Soon it will morph to Tippett only coaches that way because the d is bad in Buffalo.

He might get decent results for a year or two if they buy in. I look forward to the chance to poach Mittlestadt and Tage Thompson for Goligoski, Richardson, and Chipchura's current cell number next January.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I imagine all the "Tippett only coached that way because he had no offense"-people are about to have their beliefs challenged. Lol Soon it will morph to Tippett only coaches that way because the d is bad in Buffalo.

He might get decent results for a year or two if they buy in. I look forward to the chance to poach Mittlestadt and Tage Thompson for Goligoski, Richardson, and Chipchura's current cell number next January.
I'm not sure that Tippett can't and won't adapt. I don't think he would have here though. A few years off of the job may have given him some chances to rethink some things.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

The Kings are old, and Edmonton has talent but is a tire fire, so Buffalo who has a ton of talent would be a pretty good job, if you like winter, or if you get over paid.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Well, it's true. the good coaches set up a system around the strengths of your talent.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

In Tippett's first 5 seasons, we averaged 2.60 GF per game. Obviously, once the team became a shell of itself defensively, that hurt the offense significantly.

Even Tocchet and the players spoke of how the team prided itself on solid defense this past year. The team averaged 2.55 GF per game this past year.

Sounds to me like a lot more coaches preach defense than offense. I mean, 6 of the top 7 offensive teams in the playoffs by GF per game in the regular season were bounced in the first round this year. 5 of the top 7 in GA are still in.

There is historical proof that defense is more likely to win championships, so your argument is that Tippett will wear his welcome out by coaching a style that will likely get your team into the postseason? I would welcome that style any day of the week, but I digress.

Possible that I'd he does wind up taking the position in Buffalo, money can be spent on players who help transition him into a slightly more up-tempo look. But he and Chayka appeared to at least have some traits in common regarding the views of stats and metrics to help figure out areas to improve. Even if he doesn't change tactics, he will probably get more out of the team than his predecessor, much like what happened here.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
6 of the top 7 offensive teams in the playoffs by GF per game in the regular season were bounced in the first round this year. 5 of the top 7 in GA are still in.

So maybe "defense wins championships" has some merit.

On the other hand, during the regular season the top 7 teams in scoring made the playoffs. The bottom 9 in scoring only one.

The top 5 defensive teams made the playoffs. Who was #6? You guessed it.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
The other thing is Tippett looks a lot better than some of the other names Buffalo is floating ... Gronberg, Martin, Smith.

Buffalo has pretty much been a joke for a decade. They have to get this call right. Botterill certainly does, or he's gone.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
So maybe "defense wins championships" has some merit.

On the other hand, during the regular season the top 7 teams in scoring made the playoffs. The bottom 9 in scoring only one.

The top 5 defensive teams made the playoffs. Who was #6? You guessed it.

The only reason why 6 of the top 7 defensive teams didnt make it to the next round was because Dallas and St. Louis played each other. Ironically enough, no teams in the top 10 of GF played against each other in the first round.

We still need some goal scoring, but defense kept us in the hunt for most of the year. A revolving door of lineup changes with our best defensive forward out (Grabner) and missed time between some of our D and goalies was the major issue. Might make others realize that maybe Pittsburgh wasn't quite as predicated on the "score as much as you can" theory and that defense helped lead to good offense (along with having Crosby and Malkin on your team).

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Yeah, gotta feel for a guy like Jeff Skinner. Seemed like a good idea, but after spending 8 long years in Carolina, he goes to Buffalo and the Canes blow up.
Fortunately Skinner's a UFA and can pick his next home. Interested to see where he lands......pretty sure it won't be here.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Noone hates defense. The only coach I've really liked here was Schoeny, and he was a defensive coach. Build some other strawman.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ

If their belief is challenged they will surely come up with an excuse to explain it away just like you'll surely come up with excuses if he does well. I'm not sure I've ever witnessed such stubborn and entrenched groups as the Tippet is God and the Tippet is Satan people. :laugh:

Reactions: Matias Maccete

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
If their belief is challenged they will surely come up with an excuse to explain it away just like you'll surely come up with excuses if he does well. I'm not sure I've ever witnessed such stubborn and entrenched groups as the Tippet is God and the Tippet is Satan people. :laugh:
He could do well there. I said as much. I don't see them as a great fit, personally, but we'll see. I've said a million times that he's a good coach with a veteran team who can squeeze more from veteran players. He's just stubborn and terrible at development which he himself sees as not his job. He's said as much. He also has a short shelf life which is why we hit the skids despite letting him pick his own roster and bench people for 40 games at a time while we pretended a Cinderella run was the "real" Coyotes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad