Around The NHL #2 - Playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
He could do well there. I said as much. I don't see them as a great fit, personally, but we'll see. I've said a million times that he's a good coach with a veteran team who can squeeze more from veteran players. He's just stubborn and terrible at development which he himself sees as not his job. He's said as much. He also has a short shelf life which is why we hit the skids despite letting him pick his own roster and bench people for 40 games at a time while we pretended a Cinderella run was the "real" Coyotes.
The only Coyotes coach to make the playoffs 3 years in a row and our only WCF birth, doing it with mirrors, multiple owners and no budget. Lets see Tocc or anybody, I mean anybody, equal or beat those accomplishments as a Coyotes coach.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The only Coyotes coach to make the playoffs 3 years in a row and our only WCF birth, doing it with mirrors, multiple owners and no budget. Lets see Tocc or anybody, I mean anybody, equal or beat those accomplishments as a Coyotes coach.
Exactly.DT will turn Buffalo around overnight with that talent.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Even if Buffalo gets back to respectability, that division is a bit of a nightmare. Tampa, Toronto, Boston will all be good again. Montreal is right there, so is Florida. Detroit isn't far off either.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Even if Buffalo gets back to respectability, that division is a bit of a nightmare. Tampa, Toronto, Boston will all be good again. Montreal is right there, so is Florida. Detroit isn't far off either.
If DT gets hired, time will tell.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I backed Tippett in AZ up until he didn't want to move on from Smith and Doan. It was time. But I wish him well. He's the best coach in franchise history. There better be a jumbotron tribute at the ready when the Sabres come into Glendale.

Good post.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I turned on him in 2014-15 when we all knew we had to rebuild, but hung on to the garbage instead. It's not all on Tipp. Noone has ever said Tippett was the only problem with the franchise. But he was a godawful fit for where we had to go. Keeping him and trying to force it to work set back the franchise.

If we'd fired him when the wheels fell off, I'd have only fond memories. Instead we went through a grueling multi-year breakup process until it was untenable for everyone to the point that rumours were he was about to be fired with cause. That's basically unheard of.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I turned on him in 2014-15 when we all knew we had to rebuild, but hung on to the garbage instead. It's not all on Tipp. Noone has ever said Tippett was the only problem with the franchise. But he was a godawful fit for where we had to go. Keeping him and trying to force it to work set back the franchise.

If we'd fired him when the wheels fell off, I'd have only fond memories. Instead we went through a grueling multi-year breakup process until it was untenable for everyone to the point that rumours were he was about to be fired with cause. That's basically unheard of.
Hung on to the garbage? That's all he had to work with. The NHL gave DM no money. What the hell were they suppose to do?

Reactions: cobra427 and MIG

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Hung on to the garbage? That's all he had to work with. The NHL gave DM no money. What the hell were they suppose to do?

Exactly.

And maybe we could have put Strome up earlier or tried some other players in that regard. Unfortunately, coaches are also tied to wins and losses, but what could Tip have gotten out of Strome, since he was a much worse coach than Tocchet? :dunno:

Both will have their favorites to play in situations that would not be expected, whether Chipchura or Cousins. Maybe coaches actually have similar philosophies toward development and earning time across the board, even though systems may not be the same.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Actually, it's the "Around the NHL" thread... The Sabres are actually somewhere around the NHL.. Somewhere around the bottom, but around nonetheless.

There is a dedicated playoffs thread for the feint of heart. Pretty sure Tippett and "the playoffs" haven't come up together in seven years, so you'll be safe there.

Reactions: rt

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Actually, it's the "Around the NHL" thread... The Sabres are actually somewhere around the NHL.. Somewhere around the bottom, but around nonetheless.

There is a dedicated playoffs thread for the feint of heart. Pretty sure Tippett and "the playoffs" haven't come up together in seven years, so you'll be safe there.
I see you are technically correct. Maybe we should start a "same crap out of the same people" thread, I'd feel very safe not going there.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Also, the f***ing irony of Tippett coaching either McDavid or Eichel after we failed to get either in 2015...

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Ehh, I don't think the Oilers really had a coaching issue. McLellan and Hitchcock are good coaches.

I see a team with 3 really good centres and not much else.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Ken Holland says Oilers will go to UFA to find a goalie.

You just know that if Tippett is there they are signing Security Blanket Schmitty. Perfect guy to tandem with Koskinen and he already lives in AB.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Interesting metric......

Best records since Jan 1 of this year.

Note three of the four make up the conference finals, and St. Louis was dead last in the league at that point.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I generally agree with that, but at the same time how do you explain early exits like Tampa, Calgary, and Washington?

FWIW the Coyotes were the 11th best team since Jan. 1, only two points back of SJ.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Ehh, I don't think the Oilers really had a coaching issue. McLellan and Hitchcock are good coaches.

I see a team with 3 really good centres and not much else.
I never liked McLellan as a coach, but Hitch is good, just didn't have enough time to sort things out. I think the Oilers could be next years Colorado.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad