Around the NHL 16-17 part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ende

Dec 12, 2005
As a Chychrun fanboy, yeah, that one stings for me. I still hold that was the better "Organizational Team Building" option, but I understand the drafting of Nylander as we also don't have that many skilled hockey players in the mold of Nylander at the forward position. We needed both and he took the forward road.

But I also had Nylander as option 1b. I think Nylander will be a very good hockey player. Just needs to get stronger and more confident in his own play.

I'm generally a fan of GMTM's moves, but I thought that was a big mistake. Wingers are much easier to come by than defenders. They develop faster when drafted, they develop from deeper picks, they're more buyer-friendly on the market, and they're just more fungible trade assets in general. Growing D is hard. I can only guess Murray considered his roster closer to complete than it is and underestimated our lack of top level depth at D.

7 11 14

Jan 18, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Can I just say how irritating it is that Toronto is good for the first time in like ever, not even great, but good enough to barely be clinging on to a playoff spot, yet some (dare I say most?) of their fans and media members think it's like embarrassing to lose to the Sabres. The hubris of that city and its fans never ceases to amaze me.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Can I just say how irritating it is that Toronto is good for the first time in like ever, not even great, but good enough to barely be clinging on to a playoff spot, yet some (dare I say most?) of their fans and media members think it's like embarrassing to lose to the Sabres. The hubris of that city and its fans never ceases to amaze me.

Winning that game tasted extra sweet after reading this headline earlier in the day:

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/f...e-to-town-saturday-nhl-hockey-night-in-canada

From The Branches: BuffaLOL comes to town

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006

We would feel the exact same way if we were sitting in a playoff spot and lost to a team near the bottom of the conference.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
We would feel the exact same way if we were sitting in a playoff spot and lost to a team near the bottom of the conference.

I don't think that's true. When we were still in the race coming off the bye week and had losses to arizona and colorado nobody was calling it embarrassing (at least not in the sense of those being teams we are above losing to, more in the once again this team can't rise to the occasion sort of embarrassment).

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I don't think that's true. When we were still in the race coming off the bye week and had losses to arizona and colorado nobody was calling it embarrassing (at least not in the sense of those being teams we are above losing to, more in the once again this team can't rise to the occasion sort of embarrassment).
I'm pretty sure we did. Then again people were hoping it would end Bylsma.

We blame Bylsma for everything.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Holtby needs one more win this season to become only the 2nd goalie to have 3 consecutive seasons with more than 40 wins...

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
McDavid, Draisaitl, Mathews, Marner, Nylander will be making their playoff debuts in 2 weeks. Eichel and Reinhart on a train going nowhere.

If big changes aren't coming, especially behind the bench, the Pegulas can go screw themselves. Watching this McDermott guy now seemingly in complete control of the Bills operation is just another sign how completely in over their heads they are.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Brock Boeser has 2 goals in 3 NHL games, the offensive side of the game coming easily to him. Might have been the sniper Eichel is missing.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/03/29/vegas-wants-progressive-head-coach-says-mcphee/

“We want someone who is very current on the game, who is progressive on how the game should be played,†McPhee said in a recent phone call with season ticket holders, per the club website. “We’re looking for that progressive guy that can really help us through the early years and help develop our team and our players.â€

So, time to connect the dots.

Back in November, Vegas owner Bill Foley laid the initial groundwork for McPhee’s coaching profile, saying he wanted to hire an experienced head coach.

“He’s not looking for a first-termer,†said Foley. “Some may or may not be available. … I would say the coach that we name is going to be a recognizable individual.â€

We will give you Bylsma if you take Ennis or Moulson in the expansion draft....

:laugh:

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011

It looks like we get a sneak peak at more of the expansion process. Every armchair GM is going to love this.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
bah Islanders puked all over themselves, Leafs all but guaranteed in the playoffs :(

Mathews, Marner, and Nylander have been great but a big difference between us and them are non first round picks Connor Brown and Zach Hyman really contributing. Brown is gonna score 20, Hyman 10. Carrier/Bailey/Baptiste/Fasching have 13 total as a group. They also added Zaitsev who's played really well.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
bah Islanders puked all over themselves, Leafs all but guaranteed in the playoffs :(

Mathews, Marner, and Nylander have been great but a big difference between us and them are non first round picks Connor Brown and Zach Hyman really contributing. Brown is gonna score 20, Hyman 10. Carrier/Bailey/Baptiste/Fasching have 13 total as a group. They also added Zaitsev who's played really well.

If you want to keep your sanity, you should really stop caring how other teams are doing and measuring against ours.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
If you want to keep your sanity, you should really stop caring how other teams are doing and measuring against ours.

The NHL is a 31 team league where teams compete against each other 82 games a season for the Stanley Cup. What your competition is doing can't be ignored, what good is it if your own team is progressing but half the teams are progressing faster than you? Toronto, Carolina, Arizona are teams we should be looking at - they are teams like ours who are/were bottom feeders in major rebuilds.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Aw da widdwe meathead is mad he can't assault people without risking 20 anymore.

Thornton can go **** himself, he hasn't played respectfully for a single second of his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad