Around the NHL #15 - Ovie is Not a Choker Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
If I wasn't a Pens can I'd really feel for Elliot. I still kinda do. He's a nice dude.
Wonder if the Flyers go with Mrazek for game 2

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I actually don’t fault Chia for the Hall deal, he had no leverage and had to make a deal like that. But it was a loss and he knew it. The Eberle deal was bad and the Lucic/Russell signings killed their cap. The Oilers were a better team before Chia got there.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I actually don’t fault Chia for the Hall deal, he had no leverage and had to make a deal like that. But it was a loss and he knew it. The Eberle deal was bad and the Lucic/Russell signings killed their cap. The Oilers were a better team before Chia got there.

Yeah, I agree. Of all the trades and signings Chia has done, that's the one I can't fault him for.

The mainboard keeps bringing up the Hall/Larsson trade when criticizing Chia, but he was coming from a position of weakness and his hands were tied. He desperately needed a defenceman and to clear cap space and his options were to unload (at least) one of Hall, Eberle, and Nuge. Nuge and Eberle were seriously under performing and Hall was the only one even remotely worth close to his contract so of course that's who GMs were going to zero in on. While the trade heavily favoured Jersey, it did address the needs of both teams. Unfortunately (or fortunately for Flames fans), Chia squandered what cap relief he got with some terrible signings :laugh:

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I think it's more accurate to say they were set up to be a better team before he got there. They had cost-controlled assets in McDavid and Draisaitl, a good young goalie in Talbot, and a defense that wasn't great but definitely could be improved with the right moves. As well as having plenty of cap space.

Instead, Chia blew cap dollars on Russell and Lucic instead of actual productive difference makers, didn't shore up the defense all that much, and expected Talbot to play 70+ games in back to back years. He completely botched their situation, and that's not even mentioning the Eberle trade.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I think it's more accurate to say they were set up to be a better team before he got there. They had cost-controlled assets in McDavid and Draisaitl, a good young goalie in Talbot, and a defense that wasn't great but definitely could be improved with the right moves. As well as having plenty of cap space.

Instead, Chia blew cap dollars on Russell and Lucic instead of actual productive difference makers, didn't shore up the defense all that much, and expected Talbot to play 70+ games in back to back years. He completely botched their situation, and that's not even mentioning the Eberle trade.

Don't forget the Hall and Reinhart trades.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Didn't mention the Hall one just cuz of previous posts, but yeah I did forget about the Reinhart one. Wasn't that the trade that gave the Isles the pick they took Barzal with? Yikes.
It's also the deal I called live at Schanks, we celebrated my genius and how awful it was

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
My favourite part of the Hall trade is that Edmonton fans still maintain it was fair value. Like, just give up and admit that you had to overpay, you're just making yourself look worse.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
I have so much playoff envy for all these teams that made the cut. Watching Pasta run table tonight against Toronto made me a little sad, would be fun to see Johnny doing that against someone.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
We are sooooo far away from contending with a team like Boston/Jets. We just don’t have the depth they do. Fun to watch though and so nice to see the Leafs and their holy trinity get demolished

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I have so much playoff envy for all these teams that made the cut. Watching Pasta run table tonight against Toronto made me a little sad, would be fun to see Johnny doing that against someone.

I honestly liked Pasta a lot his draft year. Some sources had him ranked as high as 8th, but he did kinda come out of no where. He didn’t put up monster numbers his draft year and he was on the smaller side, but he had the skill.

It’s so hard to play the what if’ game, but imagine him next to Gaudreau and Monahan. I still get so upset that we took Tspoon 1 pick before Kuch and the fact he was on board and would have been picked later that round by us. I honestly think the Flames biggest issue is the misses on Bennett, Poirier and Klimchuk. I just hope we get a new coach that can breathe some new life into Benny. This team needs that more than anything.

Reactions: Cyrano

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
I honestly liked Pasta a lot his draft year. Some sources had him ranked as high as 8th, but he did kinda come out of no where. He didn’t put up monster numbers his draft year and he was on the smaller side, but he had the skill.

It’s so hard to play the what if’ game, but imagine him next to Gaudreau and Monahan. I still get so upset that we took Tspoon 1 pick before Kuch and the fact he was on board and would have been picked later that round by us. I honestly think the Flames biggest issue is the misses on Bennett, Poirier and Klimchuk. I just hope we get a new coach that can breathe some new life into Benny. This team needs that more than anything.

Can’t play the what if game.... but holy cow did we do bad that draft With those 3 picks

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016

I was speculating earlier this year that Pasta is one of the few players I'd flip Gaudreau for, because a Tkachuk - Monahan - Pastrnak line sounds amazing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad