Around the NHL — Episode XLXVI

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Saying it's easy to hate on Vegas completely ignores the fact that they've been doing this same song and dance for three years now. View attachment 857658

The Knights didn't even make the playoffs in 2022 and as we found out they were trying to dump Dadonov to fit Stone in before the playoffs, but because Dorion was incompetent they were forced to keep him off the roster, likely costing them a playoff spot.

In 2023 the Knights used the cap space resulting from Stone being put on LTIR until the playoffs on Teddy Blueger and Jonathan Quick, hardly players that put them over the top last year. Doesn't at all fit the narrative that their 2023 Stanley Cup was won because of cap manipulation.

This is the only year they clearly went out of their way to weaponize Stone's conveniently timed lacerated spleen to significantly boost the roster by acquiring Hertl

However they also could have just kept Hertl. on LTIR until the playoffs instead of having him come back early from his surgery to play 6 games prior to the playoffs. Didn't even need to keep Stone on LTIR if he was 100% healthy, which he almost certainly wasn't in the last week or two of the season.

Again, a small amount of digging reveals the facts don't fit the narrative on this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xspyrit

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
In 2023 the Knights used the cap space resulting from Stone being put on LTIR until the playoffs on Teddy Blueger and Jonathan Quick, hardly players that put them over the top last year. Doesn't at all fit the narrative that their 2023 Stanley Cup was won because of cap manipulation.

Barbashev?

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
The Knights didn't even make the playoffs in 2022 and as we found out they were trying to dump Dadonov to fit Stone in before the playoffs, but because Dorion was incompetent they were forced to keep him off the roster, likely costing them a playoff spot.

I know this isn't the main point of your post, but this part is incorrect.

When Stone returned to the lineup late in 2022, he only put up something like 1 point in 6 games, he was nowhere near healthy. Meanwhile Dadonov won a game in OT for Vegas after the deadline.

The whole "not getting to trade Dadonov cost Vegas a playoff spot" was just whining from a vengeful Vegas management(and unfortunately Bettman fell for it).

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
That was a pretty sweet play, hopefully Batherson and Stu were watching that one
Stü has made some beauty passes, one that stands out was a turn around bsckhand from the corner across the crease for a tap in by ?Brady?

Sure would be nice to see that in the playoffs though

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I know this isn't the main point of your post, but this part is incorrect.

When Stone returned to the lineup late in 2022, he only put up something like 1 point in 6 games, he was nowhere near healthy. Meanwhile Dadonov won a game in OT for Vegas after the deadline.

The whole "not getting to trade Dadonov cost Vegas a playoff spot" was just whining from a vengeful Vegas management(and unfortunately Bettman fell for it).

Fair enough.

Reactions: Wallet Inspector

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
f*** Stone and f*** the Golden Knights. Any Canadian team winning including Toronto would be better.

tenor.gif

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
What I’m looking at they used nearly all of their LTIR pool but I haven’t been able to solid information on it, so I’ll take your word for it.
They spent ~97 against the cap, but 5 of that was legit LTIR for Lehner, another 1.2 on Nolan

Reactions: Korpse

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

This is the only year they clearly went out of their way to weaponize Stone's conveniently timed lacerated spleen to significantly boost the roster by acquiring Hertl

However they also could have just kept Hertl. on LTIR until the playoffs instead of having him come back early from his surgery to play 6 games prior to the playoffs. Didn't even need to keep Stone on LTIR if he was 100% healthy, which he almost certainly wasn't in the last week or two of the season.

Again, a small amount of digging reveals the facts don't fit the narrative on this.
In 2021-22 they used Stone’s LTIR to activate Eichel I believe.

In 22-23 they also added Barbashev using LTIR.

I’m not complaining, I love it.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It seemed like the last time something was such a hot debate it was contract length with padded years like Luongo and Kovalchuk. They punished some teams retroactively. I don't really understand why that happened but what has happened with LTIR and Playoffs is different. Aren't/weren't they both just manipulating the rules as currently written or was that actually breaking rules that were already written?

Reactions: DrEasy

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Wait, did anyone see Mike Reilly almost scoring in his own net with the goalie pulled last night?

Naw we have the weakest set of Canadian fans

I don't know man, I wasn't even born the last time we made the playoffs

Been there most of the season. They just protect their goalies so well, hence the fourpisalo contract. If they had a good goalie they would be very dangerous.

KORPSofSALO

Hat trick for Hyman, 5 assists for McLemieux

McDavid is a top-4 player of all time with Lemieux, Orr and Gretzky. The attempts to refute this are cute at this point.

3rd best career playoffs PPG behind Gretzky and Lemieux. Same for the regular season. Sure he hasn't played in his 30's yet but he will still be in his prime for years and didn't have the benefit to play in the highest scoring era in history.

Last edited:

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018

2022 they had to activate him 2 weeks early because they thought Eichel could help close the gap into the playoffs and it didn't work. They then tried to scramble by trading for another LTIR contract in Kesler (totally not a cap loophole either right) but Dorion really Dorion'd that up for them.

2023 I see you are conveniently leaving out Barbashev. Along with an excellent PKer and a solid backup tendy, those are 3 very solid additions for one players salary. Especially when you also get that one player back too.

If you honestly believe that Vegas hasn't repeatedly tried to game the cap loophole (not the only team to do it for sure) and it's all apart of some "hate Vegas" agenda then you should seriously DM me man. I have some gorgeous oceanfront property in Saskatchewan I just inherited I could sell you for cheappp

Last edited:

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
McDavid is a top-4 player of all time with Lemieux, Orr and Gretzky. The attempts to refute this are cute at this point.

3rd best career playoffs PPG behind Gretzky and Lemieux. Same for the regular season. Sure he hasn't played in his 30's yet but he will still be in his prime for years and didn't have the benefit to play in the highest scoring era in history.
I’ve got it as

Gretzky

Lemieux
McDavid
Orr

Howe
Crosby

If McDavid keeps it going he moves up into Gretzky tier

Reactions: Xspyrit

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
This Caps/Rangers game feels like a regular season game, and not even a good one.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
2022 they had to activate him 2 weeks early because they thought Eichel could help close the gap into the playoffs and it didn't work. They then tried to scramble by trading for another LTIR contract in Kesler (totally not a cap loophole either right) but Dorion really Dorion'd that up for them.

2023 I see you are conveniently leaving out Barbashev. Along with an excellent PKer and a solid backup tendy, those are 3 very solid additions for one players salary. Especially when you also get that one player back too.

If you honestly believe that Vegas hasn't repeatedly tried to game the cap loophole (not the only team to do it for sure) and it's all apart of some "hate Vegas" agenda then you should seriously DM me man. I have some gorgeous oceanfront property in Saskatchewan I just inherited I could sell you for cheappp

In 2022 they only were able to activate him because some other players got injured (I know Reilly Smith was one). They wanted to trade Dadonov prior to the deadline to open up enough space to bring Stone back prior to the playoffs, but got Dorion'd. I fail to see how that's an example of exploiting a cap loophole.

As has already been pointed out, they had room to add Barbashev. He only made 2.25M the year they traded for him. The extra additions they were able to fit in after Stone went on LTIR were Blueger and Quick. Blueger only played 6 games in the playoffs and had 2 points, while Quick didn't play at all. The narrative that they artificially kept Stone out until the playoffs in order to cheat their way to the cup with a stacked playoff roster is absurd. Obviously they would have preferred to have Stone playing to finish the year over Blueger and Quick, and neither guy made any kind of impact in the playoffs for Vegas.

So yeah, having just pointed out that narrative is stupid and requires willful blindness of the actual facts, I can say with confidence that Vegas hasn't been gaming the system for years. This is the only year it's arguable. Tampa's LTIR shenanigans with Kucherov was far worse but people prefer to hate on Vegas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad