Around the NHL — Episode XLXVI

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Man this Tampa/Florida game, anytime anyone gets in front of the net for either team, they are getting knocked the f*** out.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Why do the Jets always seem to become a totally different and less effective team once the playoffs starts?

Feeling a bit better about our Olympic chances if the Americans go with Hellebuyck now.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Bobrovsky save last night one of the best of the last decade for sure.

Crazy he made a save on a defensive breakdown tho

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Why do the Jets always seem to become a totally different and less effective team once the playoffs starts?

Feeling a bit better about our Olympic chances if the Americans go with Hellebuyck now.
They just ain’t that good. They’re fine. With a great goalie. When the goalie ain’t great they’re whatever. Lowry is a dawg and that’s why he’s captain. The other guys? Not so much

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
In 2022 they only were able to activate him because some other players got injured (I know Reilly Smith was one). They wanted to trade Dadonov prior to the deadline to open up enough space to bring Stone back prior to the playoffs, but got Dorion'd. I fail to see how that's an example of exploiting a cap loophole.

As has already been pointed out, they had room to add Barbashev. He only made 2.25M the year they traded for him. The extra additions they were able to fit in after Stone went on LTIR were Blueger and Quick. Blueger only played 6 games in the playoffs and had 2 points, while Quick didn't play at all. The narrative that they artificially kept Stone out until the playoffs in order to cheat their way to the cup with a stacked playoff roster is absurd. Obviously they would have preferred to have Stone playing to finish the year over Blueger and Quick, and neither guy made any kind of impact in the playoffs for Vegas.

So yeah, having just pointed out that narrative is stupid and requires willful blindness of the actual facts, I can say with confidence that Vegas hasn't been gaming the system for years. This is the only year it's arguable. Tampa's LTIR shenanigans with Kucherov was far worse but people prefer to hate on Vegas.

Trading for an LTIR contract in Kesler as a panic move to become cap compliant to make the playoffs is absolutely a cap loophole. Other teams do it but it is still a loophole nonetheless. I can't see how you'd argue against that. It is what it is.

Also they were FOURTEEN mil over the cap last playoffs. Regardless if you think their acquisitions helped or not that is still an egregious amount and absolutely is cap manipulation.

Tampa caught a ton of flack for it, do you not remember Kucherovs t-shirt??? He wore it during the boat parade, rubbing it in the "haters" faces. People were definitely super salty.

All teams do it to some degree, but doing it after youve already won the cup is especially greasy and rubs people the wrong way extra hard, for good reason. The league needs to amend the rules so cap compliancy carries over into the playoffs.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Trading for an LTIR contract in Kesler as a panic move to become cap compliant to make the playoffs is absolutely a cap loophole. Other teams do it but it is still a loophole nonetheless. I can't see how you'd argue against that. It is what it is.

Also they were FOURTEEN mil over the cap last playoffs. Regardless if you think their acquisitions helped or not that is still an egregious amount and absolutely is cap manipulation.

Tampa caught a ton of flack for it, do you not remember Kucherovs t-shirt??? He wore it during the boat parade, rubbing it in the "haters" faces. People were definitely super salty.

All teams do it to some degree, but doing it after youve already won the cup is especially greasy and rubs people the wrong way extra hard, for good reason. The league needs to amend the rules so cap compliancy carries over into the playoffs.
They're spending $116.5M, in real dollars, on their roster this year. How could anyone come up with an argument that being $30M+ over the salary cap is not circumvention? LOL.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
They just ain’t that good. They’re fine. With a great goalie. When the goalie ain’t great they’re whatever. Lowry is a dawg and that’s why he’s captain. The other guys? Not so much
Just like Vancouver. They might both be done.

That save by Bobrovsky was probably the best save I've ever seen in my life.
Even Hasek? His highlight packs are something else.

Jose Theodore had a pretty legendary one too iirc.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I looked at the roster he carried to the finals. How his back didn't break when the best forwards on that Buffalo team being Miro Satan, Peca, and Grosek is beyond me.
That was at the peak of his greatness. .937 save percentage that year, which was his highest ever. He was an MVP caliber goaltender in ways not even rivaled by Roy or Brodeur imo. Granted they had other advantages in play style that at times made them more effective, but Hasek was a different beast. I idolized him so much growing up that I was basically cheering for just him in the 1998 Olympics.

Reactions: LiseL

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Hasek is one of the most underrated players of all time, even with how highly acclaimed he is.

If you look at his peak in Buffalo before he started breaking down, no goalie even comes close to him. Roy and Brodeur both played on much better teams, yet his stats dwarf them. I don't think he is as dominant relative to his position as Gretzky or Orr were at their peaks, but he's up there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad