Around the League

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
That contract, lol.

"Sabres' Skinner set to become first NHL player to hit 1,000 career games without playoff appearance"

I've bagged on that contract in the past, but his point and goal production rate in Buffalo is pretty similar to what he put up in Carolina. I still don't like the contract, but I think it is very arguable that Skinner has given Buffalo exactly what they should have expected.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I've bagged on that contract in the past, but his point and goal production rate in Buffalo is pretty similar to what he put up in Carolina. I still don't like the contract, but I think it is very arguable that Skinner has given Buffalo exactly what they should have expected.
Saw this the other day and was kinda surprised...

GKGc6knXMAAGVR_

Reactions: Winger98

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
The trick with Skinner is he's a passenger. He can finish, but he can't drive play. He's being paid like a line driver.

In their overlapping time in the NHL DeBrincat has 34 more goals and 94 more points. There's pitchforks out for DBC now. Imagine the cacophony with him at $9.5M (same cap% as when Skinner signed his).

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
The trick with Skinner is he's a passenger. He can finish, but he can't drive play. He's being paid like a line driver.

In their overlapping time in the NHL DeBrincat has 34 more goals and 94 more points. There's pitchforks out for DBC now. Imagine the cacophony with him at $9.5M (same cap% as when Skinner signed his).
Oh, DBC/Yzerman would have been getting a lot of crap the moment the contract was announced if it was that high. Like I said, I still don't like Skinner's contract, but I don't think Skinner has dogged it in Buffalo. I've seen Skinner get a lot of crap but I think he's just been what he is. The contract is totally on Buffalo.

Though that contract would have aged a bit better if not for covid years flattening the cap.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
That's a 18.5M cap hit. Not sure who they would have to move.
I'd start with Coyle, Forbort, and Carlo for 12m of it. Seguin and Hamilton are top line guys you build around. It would be like us dealing Simon and Danielson only to have them become top players elsewhere but saying, "Yeah, but where could we have fit them in our cap?"

Reactions: SoupNazi

JohanFranzenstein

Dec 6, 2013
Pens up 3-0 on the Caps halfway through the game. Don't like Pittsburgh creeping up, but love points being taken away from Washington.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Pens up 3-0 on the Caps halfway through the game. Don't like Pittsburgh creeping up, but love points being taken away from Washington.

It's a real pickle. Can't really afford either team to win, but Washington losing, since they are currently ahead, is the best outcome I suppose. But I have more faith the Pens rattle off a string of wins to close out the season more than I do the Caps.

Islanders and Blue Jackets currently tied in the 3rd, too. Come on, Werenski!

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Man, the bruins goofed moving Seguin and Hamilton. Imagine Segun/Pasternak in a line with McAvoy and Hamilton holding down the top two pairs...

Seguin was moved likely because he is more about lifestyle than winning is what I gathered from what was said about him. Judging by his play in Dallas it sounds about right.

It is a win lose type tonight as the Isles look like they will beat CBJ and pass us. Isles move ahead of WSH if they lose and we drop a spot. At least we have a game at hand on the Isles.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

"The Arizona Coyotes said Thursday night they’re committed to win a land auction that could pave the way for the NHL club to remain in the Phoenix area after years of arena uncertainty.

"The team hopes to buy the 110-acre (445,154 square meter) plot of land on Northwest corner of Scottsdale Road and the Loop 101 in the city of Phoenix and build a privately funded arena and entertainment district."

Am I reading this correctly? That the billionaires might have to be accountable for their own playpens? Hopefully going forward more voters have the backbone to push for this in other markets.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

"The Arizona Coyotes said Thursday night they’re committed to win a land auction that could pave the way for the NHL club to remain in the Phoenix area after years of arena uncertainty.

"The team hopes to buy the 110-acre (445,154 square meter) plot of land on Northwest corner of Scottsdale Road and the Loop 101 in the city of Phoenix and build a privately funded arena and entertainment district."

Am I reading this correctly? That the billionaires might have to be accountable for their own playpens? Hopefully going forward more voters have the backbone to push for this in other markets.
I remain skeptical. I wonder if there's ways the city can give them tax breaks and whatnot without requiring voter approval.

A billionaire not fleecing taxpayers is about as likely as the Coyotes actually having a NHL arena in Phoenix. For both of those to happen is unfathomable.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm not sure how smart it is to invest heavily in any long term plans in the southwest, but hope the Coyotes are serious and can pull it off. If they can't get this land auction to go their way, it's probably time to try to move them. What sucks is that it seems their current owner might actually be a decent one.

Reactions: jkutswings

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I'm not sure how smart it is to invest heavily in any long term plans in the southwest, but hope the Coyotes are serious and can pull it off. If they can't get this land auction to go their way, it's probably time to try to move them. What sucks is that it seems their current owner might actually be a decent one.

Not from the little I have read about him. Lots of people call him a grifter and he apparently has a lot of non payment things with companies.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Not from the little I have read about him. Lots of people call him a grifter and he apparently has a lot of non payment things with companies.

that just sounds like a billionaire to me ;)

He can grift elsewhere, but the point is he seems to care about making the Coyotes an actual viable franchise. If he just wanted to make a quick buck he would have done what the last owner tried to do and sell the thing to the highest bidder ASAP.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I was just saying nice for Kostin, not in a mean way.

Did you want Kostin in the top six? We got a guy to plop in the AHL to grab Edvinsson and then freed up some space for next season.
I mean Kostin v Perron is a wash imo. But that aside, it's the hesitation to put flawed, and/or perceived flawed players in a scoring role and then criticizing them for flaws when you don't give them an opportunity to provide offense. Especially when there are players currently struggling in the top six.

Edit and before the pitchforks come out. The wash above is that Perron and Kostin have the same flaws that should make a coach hesitant to play them. Terrible foot speed. Tendencies to take dumb penalties related to said footspeed. Fairly lost defensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad