Around the League XXXV: Illinois Represent

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
If only Toews w would signed a 1 yr $10.5 ...then after justc68 pts first yrvof new deal we could hard-boiled him down..Maybe then he would done better than 58 and 52 in the next 2 years of the deal ..Imagine if the NHL only went to 1 year term deals..then players have incentive to perform well instead of goofing off at the Country Club while they run to the bank over 8 poor seasons ?Or does that only apply to the Hawks? Man...did we ever overpay Toews!

And if he would have balked at a 1 yr term and gone Ufa to another team after 1 season,so we could have huge cap $$/ to spend on the next guy who was Ufa. ..

I think the NHL should permit only 1 yr. extention deals...especially on 3rd contracts where guys are mid to later 20s...

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
There is certainly going to be a glut of talent available next offseason, and a big chunk of that is going to be leaving Ottawa.

I'd say that at least they could be expected to get damn good returns as rentals for playoff teams at the next trade deadline, but.... yeah.... they're going to get fleeced or not make trades.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
43 goal scorer William Karlsson just signed for about the same AAV as 35 point Tom Wilson.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
it is interesting, but he has to prove it more than once, and I HIGHLY doubt he will hit 40 goals again....but you never know, if he does, he will hit over $7 mil no doubt.
Don’t think he hits 40 again this year but I think he can consistently hit around 30 goals. Agree that he’s got to prove it though that’s why this deal works well for both sides.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
I don't hate that deal for the Ducks.

Though it does reinforce just how much of a bargain Crawford is/has been.
It's actually a very decent deal. Gibson has some very good early-career numbers and would definitely command a 6M+ Salary. The question though is can he maintain it. Some goalies like Crawford seem to start slow and get better with age (to a point, of course). Others seem to start hot and then peter out...Niemi comes to mind.

If he maintains he'll be money. It should also reinforce not just what kind of a bargain Crawford is...but what the going rate is for a great goalie. If one of the 'hawk prospect goalies pans out and becomes what Crawford has been since 2015...that's what you're looking at. You ain't getting that level of performance for 3M.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Gibson is a good goalie but if I recall correctly he has had some injury issues.
he has, but to be fair, Gibson has been the most highly regarded young goalie since Price. he was on the map at 14-15 years old and every step of the way he never disappointed. if there is one goalie out there you can justify 8 years for, this would be my pick...but it is still a volatile position and injuries can derail a career pretty easily at this position.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
he has, but to be fair, Gibson has been the most highly regarded young goalie since Price. he was on the map at 14-15 years old and every step of the way he never disappointed. if there is one goalie out there you can justify 8 years for, this would be my pick...but it is still a volatile position and injuries can derail a career pretty easily at this position.

He has but his injuries have been lower body which scares me (at least I think they have).

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Well the Tavares plagues have started even before he hits the ice with the Leafs... This long-time Islanders lose. ..brings his show to T.O. and voila the 1st calamity hits Toronto..the massive flooding that occurred last night as 100 millimeters of rain hits parts of the city and caused huge water damage and power outages with the downtown and parts of North York getting the worst of it .. Transportation in chaos and more rain predicted tonight and tomorrow ..A flood of biblical proportions..so Tavares signing already bringing disaster to many in Leafs Nation living in the Centre of the Hockey Universe....More disaster probably will come for them because they were already planning the Stanley Cup Parade (several) over the next 5-8 years and instead we see the 1st of many plagues this '"saviour" will bring to the giddy city after he to go back home..but
...you cannot go home again ..we all know that...and so a cost has to be extracted. ..What is next?The Don River turns to Blood?Frogs?Boils?Pestilence?.Locusts?Death of the First Born? Probably none of these...but whatever comes ,it will be added onto the list of calamities the Tavares "coup" has brought..They may be wishing they had never gone down this path for "glory",cause as we know the best laid plans oft gang aglay...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad