Around the League XXXV: Illinois Represent

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
A 62 pt player is worth 7 mil or more? No thanks to that. Anyone can play defense, that's what this league is "defense"

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I think everyone needs to readjust their salary meters too, generally speaking. The highest paid players are in the $13-14 million per season range, and recently a guy like Wilson is now being paid over $5 million per. $7 million per season isn't what it was two or three seasons ago. Everything keeps moving up, including "floors".

That's why a contract like Wilson's is kind of significant, I feel. Him getting that money opens the doors to MANY others getting paid more than they probably should and just skews the entire system. And this isn't a knock on Wilson. Wilson's an effective player and has some talent and I actually don't mind the term so much but that AAV is quite rich for his overall body of work. There's definitely some playoff recency bias there.

All in all, Stone is worth every penny of $7 million per in this climate.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I think everyone needs to readjust their salary meters too, generally speaking. The highest paid players are in the $13-14 million per season range, and recently a guy like Wilson is now being paid over $5 million per. $7 million per season isn't what it was two or three seasons ago. Everything keeps moving up, including "floors".

That's why a contract like Wilson's is kind of significant, I feel. Him getting that money opens the doors to MANY others getting paid more than they probably should and just skews the entire system. And this isn't a knock on Wilson. Wilson's an effective player and has some talent and I actually don't mind the term so much but that AAV is quite rich for his overall body of work. There's definitely some playoff recency bias there.

All in all, Stone is worth every penny of $7 million per in this climate.

While I agree, I think teams (and fans) would be wise to temper expectations of the salary cap increasing . The cap had a big jump this year (4.5 mil) and it's easy to assume that will go up at similar levels going forward. But we aren't too far removed from the cap only increasing 6 mil over 4 seasons.

Last edited:

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
While I agree, I think teams (and fans) would be wise to temper expectations of the salary cap increasing . The cap had a big jump this year (4.5 mil) and it's easy to assume that will go up at similar levels going forward. But we aren't too far removed from the cap only increasing 6 mil over 4 seasons.

I'm not saying it's going to take this kind of jump every year, but the simple fact is it DID make this jump and has gradually risen over the course of many seasons. I think people get stuck thinking of a salary that was paid out three years ago and don't always adjust their "meters" for what a fair contract is for a player in the current financial climate as opposed to what that looked like three or even two seasons ago.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I'm not saying it's going to take this kind of jump every year, but the simple fact is it DID make this jump and has gradually risen over the course of many seasons. I think people get stuck thinking of a salary that was paid out three years ago and don't always adjust their "meters" for what a fair contract is for a player in the current financial climate as opposed to what that looked like three or even two seasons ago.

I hear you and I didn't mean to imply you were saying it will continue to jump, but I feel that a lot people get caught assuming what just happened will continue to happen. I'm just cautioning against that.

Reactions: Blue Liner

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Buffalo just fleeced Carolina. Sabres got Skinner and only gave up a 2019 2nd, a 2020 3rd and 6th, and a middling prospect named Pu.

So does this mean we can trade them a bunch of garbage for Faulk?

Reactions: AmericanDream

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Buffalo just fleeced Carolina. Sabres got Skinner and only gave up a 2019 2nd, a 2020 3rd and 6th, and a middling prospect named Pu.

So does this mean we can trade them a bunch of garbage for Faulk?
Reports coming out that skinner wanted to be close to Toronto and Buffalo was a high preference. Don’t get the whole Faulk talk though unless he can play LD he is a solution now but considering he may be impeding Jokiharju and Mitchell in a few years make it a weird fit long term unless he can play on the left side.

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
Calling a guy who scores 62 points in 58 games a 62 point guy is pretty disingenuous.

Anyone can play defense? Ok then.

62pts in 58GP a + player on arguably the ****tiest team in the league.

I would venture to guess he has not done that consistently and now because of recent success all of a sudden he's worth 7 mil? maybe some gullible gm will fall for it, hopefully not ours.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I would venture to guess he has not done that consistently and now because of recent success all of a sudden he's worth 7 mil? maybe some gullible gm will fall for it, hopefully not ours.
He absolutely has been consistent defensively, and has been a consistent 60+pt player the last 4 years. How is that not worth AT LEAST 7+mil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad