Around the League XXXIX - Bolts choked earlier than expected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Missed this live but wow. This might be one of the softest plays I’ve ever seen in the playoffs.

You just cannot do that in the playoffs. He saw it was Ovi and wanted no part of him and just gave him and easy goal. The explanation in the tweet was not off either. I’d be LIVID watching that as his teammate. It only works when everyone buys in and sacrifices for earchother. Gotta be willing to take a hit to advance the puck in the playoffs.

Where’s he getting traded to this summer? :dunno:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
WOW Dougie, not a good look. It's Ovie and all, but damn dude.

I remember back in 2014 when the Hawks were playing the Blues in the playoffs. They were getting pounded down low and they had just lost the 2nd game in a row, down 2-0. I was listening on the radio. Don't remember if it was Troy Murray or John Wiedeman, probably Murray, but he basically said "I know it's rough but the Hawks just have to keep working down there and taking the abuse. They've gotta do it or they won't win puck battles". Hawks took it all series and came back from 0-2 to win the next 4 in a row.

I'd have been so pissed as a fan to see Hjalmarsson or Keith do what Hamilton just did

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Missed this live but wow. This might be one of the softest plays I’ve ever seen in the playoffs.

You just cannot do that in the playoffs. He saw it was Ovi and wanted no part of him and just gave him and easy goal. The explanation in the tweet was not off either. I’d be LIVID watching that as his teammate. It only works when everyone buys in and sacrifices for earchother. Gotta be willing to take a hit to advance the puck in the playoffs.

.......Wow.

That....is truly as bad as everyone is saying it is. Holy hell. People throw "soft" around a lot, but that is the epitome of soft right three. Inexcusable.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

It's a bad play, but at 5.75 for one of the best transition D in the league, I'd take him on my team any day. Wonder if Carolina would trade him to us for Seabrook and Gus? :laugh:

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
was he possibly thinking it would be icing?? just doesn't seem like something he would do...

I was watching live. They first speculate that he thought it was icing. But then they showed another angle that when he turned an look you could see the linesman in his line of sight vehemently waiving it off, so it doesn't seem likely.

Reactions: AmericanDream

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I’m cool with it. I think reporters ask dumb questions and deserve it sometimes. He uses his name so obviously they have some sort of relationship. I guess he took it as they didn’t try their best which is bull****

Same. It was a dickhead question with how he phrased it.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
It's a bad play, but at 5.75 for one of the best transition D in the league, I'd take him on my team any day. Wonder if Carolina would trade him to us for Seabrook and Gus? :laugh:

He refused to take a hit to make a play in a huge moment (this is a normal thing for him). This is one of the reasons that he has been traded so often. Hamilton is not someone you want on your team when it matters. In your world, the locker room, grit (not fighting), and leadership don't have value...this is further proof to why they do.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I don’t know where reporters get the balls and/or lack of brains to ask such stupid questions like that. Did he really think he was going to say “yeah, we probably didn’t give our best out there”?

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I don’t know where reporters get the balls and/or lack of brains to ask such stupid questions like that. Did he really think he was going to say “yeah, we probably didn’t give our best out there”?

Karl Malone handled this much better than 80% of the population would have.

Being an asshole gets a reaction. Reactions get views. Views make money. It’s a really shitty reality for sports journalism.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I'm shocked. Completely and utterly shocked. :sarcasm:

I'm not saying make him your #1D or anything. But as, say a #3 in the Brian Campbell role? I'd take him at 5.75 for that. Any day.

I'm not going to consider a guy worthless on the basis of one particularly bad play.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I'm not saying make him your #1D or anything. But as, say a #3 in the Brian Campbell role? I'd take him at 5.75 for that. Any day.

I'm not going to consider a guy worthless on the basis of one particularly bad play.

Which is fair but his track record is getting pretty obvious to me at least.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

I don’t think anybody considers him useless. And I’d have him on the Hawks with open arms.

I just wouldn’t pay the asking price for the guy.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Isles vs Blue Jackets will be my favorite 2nd round series - two gritty/skilled teams, that is going to go 7 games...two barns that will be rocking and two fanbases that have been waiting for this for some time..

Reactions: BobbyJet

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

I do not want a guy with absolutely no backbone on my team, period. That was about as soft and gutless a play as I have ever seen, at any level of check hockey. Guys that play like that are absolute CANCER to a team. You don't win in the playoffs with players like that. Now that the Caps have seen that, just watch how badly they attack and expose him. For all the crap Gus gets around here, it is amazing to me someone would actually advocate for having Hamilton on this team, after watching that play.

He's baby shit soft. He has no idea what it means to take one for the team, which is exactly how you win the Stanley Cup...

Hard pass. Especially at $5.75M.

Oh, and he's SIX FOOT SIX and 230 lbs.!! What a shrinking tulip.

Reactions: clydesdale line

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
WOW Dougie, not a good look. It's Ovie and all, but damn dude.

I remember back in 2014 when the Hawks were playing the Blues in the playoffs. They were getting pounded down low and they had just lost the 2nd game in a row, down 2-0. I was listening on the radio. Don't remember if it was Troy Murray or John Wiedeman, probably Murray, but he basically said "I know it's rough but the Hawks just have to keep working down there and taking the abuse. They've gotta do it or they won't win puck battles". Hawks took it all series and came back from 0-2 to win the next 4 in a row.

I'd have been so pissed as a fan to see Hjalmarsson or Keith do what Hamilton just did

Intimidation like this happens all the time - difference being that most players who regularly avoid the big hits know how to do it without making it that obvious. Ovi was getting that puck no matter how DH played it. Someone said it best when they described the play as a "business decision" by Dougie. He survives to play another day.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Intimidation like this happens all the time - difference being that most players who regularly avoid the big hits know how to do it without making it that obvious. Ovi was getting that puck no matter how DH played it. Someone said it best when they described the play as a "business decision" by Dougie. He survives to play another day.

There are a variety of ways to pick that puck up without getting destroyed. Especially considering how big Hamilton is. Hamilton doesn't know how to brace for a hit there, because he never takes them. He's a pansy ass. That was actually comical.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
There are a variety of ways to pick that puck up without getting destroyed. Especially considering how big Hamilton is. Hamilton doesn't know how to brace for a hit there, because he never takes them. He's a pansy ass. That was actually comical.

Not in this case I don't think. Ovi was on a mission and was taking no prisoners to get that puck.

Tom Wilson and Ovi did this all of the post season in 2018 on their way to the Cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad