Around the League VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Just wondering if your argument against McCann holds up against a similar player on the Canucks.

Virtanen has played 198 games and has 56 points. Seems like replacement level production.

Virtanen is on pace for 31 points this year
McCann for 32 points

sure, if you would like to validate that then by all means its your prerogative, but what I still don't understand is why are you bringing up Virtanen when I am talking about McCann. The logic of some arguments here is completely idiotic, its like saying, "I don't like firetrucks because they're red", "then you hate apples because they're red too"

Reactions: Neddam ot Sehguh

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
sure, if you would like to validate that then by all means its your prerogative, but what I still don't understand is why are you bringing up Virtanen when I am talking about McCann. The logic of some arguments here is completely idiotic, its like saying, "I don't like firetrucks because they're red", "then you hate apples because they're red too"
Accept the L and move on, quit embarrassing yourself.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I'm pretty his comment wasn't even in english, he needs to move on.

I'm sorry that your reading comprehension seems to be equivalent to a grade school kid. You may want to fix the grammar in your sentence if you want to resort to baseless arguments.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
lol ok, we need to get over this McCann train, its starting to be reminiscent of the Gaunce Bros here.

McCann has played 220 games now in the NHL, producing 74 points. That's a large enough sample that indicates what type of player McCann will be, he will be a 20-30 point player. That's a replacement level player in the NHL.
Jay Beagle is replacement level?

Reactions: geebaan

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Virtanen is more physical. Getting better in better every year too. Id say he has other qualities better than Mccann like his defensive game but tbh I dont know much about Mccanns defensive game

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Do you believe Jay Beagle is a replacement level player?
Nope. I think the original premise wasn’t great (that a 20-30 point player is replacement level). It doesn’t take account what role that player has. A checking center isn’t likely to be putting up a lot of points. Unless I’m mistaken, that’s how McCann has been used lately.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Nope. I think the original premise wasn’t great (that a 20-30 point player is replacement level). It doesn’t take account what role that player has. A checking center isn’t likely to be putting up a lot of points.

I agree, Jay Beagle isn't a replacement level player because of his PK ability, faceoffs, work ethic, and his locker room presence to holding players accountable.

Reactions: Hit the post

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
I'd definitely kick the tires on PoolParty. If we could get him for a 2nd and some sort of medium level prospect, I'd definitely think about it.

2nd + Gadjovich or something.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I'd definitely kick the tires on PoolParty. If we could get him for a 2nd and some sort of medium level prospect, I'd definitely think about it.

Nahhhhh too much to give up for a potential bust. Id do Gudbranson and a 4h for Pullji and a 3rd

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I agree, Jay Beagle isn't a replacement level player because of his PK ability, faceoffs, work ethic, and his locker room presence to holding players accountable.

McCann is a good penalty killer as well. He also adds speed and versatility to the penguins lineup while still having untapped offensively potential. He’s already a good defensive centre.

He’s a useful player and you’ve yet to put forth a real argument that he’s not.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
lol ok, we need to get over this McCann train, its starting to be reminiscent of the Gaunce Bros here.

McCann has played 220 games now in the NHL, producing 74 points. That's a large enough sample that indicates what type of player McCann will be, he will be a 20-30 point player. That's a replacement level player in the NHL.

That's a 3rd liner given the appropriate matchups PD....

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Virtanen is more physical. Getting better in better every year too. Id say he has other qualities better than Mccann like his defensive game but tbh I dont know much about Mccanns defensive game

Yet you comment upon it in declaring Jake the better player. If Pitt is using him as their shutdown center and they are liking his effort, it must mean his defensive game is pretty darned good, eh? They are on identical point paces at the moment. I would venture to guess McCann will end up with the greater number of points while that is not the toatl measure of their games. The fact that one is a center and the other a wing says that comparing them is much more difficult.

Seems to me that those dismissing McCann's efforts are doing so to make his trade the acquisition of Gudbranson less egregious. The fact they are both in the NHL says they are both doing something right and now like Bonino playing with a much better team is likely to boost McCann's prospects.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Work ethic and locker room presence have nothing. To do with if a player is replacement level or not.

Otherwise mark messier is not below replacement level right now

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Everybody is thinking they can get Puljijarvi for pennies on the dollar..not going to happen..He's only 20...I doubt they move him.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
C'mon EDM Oilers, win this game. I can't believe I'm saying this, but even I'm sick of that team losing repeatedly.

Reactions: valkynax
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad