Around the League Thread | Second Half!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
I wonder if going on "Personal Leave" is a way to try and protect themselves from having their contracts voided, and have the NHLPA be forced to defend them if they are voided? An effort to try and protect their money?

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
Idk why people still laugh or look down on the oilers...they are absolute the worst matchup for us. They play pretty much the same skill style of hockey as us but with much more offensive talent, are better at puck possession, and have more playoff experience.

Although their 14 game win streak did come off an easy schedule (no back-to-back) games, it is still very impressive given where they were.

Having said that, I do hope the all star break breaks their rhythm and cause them to start sucking. As well as if they make the playoffs, I hope they play a grueling series vs Vegas.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Idk why people still laugh or look down on the oilers...they are absolute the worst matchup for us. They play pretty much the same skill style of hockey as us but with much more offensive talent, are better at puck possession, and have more playoff experience.

Although their 14 game win streak did come off an easy schedule (no back-to-back) games, it is still very impressive given where they were.

Having said that, I do hope the all star break breaks their rhythm and cause them to start sucking. As well as if they make the playoffs, I hope they play a grueling series vs Vegas.

Oh yeah. This is not the same team that lost in Vancouver 8-1 and 6-2. This team kills you with speed. They are getting decent goaltending and McDavid looks healthy.

The biggest improvement has been with their coaching. Woodcroft was a total run-and-gun guy who didn't care about employing a defensive system and left his goaltenders out to try. What I noticed most about Knoblauch's system is he has gotten the forwards to committing to smart hockey and puck possession on both sides of the ice.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
i don't think anybody's looking down on the Oilers at this point — it was fun to laugh at their early-season misfortune (so, so much fun, especially after the "cup or bust" comments) but it was completely within the realm of possibility to see the pendulum swing the other way like this

kind of didn't expect L.A. to lay down and die and give Edmonton an even clearer lane back into the playoff picture, though

Last edited:

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Dube
Hart
Formenton
Cal Foote
McLeod (the NJ one)

Both Hart and Dube previously released statements saying they weren’t involved and neither were in the alleged photo taken at the hotel the night of. So it comes as a surprise to most in the public.
Not really, I don’t believe those public statements that were released instantly

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Both Hart and Dube previously released statements saying they weren’t involved and neither were in the alleged photo taken at the hotel the night of. So it comes as a surprise to most in the public.
Yeah. Though as others mentioned, the Flyers' statement yesterday on Hart was very terse. Basically just said no comment, didn't even "wish him well" unlike the Dube statement.

I guess we will find out who it is quite shortly though.

We knew Formention was surely one of the group involved, given he was essentially blacklisted from the NHL. Makes sense.

Reactions: Vector

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Unbelievable that this took so long!
Just freakin unbelievable.
No wonder so many victims are reluctant to come forward.
Not prejudging the result here but this should not take so long.

Reactions: vanuck

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Bettman begging Allvin to make another trade or for the Leafs to fire Keefe to help bury this story today.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I'm trying to wrap my head around why this would even merit a tweet on a normal day, nevermind today.

Multiple cities and groups have tried to get the NHL to expand to them before.

Wildly transparent to deflect is wildly transparent. What utter buffoonery from the NHL.

With Formenton being granted leave to return to Canada - nothing official yet, of course - it always seemed to me there was smoke around him in particular. 18-goal scorer at the age of 22 one season, off playing in Switzerland the next?

Apparently Vegas inquired about trading for Formenton last season according to a Sens reporter lol.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Unbelievable that this took so long!
Just freakin unbelievable.
No wonder so many victims are reluctant to come forward.
Not prejudging the result here but this should not take so long.

When going forth with criminal charges in these cases, the burden of proof and onus almost gets placed on the plaintiffs. It's a painstaking matter where prosecutors really take their time to ensure a rock solid case.

My guess is that this matter would have been hastily resolved in a civil court if the plaintiff was seeking some sort of settlement (hush hush money).

I'm pretty sure Wetcoaster would rush in here if he were still around.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
When going forth with criminal charges in these cases, the burden of proof and onus almost gets placed on the plaintiffs. It's a painstaking matter where prosecutors really take their time to ensure a rock solid case.
Yes the burden of proof is on the Crown who must prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.
I’m talking about the investigation and laying of charges though. Charges are laid by the police and approved by the prosecutor. This should have happened years ago.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
the length of time it took to press charges makes me think it is anything but an easy case to prove. i hope the prosecutors know what they are doing because a prosecution with an acquittal is going to cause a lot of turmoil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad