Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
NYI finalizes almost of their outstanding free agents

Sorokin 3 years 4MM
Beauvillier 3 years 4.1MM
Palmeri 4 years 5MM

And Cizikas is expected to get 6 years ~2.5MM

I was reading about how the Islanders are "exploiting" another loop hole. They basically have all these deals in place but waiting to announce/finalize those deals so teams don't know exactly how much cap they have. I'm not sure if that gives them an advantage though. Handshake deals aren't exactly enforceable? Maybe they were signed but they waited to submit to the league?

Speaking of Palmieri, he was a popular fan pick in the 2009 draft IIRC. Sigh..

Reactions: timw33

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I was reading about how the Islanders are "exploiting" another loop hole. They basically have all these deals in place but waiting to announce/finalize those deals so teams don't know exactly how much cap they have. I'm not sure if that gives them an advantage though. Handshake deals aren't exactly enforceable? Maybe they were signed but they waited to submit to the league?

Speaking of Palmieri, he was a popular fan pick in the 2009 draft IIRC. Sigh..

Yeah I don't see it as a loophole at all.

All of the risk is borne by the players in this situation as NYI could still change course and not honour the deal, or worse, the player could get into a career-ending ATV accident and lose the entire deal cause they wouldn't be able to pass a physical.

If it's to protect from offersheets to say, Beauvillier, not sure how it helps. If a team sends an OS to Beauvillier for 6MM x 6 years and NYI match it, then one of those guys with handshake deals is going to get ****ed over to make the cap work.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I mean, every GM candidate being interviewed anywhere will come into the interview with a plan for what they'll do with the team in question.

If I had to guess, I'd say that FA/Linden were obviously leaning one direction and then Benning came in as the guy spewing the sort of compete-now ideas selling himself as the guy to build a winner now that were absolute music to their ears.

I think that FA has always been the impatient, immature "win-now" person, and Benning came along and validated this opinion, stating something like "ya sure it can be done with the **retool**" and it went from there.

Gillis wanted to do a full sell-off rebuild and got fired for that.

I've said it before, the rot always starts at the top.

Reactions: wetcoast and MarkMM

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I imagine that Linden, having never held a hockey operations role before, was probably pretty comfortable deferring to Benning and his experience. Plans aside, I recall a quote from Linden about being impressed by Jim's recall of players stats, and goals that they'd scored inthe past etc.
Maybe Jim won over Trevor as a person first and the plan was secondary.

Reactions: MarkMM

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I imagine that Linden, having never held a hockey operations role before, was probably pretty comfortable deferring to Benning and his experience. Plans aside, I recall a quote from Linden about being impressed by Jim's recall of players stats, and goals that they'd scored inthe past etc.

Some some reports have said, I think Linden did miss having a mentor to go to like Pat Quinn. He interviewed Gilman for the GM spot and Henning was still there, but it doesn't seem like Linden leaned on them at all. Instead, Linden preferred TC Carling at his side.

Sakic made a ton of mistakes when he first started but at least he had an existing GM there as well as Pierre Lacroix. Shanahan brought in Lou and hired Babcock. Linden should have brought in a senior advisor to help with the GM search and go from there.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Some some reports have said, I think Linden did miss having a mentor to go to like Pat Quinn. He interviewed Gilman for the GM spot and Henning was still there, but it doesn't seem like Linden leaned on them at all. Instead, Linden preferred TC Carling at his side.

Sakic made a ton of mistakes when he first started but at least he had an existing GM there as well as Pierre Lacroix. Shanahan brought in Lou and hired Babcock. Linden should have brought in a senior advisor to help with the GM search and go from there.

Imagine how different things could be if Pat hadn't past away and was able to come in and mentor Trevor. Good or bad it would have been different.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Yeah I don't see it as a loophole at all.

All of the risk is borne by the players in this situation as NYI could still change course and not honour the deal, or worse, the player could get into a career-ending ATV accident and lose the entire deal cause they wouldn't be able to pass a physical.

If it's to protect from offersheets to say, Beauvillier, not sure how it helps. If a team sends an OS to Beauvillier for 6MM x 6 years and NYI match it, then one of those guys with handshake deals is going to get ****ed over to make the cap work.

too many hockey dudes just love the idea of lou lam being the nhl's tony soprano for whatever reason hahah

the far easier explanation seems to be that he's a bit of an old prick, but he's won and has built a strong team so hockey players raised on a culture of compliance buy into his rules

Reactions: timw33

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i think lou just said that all the deals are contingent on everybody getting signed where the isles want them.

simple.

nothing wrong with that. makes solid sense.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
i think lou just said that all the deals are contingent on everybody getting signed where the isles want them.

simple.

nothing wrong with that. makes solid sense.

Surely he couldn't have meant that "all" the deals were contingent. That would just be silly.

It usually sounds good to declare that certain players could have gotten more money but he really wanted to be here etc.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
A lot of 8 year deals being signed. C'mmon Petey!

I'm curious about Cizikas' 6 year deal. It's like if Washington signed Beagle to a 6 year deal at the same age?

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016

That's how I saw it as well. When he finally found his footing, he realized something was wrong (i.e. started asking other GMs for ideas at the draft), but did not get a chance to undo his own mistakes.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
A lot of 8 year deals being signed. C'mmon Petey!

I'm curious about Cizikas' 6 year deal. It's like if Washington signed Beagle to a 6 year deal at the same age?
Makes sense for Parayko to do 8 years. Still a year left so this won’t begin until he is 29. Ends when he is 37. Thus a little lower AAV due to the age factor. No point hitting the market again at 34/35. Surprisingly this deal ends at the same age AP will end his deal with Vegas which the Blues didn’t end up giving him.

Petey, figure they should at least agree on a term by now. Don’t see him doing 8 years.

Reactions: F A N

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Parayko has always been an ugly skater and there were a lot of red flags in his play last year which fell off a cliff big-time. Not so sure that committing 9 years into the future on him will look very smart.

Also it remains bizarre that St. Louis is handing out retirement deals to every player *except* Alex Pietrangelo who was by far their best/most important player.

Reactions: Red

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
That's gonna be an ugly contract by the halfway point. Not sure why GMs keep doing that, but for not caring that far down the line as they'll likely be gone by then..

And also yeah as mentioned above, weird choices for who gets big money but not AP the only #1 who's worth it.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Parayko has always been an ugly skater and there were a lot of red flags in his play last year which fell off a cliff big-time. Not so sure that committing 9 years into the future on him will look very smart.

Also it remains bizarre that St. Louis is handing out retirement deals to every player *except* Alex Pietrangelo who was by far their best/most important player.

Like, them acquiring Faulk for a 1st and prospect and signing to term for 6.5MM instead of just...extending your best player, totally insane.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
That's gonna be an ugly contract by the halfway point. Not sure why GMs keep doing that, but for not caring that far down the line as they'll likely be gone by then..

And also yeah as mentioned above, weird choices for who gets big money but not AP the only #1 who's worth it.

Seem to be the new trend to keep the AAV down. Canucks will need to make a tough decision on Horvat, I really don't want the club to be paying him until he's 36.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Like, them acquiring Faulk for a 1st and prospect and signing to term for 6.5MM instead of just...extending your best player, totally insane.

It's absolutely mental. It's quietly one of the most insane things that's happened in the NHL in the last 5 years.

Faulk, Binnington, Schenn, Krug all with huge retirement contracts. Couldn't do it for Pietrangelo.

Seem to be the new trend to keep the AAV down. Canucks will need to make a tough decision on Horvat, I really don't want the club to be paying him until he's 36.

This whole trend of giving guys huge AAVs until age 35+ in a league where players generally fall off a cliff at age 30-32 can be summed up pretty easily :

"I'm probably not going to be the GM in 8 years and if I am I'll try to clean it up when I get there. Need to retain players now to retain job."

If the GM gets 2-3 good years out of that player that pushes back his firing, it's a great move for him. Screw the overall health of the team.

And yeah, Horvat is probably destined to be a boat anchor here in a few years, sadly.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016

To this day I don't understand the Faulk resigning. I would of completely understood if they got him as a rental to try and win another cup while their window was open. But to sign him to that contract when your best player and captain needs a new contract, and prioritizing a player that at that point had regressed to a Tyler Myers 4/5 that needs 3 minutes of PP time a game to hit 35 points is bass ackwards.

St Louis is starting to look like San Jose with their cap structure. But St Louis giving everyone retirement contracts but everyone but their best player is just weird. It would be like LA giving big retirement deals to everyone but Kopitar.

J Corso

Sep 22, 2020
Fanny Bay
GM isn't a factory worker or a cook with a fixed job. It's completely wide open how you do that job. You go into an interview with that guy asking "What's your plan, what do you think needs to be done for this team to win the cup?"

This narrative that Jimbo is just a passenger is ridiculous.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Paryko was dealing with a bad back that affected his play last season. If he’s healthy he should get back to the level he was playing at before. But you never know know with back injuries especially for such a big guy.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
NOt a new trend. When Perry, Getzlaf hit ufa at 28 they both got 8 years deals at over an $8 mill AAV taking them to 36. Perry got bought out 2 years ago. Seabrook around the same age when he got his deal which still has years on it.

Really 4 options with a key player hitting ufa in their late 20’s.
1) sign them for long term
2) trade them for assets before they go ufa
3) keep them and make a run if the team is good enough like Carolina did with Hamilton.
4) this doesn’t happen but could they do a 4 year deal and pay the big AAV needed. Like if the Blues gave Parayko 4 years at $9.5 or $10 mill per to get him to $38 or $40 mill. Leaves him at age 33 to find a 4 year deal for the remaining $12-$14 mill to make him whole. Only way any player would even consider a less than maximum term that they can get deal. But doesn’t leave the team much room to fill out the roster.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis was dead the second that Binnington contract was inked. Both for what it was and for what it meant moving forward, and things have continued exactly on that trajectory.

Reactions: racerjoe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad