Around the League thread: Phil in Pitt. And other NHL topics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
The Kessel and Crosby experiment seems to be ending and Phil is skating with other players today at Pens practice.

The just wait until Phil gets a real centre position seems to be muddling the water, and now another team is finding out that Phil is not the guy that elevates his play with better players.

Penguins separate Kessel, Crosby in line shuffle at Friday ... link : http://www.thescore.com/news/861511

I suspect Crosby has been lobbying since the get go to not be saddled with one of the Pens new RWers....... not surprised other then it took this long into the season.....but Crosby is a work horse and determined so he made the best of a bad situation and now the inevitable change has taken place.....

See where it goes from here....

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Sadly this could all really turn out badly if we don't get a first round draft pick.
Discuss.

Getting an extra 2nd round pick is more value than trading up from a 2nd to a #15-30 overall, so it wouldn't be that bad if the Pens miss the playoffs the next two years.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Getting an extra 2nd round pick is more value than trading up from a 2nd to a #15-30 overall, so it wouldn't be that bad if the Pens miss the playoffs the next two years.

There's just more value in holding that 1st rounder with the option to use it draft day on a player who dropped or parlaying it into more draft picks like happened at the 2015 draft. However two 2nd's that have to be in the first 14 picks of that round aren't exactly a terrible consolation prize.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Kuznetsov is playing out of this world right now. Last years playoffs he looked great but he shows no signs of slowing down.

Drafted by Washington Capitals
- round 1 #26 overall 2010 NHL Entry Draft

23 years old, so not an overnight sensation, but a developed player. 6', 192 lbs., 3rd.(kinda) season in the NHL.

It is still early, but this is what we hope happens with the Leafs prospects, given time they get to show their skill. Same draft as Tarasenko, Johansen, Seguin, Hall, Schwartz, ...

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
There's just more value in holding that 1st rounder with the option to use it draft day on a player who dropped or parlaying it into more draft picks like happened at the 2015 draft. However two 2nd's that have to be in the first 14 picks of that round aren't exactly a terrible consolation prize.

I would like the draft choice this year rather than wait until next year or the year following.

To be honest, I can't see Pittsburgh not turning it around & making the playoffs this year. If they don't start producing very soon I could see them getting rid of their coach. Rutherford will be looking for success now, not for a few years down the road.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
I would like the draft choice this year rather than wait until next year or the year following.

I think it's either a 2016 1st, a 2017 1st, or a 2017 2nd (and no 2nd going the other way), so it'll be this year or next at the latest.

To be honest, I can't see Pittsburgh not turning it around & making the playoffs this year. If they don't start producing very soon I could see them getting rid of their coach. Rutherford will be looking for success now, not for a few years down the road.

I agree they want to win now, but historically the ownership there has been slow to pull the trigger on coaching changes. They waited a couple years too long on Bylsma.

Even with a new coach, I could see them missing. They only made the playoffs the last day of the season last year. And this year I think they're a worse team. They got Kessel, but their defense is in shambles. They lost Martin, Ehrhoff, and Depres and replaced them with minor leaguers, essentially. They lost some forward depth too in Spaling, Downie, and Comeau who all played 13-14 minutes, and replaced them with minor leaguers Plotnikov and Porter. And they're tight against the cap so it's hard for them to even bring in help via trade.

It'll be interesting to see if they can get out of the mess. I can't remember the last time their model of 5 superstars, 5 decent players, and 10 replacement level guys actually worked.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Difference: Mario + company are trying to sell said Penguins. which means they 'll have to make sure they 're doing well enough to convince new owners they are cup contenders (that actually have a chance) and not just.... yeah we can make the playoffs and hope for the best.

mikebel111*

How come? Haven't saw many Detroit games this year.

Well reading their board. They are saying that they are getting outplayed in basically every game. Has made some baffling decisions in regards to power play personnel. Plus the team doesn't start games of well

Maybe they miss Babcock;)

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
My fear with Dion is that if he suffers a decline with age he may become un moveable give the size of his contract.

I think a Dion trade needs to be management's biggest priority of this season and upcoming offseason

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
My fear with Dion is that if he suffers a decline with age he may become un moveable give the size of his contract.

I think a Dion trade needs to be management's biggest priority of this season and upcoming offseason

I agree with you. I think there are a few teams that use him but Columbus might need him the most. I would think the Leafs see the danger but Babs has also relied heavily on older players through-out his career so you never know.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I think it's either a 2016 1st, a 2017 1st, or a 2017 2nd (and no 2nd going the other way), so it'll be this year or next at the latest.

I think of it like this

1. 2016 1st (15-30), no extra 2nd in 2016
or
2. 2017 1st (15-30) plus extra 2016 2nd (31-44) minus 2017 2nd (31-60)
or
3. 2016 2nd (31-44) plus 2017 2nd (31-44)

It'll be interesting to see if they can get out of the mess. I can't remember the last time their model of 5 superstars, 5 decent players, and 10 replacement level guys actually worked.

Other than the NBA. :sarcasm:

Although the Chicago Blackhawks are sort of that: 4 superstars (Toews, Kane, Hossa, Keith) plus the good players like Seabrook, Crawford, etc. and the various support players who have taken part in their Stanley Cup runs.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Even with a new coach, I could see them missing. They only made the playoffs the last day of the season last year. And this year I think they're a worse team. They got Kessel, but their defense is in shambles. They lost Martin, Ehrhoff, and Depres and replaced them with minor leaguers, essentially. They lost some forward depth too in Spaling, Downie, and Comeau who all played 13-14 minutes, and replaced them with minor leaguers Plotnikov and Porter. And they're tight against the cap so it's hard for them to even bring in help via trade.

They need to have some top players on ELC, not superstars and depth players with nothing to speak of in between.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Apparently, Torts benched Johansen last night for being out of shape.

Good for him. I kinda rag on Torts for being a bit stubborn, but if the so called "leader" of your team is going to be a lazy ass ****, no wonder you are 0-8. Need to send a message.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I agree with you. I think there are a few teams that use him but Columbus might need him the most. I would think the Leafs see the danger but Babs has also relied heavily on older players through-out his career so you never know.

I'm hoping Boston makes a play for him, I think they'll try a "retool" rather than a rebuild at this point. Chia may want to see what he can do with Dion - he's another coach who loves his vets.

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada

Good for him. I kinda rag on Torts for being a bit stubborn, but if the so called "leader" of your team is going to be a lazy ass ****, no wonder you are 0-8. Need to send a message.

Something Leaf fans are well aware of.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

Johansen seems like the kind of kid who needs external motivation to go the requisite length.

It's weird that a team with so many character players and leaders have something like this be an issue.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Something Leaf fans are well aware of.

Johansen seems like the kind of kid who needs external motivation to go the requisite length.

It's weird that a team with so many character players and leaders have something like this be an issue.

on the Fan960, they said for the last 6 minutes of the 3rd. period, he was on pace for about 16+ minutes, ended up with 13:57.

Torts making a statement, and we know what kind of wingnut Torts is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad