Around the League Thread Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
No offense but that's crap. If they're taking shots nightly I get what you're saying, but like I said above, you can ask a tough question respectfully without becoming part of the story. There IS certainly a delicate balance but right now ours walk on the polar opposite end of the spectrum as the douche above.

I'm not saying what Matheson did was right. Draisaitl was asked cliche tough questions though and he DID get pissy.

How well do you think it will go if someone asks, say "Why DO you put the same powerplay unit out for 90 seconds again and again when it keeps failing?"

Do you think you'll get a friendly answer or that you'll get acknowledged at the next scrum?

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I'm not saying what Matheson did was right. Draisaitl was asked cliche tough questions though and he DID get pissy.

How well do you think it will go if someone asks, say "Why DO you put the same powerplay unit out for 90 seconds again and again when it keeps failing?"

Do you think you'll get a friendly answer or that you'll get acknowledged at the next scrum?
If it makes people mad for being called out for being morons, maybe they should stop being morons? :)

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

You can ask difficult questions without being a douche, too...phrase it like the above and you get what you deserve. I don't understand why it would be too hard to ask, for example, with evidence, "the powerplay has been a struggle with common personnel for the last (x amount of years); what plans are there to address it and/or are there other personnel that may help?"

And of course asking that to a player is f***ing stupid, anyway, but that's a different conversation. But if a staffer can't handle being asked about why THIER powerplay has been ranked 25th or whatever in the league for three years...

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
That wasn't a "difficult" question. It was a lazy question and Draisaitl answered it the right way and when Matheson asked him to clarify he responded with "personality"... the thing everybody bemoans athletes for not having enough of.

Then Matheson insults him and he handled it totally calmly. While I don't always love the questions that get asked here in LA the problem, in my mind, lies more with the format than the participants. If you only get these guys for a few minutes at a time and you have to share it with everyone else... ask better questions or don't ask anything at all.

If you can't write an article/produce a show etc without the perfect soundbite from an athlete then you're not as good at your job as you think you are.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
This is why I give the So Cal reporters, beat writers, bloggers, and podcasters slack for "not asking the hard-hitting questions."

The moment it starts getting spicy, you might start getting tantrums and lose access for a sound bite.

Not that I don't WANT to hear tougher questions be asked, but it's a much more delicate balance if you want to evoke a response. Usually, it just doesn't seem like it's worth it.

The Kings represent the exact opposite situation in my opinion. Anytime I watch a postgame scrum nearly every single person asking questions is on the Kings payroll it seems.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Lemonlimey

Apr 1, 2014
Crestone
The Wild are just becoming more and more unlikeable and dirtier by the minute, I love that MacD didn't let him off the hook. Greenway thought he was going to get away with it and if he doesn't get a good long suspension, he just really crippled a divisional foe for very little.

Greenway is a f***ing clown, anyway, can't forget him trying to give Lizotte the business repeatedly.

Thank you from Avs land for this 10/10 take.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
What is Vegas going to do here to clear cap for Eichel? Smith I think is all but gone, but I think they need to clear more. A-Mart does not count as he is on LTIR. Who goes?

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
That wasn't a "difficult" question. It was a lazy question and Draisaitl answered it the right way and when Matheson asked him to clarify he responded with "personality"... the thing everybody bemoans athletes for not having enough of.

Then Matheson insults him and he handled it totally calmly. While I don't always love the questions that get asked here in LA the problem, in my mind, lies more with the format than the participants. If you only get these guys for a few minutes at a time and you have to share it with everyone else... ask better questions or don't ask anything at all.

If you can't write an article/produce a show etc without the perfect soundbite from an athlete then you're not as good at your job as you think you are.

Unrelated, but just wanted to say I've really enjoyed the Route.com "Track Some Numbers" segment you've been doing on the podcast recently. The Kempe ice time deep dive recently was enlightening. Keep it up! :thumbu:

Reactions: funky and YP44

Lemonlimey

Apr 1, 2014
Crestone
You might find folks here who didn't want MacDermid as a lineup regular, but you won't find anyone here who doesn't think he's the consummate teammate and an absolute warrior. Greenway thought he was going to get away with one and MacD fed him his lunch, loved to see it as well.

And as important as that beating was, your folks who didn’t see a spot for him would be proven right by how MacDermid came away with 17 minutes in penalties, essentially putting the Avs down to 5D the rest of the game, and the instigator call negated any power play. Kurtis HAS to do it, the optics of not would be impossible to carry forever for Colorado (not standing up for your goaler). His team and coach loved it.

What’s annoying is Greenway really *did* get away with it. He skated the rest of the game Kuemper and MacDermid were removed from, and surely Dean Evason loved the whole dishonorable episode earned Minny a point. This questions the role of an enforcer any longer existing in the NHL, as he did his job to a T and it meant nothing. Only the Department of Player Safety would be any true disincentive. and they did nothing.

So now Colorado is out their starter and every coach in the league watching further learned what’s really what in the NHL atm. Best Sport, Worst League.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
And as important as that beating was, your folks who didn’t see a spot for him would be proven right by how MacDermid came away with 17 minutes in penalties, essentially putting the Avs down to 5D the rest of the game, and the instigator call negated any power play. Kurtis HAS to do it, the optics of not would be impossible to carry forever for Colorado (not standing up for your goaler). His team and coach loved it.

What’s annoying is Greenway really *did* get away with it. He skated the rest of the game Kuemper and MacDermid were removed from, and surely Dean Evason loved the whole dishonorable episode earned Minny a point. This questions the role of an enforcer any longer existing in the NHL, as he did his job to a T and it meant nothing. Only the Department of Player Safety would be any true disincentive. and they did nothing.

So now Colorado is out their starter and every coach in the league watching further learned what’s really what in the NHL atm. Best Sport, Worst League.

solid use of "Goaler"

Reactions: Lemonlimey

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com

I dont know, I personally liked Draisaitl response.. the reporter a got a little bit too familiar for my tastes. There is nothing much you can say there without throwing someone under the bus. Usually when a team collapses like this, its their way of saying fire the coach and he's not going to come near indicating that.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I think the bigger reason why I'm more okay with Matheson's line of questioning than usual is because there's a mix of **** leadership and zero accountability. Tippett blaming the goalies, goalies blaming the lack of scoring, McDavid shrugs and tells the fans and media "it is what it is" if they don't like a questionable character in Kane, then shrugs again when asked why they're playing like crap.

The organization and the fools all around it deserve to be called out.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I think the bigger reason why I'm more okay with Matheson's line of questioning than usual is because there's a mix of **** leadership and zero accountability. Tippett blaming the goalies, goalies blaming the lack of scoring, McDavid shrugs and tells the fans and media "it is what it is" if they don't like a questionable character in Kane, then shrugs again when asked why they're playing like crap.

I can agree with that to a degree. The whole organization stinks and no one will give answers top to bottom.

That being said Matheson isn't entitled to them any more than anyone else, douche bag needs to check his ego.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I am in the middle. I think they were both being jackasses a little bit. While I agree that accountability needs to be addressed and the message is all over the place for the Oilers; Matheson knows exactly what he is doing there and the only reason for the back and forth is to rile Draisaitl into making a slip of the tongue media mistake and not get a real answer. There is no where for Draisaitl to go there and he isn't going to throw people under the bus.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI

They are the LA Chargers of the NHL. On paper it should be way better, but something is just wrong every year, and I think a real major shake up would be in order.

Friedman and Marek disagreed on their podcast what to do, Marek thinks they need to trade for a goalie and Freidman says they need to play a more defensive style.

I feel like if this were the 90's maybe they would have traded Leon by now, but it is unlikely in modern times.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
They are the LA Chargers of the NHL. On paper it should be way better, but something is just wrong every year, and I think a real major shake up would be in order.

Friedman and Marek disagreed on their podcast what to do, Marek thinks they need to trade for a goalie and Freidman says they need to play a more defensive style.

I feel like if this were the 90's maybe they would have traded Leon by now, but it is unlikely in modern times.
They need to trade for a goalie. It's hard to understate how important it is to have a quality starting goaltender in the NHL. Why the Oilers don't understand this I don't know.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

The Oilers need to trade Draisaitl to LA for Cal Petersen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad