Around the League Thread | Hockey is Back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
showing my age here but i remember back in high school i had this friend who wasalways talking up this local band that not a lot of people knew called nickleback. it was the late 90s and they had this song that was on semi-regular rotation on 99.3 the fox that sounded exactly like the band bush.

and i thought, yeah that’s what the world wants to listen to, a cancon version of bush (x)

well they sure showed me right?

Yeah, they got tons of play on CFOX in the mid-late90s with Detangler and Fly, IIRC. I unintentionally saw them play live in early summer 2001; they played their upcoming single "How You Remind Me," and I thought they were better when they were a generic grunge-sounding band instead of this new sound as a generic medium rock band. Next thing you know, a couple weeks later that song was being played on the radio somewhere in the world 24/7.

Did run into them and shoot the shit briefly after that show and they seemed like nice enough dudes and shared their beers with my friends. It's wild to think how their lives were about to change.

Also, that album was released September 11, 2001.

Last edited:

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
showing my age here but i remember back in high school i had this friend who wasalways talking up this local band that not a lot of people knew called nickleback. it was the late 90s and they had this song that was on semi-regular rotation on 99.3 the fox that sounded exactly like the band bush.

and i thought, yeah that’s what the world wants to listen to, a cancon version of bush (x)

well they sure showed me right?
Which song sounded like Bush x?

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
You can blame Flames management for this shit show. They wanted to re-create 2004 vibe again but there are issues with that:

-No other person in Canada will cheer for a Calgary run unless it’s their own team.

-The only reason people cheered for the Flames is because that whole ‘rah rah cheer for Canada’ cause it’s a Canadian team, whatever the f***.

-Unless Jarome Iginla and Mika Kiprusoff were on this version of the Flames in their prime, they were going anywhere.

-Lightning in a bottle, Flames didn’t build of that run after and they massively underachieved since.

So signing Huberdeau and Kadri made sense for them cause 2 players whom they drafted wanted to leave cause they didn’t want to stay in Calgary any longer.

Unfortunately, both had career years and both wanted a retirement contract. Disaster.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I think the whole "Canada's team" thing is long dead anyway, maybe since before 2011.

Personally I hate every other Canadian team, and if I don't full on hate them, it harness my inner Don Draper "I don't think about you at all" (looking at you Ottawa, Winnipeg.)

Does any hockey fan really get patriotic and think it's OK that Auston Matthews won a cup because Canada.

kylek023

Oct 22, 2021
Toronto, Ontario
I think the whole "Canada's team" thing is long dead anyway, maybe since before 2011.

Personally I hate every other Canadian team, and if I don't full on hate them, it harness my inner Don Draper "I don't think about you at all" (looking at you Ottawa, Winnipeg.)

Does any hockey fan really get patriotic and think it's OK that Auston Matthews won a cup because Canada.
I hear more people talk about the concept of "Canada's team" (whether if it's real or not or how we should or shouldn't follow it) than actually espousing it. The whole idea feels artificial or forced to me.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Im fron Finland and I really rather see a Canadian team win the cup.

Just to know they might still allow that to happen.

Reactions: andora

petterdaddy

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2023
Vancouver

I say the Canucks are Canada’s team mostly to just piss off Leafs fans

ForecheckBackcheck

Nov 2, 2019
In the event that Calgary blows it up this season and trades expiring contracts, what would it cost us to get Tanev back? Objectively he hasn't been that effective this year, and is almost 34.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
'Canada's team' automatically applies to every Canadian team that goes deep into the Stanley Cup playoffs. And the mantel is inherited by the last survivor.

All except maybe the Canucks in 2011. For some reason that team was detested on both sides of the border.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
That huberdeau contract is even worse than i thought.

Has to be the worst in the league considering its completely buy out proof, and Huberdeau even if he slacks, is not exactly your prototypical 3rd or 4th liner.

What a disaster

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
That huberdeau contract is even worse than i thought.

Has to be the worst in the league considering its completely buy out proof, and Huberdeau even if he slacks, is not exactly your prototypical 3rd or 4th liner.

What a disaster
What I find more shocking is the fact that Toronto took one look at the state of affairs in Calgary and said "that's our guy".

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
What I find more shocking is the fact that Toronto took one look at the state of affairs in Calgary and said "that's our guy".

Calgary wanted to keep him!

It's insane. Similar to here I'm sure there was some ownership involvement but he's put that team in a truly awful spot for the next decade. It's one thing to have a couple of negative contracts as bad assets but they might have a negative asset organization. If they wanted to get out of these bad contracts they would have to basically give up everything of value to get out of them. Just an absolute mess and it's hilarious.

Reactions: vanarchy and Vector

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

It's insane. Similar to here I'm sure there was some ownership involvement but he's put that team in a truly awful spot for the next decade. It's one thing to have a couple of negative contracts as bad assets but they might have a negative asset organization. If they wanted to get out of these bad contracts they would have to basically give up everything of value to get out of them. Just an absolute mess and it's hilarious.
This is the reality of the CBA in that high end players push for maximum term. Helly and Scheiff just got deals that take them to age 38. Kadri's deal is to age 38.

There's not going to be any changing that in the near future. Unless, it's written into the CBA like the NBA, with puts the limit at 5/4 years, but I believe that has voidable years. NFL, not guaranteed contracts, but teams eat dead salary cap based on the remaining unallocated cap charges on money already paid to the player (like an NHL buyout, but no future money is coming out of pocket most of the time), but the dead cap charges only last 2 more seasons and then your books are clear.

If a team makes a mistake, it's really punitive for the fanbase in the NHL.

Reactions: vanarchy

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
If a team makes a mistake, it's really punitive for the fanbase in the NHL.

It also hurts other players as there's less money for the guys who actually deserve it. It's why shorter contracts with a high cap floor makes sense because all of the money will still be spent.. it will just be spent on the right guys.

Reactions: vanarchy

vanarchy

May 3, 2013

He basically set off 2 grenades on his way out Calgary and then got a heroes welcome in Toronto. :laugh: Bizarre times

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I keep saying...Billionaires are very frugal and paranoid at the best of times. When things go south, they lose any sort of rational thinking and default to rash stupid short-term decisions to preserve a buck. Many of these owners have a safety net in the form of diversified investments so they will be ok even if they tank their franchise.

These moves were purely done to reel in the casuals. Well, now the hardcore and casual fans will be tuning out in Calgary. In Winnipeg, it was probably best to appease to the hardcore fans by committing to some sort of rebuild.

Reactions: vancityluongo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad