Around the League Thread | Expansion Draft Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
head-coach-jon-cooper-of-the-tampa-bay-lightning-shakes-hands-with-picture-id1233881982

tampering?

lawrence

May 19, 2012
It's kinda scary Jake Bean gets a 2.3 million dollar contract because Juolevi's agent might leverage this and Juolevi as much as I support him does not even deserve Half of that. Guys like Bean or Juolevi should be on a show me contract, like 1 year or something.

Reactions: AppleHoneySauce

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Kouleas and O'Brien's radio segment on NHL today, O'Brien says that in our division, Vegas is the favorite, but after that it's a toss-up between Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver for 2nd and 3rd. In the rapid-fire segment, O'Brien was asked if the Kraken is a playoff team. To paraphrase he said no, who's going to score the goals? He did have them ahead of the 3 California teams though.

Gary Bettman was also a guest on the show.

when asked about Olympic participation

"In the press release where we released the schedule that has the Olympic break, there was a couple of sentences to the effect that this was the Olympic break schedule, but not everything has been resolved and we have an alternate schedule" "If the players association can iron out with the IIHF and the IOC the open issues, then we will go. I don't think it's terrific." He goes on about how the last two seasons were disrupted.

Asked if NHL Officials should talk to the media after playoff games, or is that just a crazy idea?

"No, I wouldn't say it's a crazy idea, I've thought of it periodically.... but you have to remember, the refs are travelling all over the place, they are basically on their own. They don't have the same infrastructure say the players or coaches have in terms of a PR staff with them and having enough time to decompress. The fact is, we, organizationally, follow, monitor, critique and chart every game, and to the extent to the officiating questions, the situation room in Toronto is more than able to answer them which is on a real time basis. Whenever this is an incident in a game or a video review, all major media outlets know they can get a tweet from us and an explanation if they need it. So in terms of the orderly functioning of the game, I don't think that it is realistic that it would improve things of give greater clarity."

Asked about Chicago situation and Logan draft. He said he was stunned, father of two daughters himself, what happened was horrific.... requires evaluation, how this evolves etc... doesn't take the bait on Chicago and only talks about the Habs pick and takes a 'wait and see' stance.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Maker and werenski’s extension really put us in a bad spot rn

Makar finished 2nd in the Norris voting and is not really comparable.

The thing about Werenski's deal that nobody seems to understand is that it buys 5 UFA years. That's just how it works. More UFA years bought = more expensive. Makar's only buys 2.

Hughes has, what, 5 more years of RFA left? It's not even possible to sign him to a Werenski type contract.

Reactions: tradervik and m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Werenski's current bridge contract is a better comparable than this new one.

Hughes # will be curious though because a year ago all the talk was the big 3 young d-men with Miro, Makar, and Hughes. Those other two got paid and maybe he thinks he's still in that group.

Boose Brudreau

Guddbranson is a paper tiger
Nov 27, 2006

Hughes # will be curious though because a year ago all the talk was the big 3 young d-men with Miro, Makar, and Hughes. Those other two got paid and maybe he thinks he's still in that group.
well he better start playing like them if he wants to get paid like them. i get that these players have self confidence that us mortals can't comprehend.....but QH (hopefully) isn't so delusional that he doesn't see last year was a significant step back.

Reactions: m9

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018

Why wouldn't he think he's not in that group. He produces points at one of the highest rates ever on an ELC. Obviously his defensive numbers are worse, but we also know that it isn't just his play that factors into those defensive results. The Canucks as a team defend poorly.

I know Werenski and McAvoy are the bridges people look to, and they're better all around defenders, but Hughes' point totals are what get players paid.

I also think the agents know how much of a focal point and basically a crown jewel he and Pettersson are to this organization and all the goodwill they got with the OEL moves and free agency flies out the window if there is disharmony with these two.

edit* it's wild to me people think it amounts to delusion if a top 10 point producing defensman (top 5 since he entered the league) will view himself as valuable. Yes we all know he has deficiencies but again, those totals get people paid.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Why wouldn't he think he's not in that group. He produces points at one of the highest rates ever on an ELC. Obviously his defensive numbers are worse, but we also know that it isn't just his play that factors into those defensive results. The Canucks as a team defend poorly.

I know Werenski and McAvoy are the bridges people look to, and they're better all around defenders, but Hughes' point totals are what get players paid.

I also think the agents know how much of a focal point and basically a crown jewel he and Pettersson are to this organization and all the goodwill they got with the OEL moves and free agency flies out the window if there is disharmony with these two.

edit* it's wild to me people think it amounts to delusion if a top 10 point producing defensman (top 5 since he entered the league) will view himself as valuable. Yes we all know he has deficiencies but again, those totals get people paid.

Oh, I totally agree that his agents know he's worth more to them Canucks because he's a focal point of the franchise. I just think the Canucks should be careful not to overpay for that because it really shouldn't factor in.

Fair enough on Werenski. Obviously Hughes will come in somewhere his two numbers. My prediction is 7.5 as there's no way he takes less than OEL's 7.26.. nor should he.

And is anyone saying he's not valuable? They are saying he's not as valuable as certain other players. Do you think Hughes is top 10 defenseman in the league?

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Oof, Boston just lost David Krejci who is retiring from the NHL.

I have to believe they'll be in for Eichel.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007

So you’re saying Hughes deserves the credit for his offence but it’s the team that deserves the blame for his defence?

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
You give Hughes Literally the exact same contract that Mcavoy and Werenski got.

easy comparables
The cap hasn't changed from those percentages of the cap and are decent to contrast around

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You give Hughes Literally the exact same contract that Mcavoy and Werenski got.

easy comparables
The cap hasn't changed from those percentages of the cap

Then Hughes needs to be traded ASAP.

Edit - ah sorry I thought you were referring to Werenski’s new deal and not his bridge deal. Yes, Hughes should be in the $5 million range on a bridge.

Last edited:

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Makar finished 2nd in the Norris voting and is not really comparable.

The thing about Werenski's deal that nobody seems to understand is that it buys 5 UFA years. That's just how it works. More UFA years bought = more expensive. Makar's only buys 2.

Hughes has, what, 5 more years of RFA left? It's not even possible to sign him to a Werenski type contract.

Yep. And they also don't do the thing where they tack on extra years past the prime to lower the cap hit - Werenski's deal expires when he's 30. Wish more teams would do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad