Around the League Thread | Coaching Carousel Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Next season, Ottawa will have 4 players with near 8m contracts (Tkachuk, Stutzle, Norris, and Chabot) and DeBrincat will be a RFA. If DeBrincat gets near 8m, they'll have about half their cap space committed to 5 players.
Only Chabot the non forward. Going to have to make some hay real soon. Batherson is also at $5 mill. So that would be players at like $45/46 mill.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Fortune Favours The Bold.

That’s the mind set of GMs in terms of signing young stars to long term deals.

The expectation is that if they continue to progress, with a rising cap, the deal will look like a master stroke in the future. It also allows them the flexibility to build a championship team around them given their cost certainty.

On the flip side, it provides security to the young player if they do not progress or have injury issues.

Everything is a calculated risk but the upside tends to lean more heavily in relation to the potential downside.

Good for Ottawa. f***ing crushed their offseason. Happy for them.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Fortune Favours The Bold.

That’s the mind set of GMs in terms of signing young stars to long term deals.

The expectation is that if they continue to progress, with a rising cap, the deal will look like a master strike in the future. It also allows them the flexibility to build a championship team around them given their cost certainty.

On the flip side, it provides security to the young player if they do not progress or have injury issues.

Everything is a calculated risk but the upside tends to lean more heavily in relation to the potential downside.

Good for Ottawa. f***ing crushed their offseason. Happy for them.
This is the way Ottawa has to operate. They are not a ufa destination so when the opportunity presents itself to sign ufa years from your rfa you take it.

Sooner or later they will end up with their own Trouba or Matt Tkachuk that doesn’t want to extend but try to extend all of those who want to stay long term.

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
the absolute risk of these type of deals is giving too much money, too fast to young people. From my experience, people perform better when they're chasing a carrot and money corrupts too easily.

Tryforthekingdom

Nov 15, 2015
Here's the thing, how many points would Stutzle have to score this coming year to earn a contract higher than what he already got? You're essentially already paying for the breakout year before it happens unless he hits 100 points.

Reactions: MS

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Stutzle at 8.35M x 8 scares me for what Petterson's eventual extension will need to be.

I don't understand the trend of awarding huge contracts to young players by gambling that they'll hit their potential..

It's a 32 team race, only one winner and 31 losers. Those odds favour risk takers.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
the absolute risk of these type of deals is giving too much money, too fast to young people. From my experience, people perform better when they're chasing a carrot and money corrupts too easily.
Have to know the player. Have 2-3 years to figure out if money makes them content or whether it just eases their minds so that they can focus in on their performance.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
The Norris contract is risky and Debrincat is probably going to demand the moon to stay, but otherwise I like what they're doing. They won't be in the basement this year.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Tim Stutzle is worth that deal, could end up the best player of his draft class

We’ll also see that we should have gotten both Petey and Hughes to those types of contracts when they get their next payday

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Tim Stutzle is worth that deal, could end up the best player of his draft class

We’ll also see that we should have gotten both Petey and Hughes to those types of contracts when they get their next payday
Not concerned with the Petey deal. There’s a cost to get him up til he’s 33. Have to pay it.
Hughes his skating will allow him to play into his mid 30’s better than other players. But to keep Petey around, have to show that the team is moving forward. I’ve always been more partial to bridging guys then maxing them out after that. Yes there is a cost to doing it but you also are not then having to sign them all the way through to age 36/37 if you maxed them out to 29 on their second deal.

Ottawa is all in on this group. Their goaltending is going to have to hold up and Sanderson needs to be what they hope him to be. Talbot for a year and banking on Sogaard to be their guy. And he needs to get there soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: andora

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Not concerned with the Petey deal. There’s a cost to get him up til he’s 33. Have to pay it.
Hughes his skating will allow him to play into his mid 30’s better than other players. But to keep Petey around, have to show that the team is moving forward. I’ve always been more partial to bridging guys then maxing them out after that. Yes there is a cost to doing it but you also are not then having to sign them all the way through to age 36/37 if you maxed them out to 29 on their second deal.

Ottawa is all in on this group. Their goaltending is going to have to hold up and Sanderson needs to be what they hope him to be. Talbot for a year and banking on Sogaard to be their guy. And he needs to get there soon.
Are they any more all in than the Canucks?

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Leafs maybe in concept lol

After matthews and nylander hopefully re sign, with sandin and liljegren potentially 30 million between those 4.. 2024 offseason they could likely have approx 61 million tied up in 8 players

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Canucks lack a second tier all around. Sens, they lack a goalie that I would trust to go 4 rounds and they seem similar to Toronto being too forward heavy on their contracts.

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
Have to know the player. Have 2-3 years to figure out if money makes them content or whether it just eases their minds so that they can focus in on their performance.

Doesn't work that way. You can only really know when you have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad