Around the League Thread | Coaching Carousel Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
W

Wow, I can't believe McDonagh agreed to this.

Lightning will almost certainly buy out Myers, too ... Canucks should be *all over* him in the summer IMO.

Why? He was obviously allowed to talk to teams interested in him. Nashville is obviously all in now. Great top 4, good goalie, just need offense
Wouldn't be surprised if they make a big run at miller now + re-sign forsberg

Reactions: mathonwy

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Hard to say if McDonagh was regressing but he looked rather bad this playoffs. If he is, well Tampa just made a quality decision to clear out salary.

Reactions: mathonwy

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Why? He was obviously allowed to talk to teams interested in him. Nashville is obviously all in now. Great top 4, good goalie, just need offense
Wouldn't be surprised if they make a big run at miller now + re-sign forsberg

I'm surprised he agreed to go from a contender to a perpetual mediocrity case.

Saying Nashville is "all in" this summer is like saying we were all in last summer. Doesn't mean you're good, it just means you've spent assets.

Trading one of our LTIR contracts to Tampa for Myers would be a good move. They get space to sign Palat
They're better off buying him out, I think.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I can't believe Nashville just took it on, too. There would have been a trade market for Myers with his weird buyout structure. I'm surprised they didn't make TB include a significant sweetener.

Highway robbery by Julien Brisebois, and I'm glad I'm not a Preds fan.

It’s a crazy, game-changing deal for TB and all of a sudden they’re a major player in terms of potentially adding another impact player this summer.

What a GM.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I am so confused by the trade for Nashville. What is their motivation here? Now they have 3 LD making a combined $22m on the cap.

Like, if I’m Filip Forsberg and the Preds are trying to grind me down to sign an extension—and they just triple-down on LD depth, and give away the one buyout mechanism they had in Myers to make more cap space—I would be pissed.

There’s gotta be another Nashville move coming? Right? Maybe they plan to trade Ekholm?

Reactions: canucksfan

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
It’s a crazy, game-changing deal for TB and all of a sudden they’re a major player in terms of potentially adding another impact player this summer.

What a GM.
Even with this move—does it really give them space to add another impact player?

They save some $4m by exchanging McDonagh for Myers—who they apparently are not buying out.

But they still need to re-sign Palat. Unless they move Killorn I don’t really see the space for them to add again?

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
I am so confused by the trade for Nashville. What is their motivation here? Now they have 3 LD making a combined $22m on the cap.

Like, if I’m Filip Forsberg and the Preds are trying to grind me down to sign an extension—and they just triple-down on LD depth, and give away the one buyout mechanism they had in Myers to make more cap space—I would be pissed.

There’s gotta be another Nashville move coming? Right? Maybe they plan to trade Ekholm?

Colorado is all left D with Girard, toews, and byram. Their RHD are all schenn’s . They have makar on the right side though which is probably why the rest of the RHD being schenn/Johnson/gudbranson level works. Lol

Funny that Girard came out of the Nashville D factory too.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Ryan was McDone(ough) and Bweezebwah knew it.

That's what great GMs do.
And 4 more years on that contract $6.725 million. I mean hes still a very good dman but looks a bit tired. Maybe rebounds in 2023-24 season a bit?? A #2 dman who probably will decline at a high salary...

Guess could be worse what with a #3/4 dman making $7.26 million for FIVE more seasons. Or a #4 making $6 million for two more seasons.... on the same team...

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve

What a GM.

He's one of the GMs out there that understands trades purely on cap implications, and not player value. Most of the NHL is still stuck on player = player value.

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
I'm surprised he agreed to go from a contender to a perpetual mediocrity case.

Saying Nashville is "all in" this summer is like saying we were all in last summer. Doesn't mean you're good, it just means you've spent assets.
The west while not wide open is still a crapshoot, granted it's still early in the off-season.
There's still Colorado but they could end up losing half their top 6. Goaltending is also an issue.
Stl is another year older.
Calgary looks to be losing Gaudreau +
Edm still doesn't have a goalie or defense.

Nashville and Canucks were kind of similar situations in that either team would only go as far as their goalies took them..but with nashvilles youth, solid defense (even with mcd stepping back in terms of play) all they need is a few moves on the front end and they are waaay ahead of the canucks.

The Canucks if they had an all in year should have actually been thee year Taney and toffoli were ufa but they would have needed to make the right moves, aka pay to dump which they didn't.

Reactions: Steamer

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Couldn’t get picks if any sort

Wild.
Anyone who has done their homework on Ryan McDonagh knows he is not the same player he was prior. He was a legitimate #1 shutdown guy in his prime but he seemed to regress this year and looked like a bottom pairing guy in the playoffs. Brisebois was probably unwilling to take any chances with the 6.75 mil x 4 year term remaining and dumped him asap. Tampa easily fills his role with Cernak.

It's an unnecessary gamble for Nashville. This contract could look ugly from the get go if McDonagh looks anything less than a #4 guy.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
He's one of the GMs out there that understands trades purely on cap implications, and not player value. Most of the NHL is still stuck on player = player value.
Exactly, I think this is why Tampa is so ahead of the rest of the league. Theres elite GMs like Briesbois, the good ones who fall short, the average, the poor, and the Bennings/Chiarellis

Reactions: Bubbles

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Yeah I think this deal is good for both sides assuming Forsberg re-signs in Nashville.
McD still has gas in the tank and will be solid behind Josi and ekholm, Tampa continues to be progressive and opens up some much needed future flexibility, and I'd take a flyer on Phillipe Myers too.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Good for Tampa to get out of that contract, but they're worse for next year because of this move, and are not in a position to add talent.

Obviously still contenders, but by this point they're with the pack, rather than ahead of the pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad