Around the League Thread | All I Want for Christmas is Luuuu

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I really don’t think we did anything wrong. Everything was just way blown out or proportion. Tanner is fine and healthy in Montreal.
Surgery is done by experts in the field. Not team doctors. Rehab is on the team to handle.
Didn't follow the Pearson saga too closely, so don't know whether he had issues with the surgery itself or the rehab.

That Dallas Hospital better investigate to see if one of their personnel actually told the player to go a hotel and rest. That is a bad look on the hospital's reputation. Need to get to the bottom of that. Should not be telling patients that unless it's really minor. A bloody face, should remain in the hospital waiting room. Maybe it was a mis-translation.

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
No he isn't.

Pearson appeared to suffer the injury when he took a shot off his left hand.

Pearson missed all but 14 games last season with the Vancouver Canucks after suffering another an injury to the same hand in a game against the Canadiens. He had three surgeries for the injury.

He's since been placed on IR.
Missed that. That’s awful news.

Surgery is done by experts in the field. Not team doctors. Rehab is on the team to handle.
Didn't follow the Pearson saga too closely, so don't know whether he had issues with the surgery itself or the rehab.

That Dallas Hospital better investigate to see if one of their personnel actually told the player to go a hotel and rest. That is a bad look on the hospital's reputation. Need to get to the bottom of that. Should not be telling patients that unless it's really minor. A bloody face, should remain in the hospital waiting room. Maybe it was a mis-translation.
I agree.

Reactions: Vector

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
How late do private hospitals open until? Says he arrived at 9:40pm local time.

Those private ones are more elective stuff or move you up the line in terms of scheduling surgery. But, if you need help from 6pm onwards, probably have to go to a regular hospital.
I experienced top notch service from a US hospital (the unfortunate one time I was a "patient" while I was on vacation there). *ZERO* waiting time (after they took my credit card & put a temporary big charge/hold on X amount of dollars :laugh:). Got my own room withcable TV. As long as you are covered, one should have zero issues.

*****PLEASE NOTE*****

*****NEVER, NEVER go on vacation outside the country without adequate extended health coverage either your own coverage or via work*****

My short ambulance ride to the hospital from the airport was $1500US alone (and this was about a decade ago so I'd imagine it would cost more today). At least I got the money back from my employer (or rather via health care plan) and got reward points from use of credit card.:laugh: Wasn't even in the hospital overnight & racked up like > $10,000US in charges (again, fortunately I was covered via work extended healthcare plan).

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I experienced top notch service from a US hospital (the unfortunate one time I was a "patient" while I was on vacation there). *ZERO* waiting time (after they took my credit card & put a temporary big charge/hold on X amount of dollars :laugh:). Got my own room withcable TV. As long as you are covered, one should have zero issues.

*****PLEASE NOTE*****

*****NEVER, NEVER go on vacation outside the country without adequate extended health coverage either your own coverage or via work*****

My short ambulance ride to the hospital from the airport was $1500US alone (and this was about a decade ago so I'd imagine it would cost more today). At least I got the money back from my employer (or rather via health care plan) and got reward points from use of credit card.:laugh: Wasn't even in the hospital overnight & racked up like > $10,000US in charges (again, fortunately I was covered via work extended healthcare plan).

My mind was blown when I found out that Americans have to pay for child birth.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
My mind was blown when I found out that Americans have to pay for child birth.
Plus they get like 3 months maternity leave.

I had a customer contact in Atl, Ga who said she was going to have a baby soon. I recall contacting that company like 4 months or so later and was shocked she replied back. I was afraid to say anything, so I asked how she was doing and if everything was ok. Was relieved when she replied all is good and baby is doing well.

I was like, did you say you were going on mat leave after she said the baby was fine. She said, she just returned and I was like, we get 12 months in Canada and were planning on extending it to 18 months.

Reactions: Vector

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019

I had a customer contact in Atl, Ga who said she was going to have a baby soon. I recall contacting that company like 4 months or so later and was shocked she replied back. I was afraid to say anything, so I asked how she was doing and if everything was ok. Was relieved when she replied all is good and baby is doing well.

I was like, did you say you were going on mat leave after she said the baby was fine. She said, she just returned and I was like, we get 12 months in Canada and were planning on extending it to 18 months.
It's not mat. leave in the way that Canadians might understand it. Your employer pays you nothing and 3 months means a 3-month period in which they cannot actively try to hire someone to replace you. That's American mat. leave.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
How late do private hospitals open until? Says he arrived at 9:40pm local time.

Those private ones are more elective stuff or move you up the line in terms of scheduling surgery. But, if you need help from 6pm onwards, probably have to go to a regular hospital.

It's a hospital. It should be open 24/7? There should be beds and overnight care and such?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
If you can't pay a short-term hospital bill or are living paycheque to paycheque and can't take time off, you probably aren't ready to have a kid.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Ya I have a friend go back to work sooner than 3 months. Seems crazy to me. On the other hand there are people who "abuse" the process. Like people would literally find a job just to be eligible for maternity leave. Rinse and repeat. Guess they worked for it though.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It's a hospital. It should be open 24/7? There should be beds and overnight care and such?
Guess I can't wrap my head around for profit hospital.
Not sure why I was thinking they were only for surgeries to allow those with the money to get it done earlier.

Are private hospitals exactly like regular ones except with the for profit model? They take in patients 24/7? If so, that's where the player should have been taken.

Figured each NHL team has their go to hospital. So whether you are in Chi, Dal, Bos, Cbs, wherever, both teams send their players to that one.

Ya I have a friend go back to work sooner than 3 months. Seems crazy to me. On the other hand there are people who "abuse" the process. Like people would literally find a job just to be eligible for maternity leave. Rinse and repeat. Guess they worked for it though.
mat leave in Canada, is basically EI. So, based on your prior year of work.

I had a co-worker that got laid off when she was due to return off maternity cause we never hired a temp to replace her HR duties and were downsizing, so hopefully they informed her with 8-10 weeks left in her mat leave so that she could prepare her resume and begin the job search as soon as possible. Think we all knew that the company was not going to bring her back given that her duties were divided up among various people.

Last edited:

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria

*****PLEASE NOTE*****

Jesus you didn't even make it outside the airport? But in seriousness glad you're okay

Reactions: Hit the post

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
My ‘that country is f***ed’ moment was finding out that it’s the only country in the world without any guaranteed vacation leave.
Between vacation, mat leave, sick leave, etc. it's really kind of crazy how little workers get.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Guess I can't wrap my head around for profit hospital.
Not sure why I was thinking they were only for surgeries to allow those with the money to get it done earlier.

Are private hospitals exactly like regular ones except with the for profit model? They take in patients 24/7? If so, that's where the player should have been taken.

Figured each NHL team has their go to hospital. So whether you are in Chi, Dal, Bos, Cbs, wherever, both teams send their players to that one.

I heard in Asia there are luxury full-service hospitals/clinics. Like if you're having a baby you can go in a month early and also have post natal care. 5 star experience. Nothing like here where you get kicked out. So I always think something like that would be available in a big city like Dallas.

mat leave in Canada, is basically EI. So, based on your prior year of work.
Ya I know. I was just saying that some people abuse it by really just working enough to be eligible for maternity leave.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
No he isn't.

Pearson appeared to suffer the injury when he took a shot off his left hand.

Pearson missed all but 14 games last season with the Vancouver Canucks after suffering another an injury to the same hand in a game against the Canadiens. He had three surgeries for the injury.

He's since been placed on IR.
Jesus 3 more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad