Around the League the First: Government Shutdown Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Yeah no **** it wasn't likely at the time. That's why I use reasoning about the road ahead with Eric likely picking his game up and having a **** easy schedule the rest of the way. I was predicting that it would change, and so far I look objectively right by any measure.

Maybe I don't understand how this whole "I told you so" thing works, but shouldn't what you said be coming true before saying "I told you so"? I mean the Canes were 1 point out of a playoff spot when you said that and as of now they are 3 points out of a playoff spot. :sarcasm:

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Yesterday, I learned that a "revenge" post is one that bumps someone else's old post/thread and shows that it was wrong. And that is bad board behavior, apparently.

Doesn't bringing up your own post and stating that you were right and everyone else was wrong ostensibly do the exact same thing? (even if you are wildly incorrect in your assessment)

Clearly I'm not understanding this revenge post thing.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
Maybe I don't understand how this whole "I told you so" thing works, but shouldn't what you said be coming true before saying "I told you so"? I mean the Canes were 1 point out of a playoff spot when you said that and as of now they are 3 points out of a playoff spot. :sarcasm:

Fair point. I've just got a good feeling about this year ;)

I could back my assertion that we're underperforming and due to have our luck turn using fancy numbers and statistics but that probably wouldn't go over well here so I'll just let the team's performance do the talking.

If I'm wrong, whatever. Wouldn't be the first time.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Historically, when ISN'T this team underperforming? :laugh:

I don't think anyone will deny that that's happening. The issue is the belief that they'll turn it around in time to make the playoffs. They might turn it around, but historically, it's rarely been in time to earn a playoff spot.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Rangers and Jackets in OT, Islanders blowing out the Stars.

4 wins and no progress :laugh:

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
The good news is that we are only 2 points out of a wild card spot as well, which I didn't think was going to be realistically possible before.

The day after we lost to Toronto, we were 8 points behind them for the last wildcard spot. I'll take a 6 point difference in the standings over a week.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Leafs vs. Islanders tonight.

We're close to the Leafs for a Wildcard spot, but the Islanders are playing really well lately and are quickly closing the gap behind us.

Which benefits us the most?

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Just based on how the two teams have played of late, it's probably better for the Leafs to win. It puts us a little further from the wildcard spot, but they're very up and down (trending down) at the moment. The Islanders, on the other hand, have won 5 of their past 6 and Tavares looks like he's starting to take over.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
I like how you answered your own question.

To me, it's way too early to begin scoreboard watching that closely. Teams are going to play each other a lot, and games like this will happen a lot. Obviously cheer for St. Louis to beat Washington, etc, but determining who you'd rather see win between Philadelphia and New Jersey seems to just lead to frustrations. There's still a lot to be decided.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
So it's too early to be scoreboard watching, but a couple weeks ago, we couldn't criticize the team's play against Edmonton and Calgary because "they're in a playoff spot!" (or X points away from a playoff spot, I don't remember).

It's never too early to be scoreboard watching. These games are just as important as the games in March/April. Especially if they're going to be 3 point games, like last night's Rangers/Jackets one.

Speaking of which, why the hell can no one in this league hold a 2-goal lead in the third anymore?

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
You want the Islanders to win. No doubt in my mind.

Agreed. Stay as close as possible to both the top three spots in the division and in the wildcard positions.

Besides, the Islanders are eight points back with one extra game played before tonight's game. I know that doesn't mean too much in this ****** division we're in, but it counts for something.:laugh:

Elsker

Jul 3, 2008
Downtown Raleigh
From the movie Gumball Rally, as the ringer Italian driver was ripping off the rear view mirror and tossing it over his shoulder:

"And now, my friend, the first-a rule of Italian driving: What's-a behind me doesn't matter."

You want to narrow the gap to any team ahead of you and just not worry about who is chasing you. Let 'em try and catch you. And, in the meantime, just win, baby.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Tim Gleason -2 and a loss in his first game. Gleason has now played 18 games this season and his team has won 2.

I didn't watch a lot of the game, but both of those goals against don't seem to be his fault. Both were long shots with the player skating into the zone that Bernier completely flubbed. Not much he could have done on those.

This is the type of night Bernier had:

[NHL]2013020648-285-ingame-h[/NHL]

:laugh:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad