Post-Series Talk: Carolina Hurricanes defeat the New York Islanders, 4-1

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
It's a rough game.
Slashes to the hand/wrist don’t need to be part of the game though. Slash the stick. Slashing up high by the hands is dumb and it’s not exactly shocking when someone gets injured by it just because it doesn’t happen every single time.

Just like the slashes that Nelson was giving Guentzel on the ENG in game 2. It’s stupid and even if you aren’t attempting to specifically injure you’re doing something that is dumb that can easily lead to an injury

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Slashes to the hand/wrist don’t need to be part of the game though. Slash the stick. Slashing up high by the hands is dumb and it’s not exactly shocking when someone gets injured by it just because it doesn’t happen every single time.

Just like the slashes that Nelson was giving Guentzel on the ENG in game 2. It’s stupid and even if you aren’t attempting to specifically injure you’re doing something that is dumb that can easily lead to an injury
The game is played on the edge. Especially in the playoffs. Stick checking is part of the game. Sometimes hands get slashed. So it goes. That's why you wear heavily padded gloves.

I will add that what Nelson did on that ENG is NOT what I'm talking about. That was embarrassing and idiotic. Still wondering what that was all about. Maybe I'll ask them in the summer when I see them at Da Beauty League. :) Wonder if they will be teammates again.

Throwing around hacks and slashes like that adds nothing to the product
I'll let you worry about "the product." I'll enjoy the intensity of the playoffs.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I've been watching hockey for 50 years now and I have to admit that this is the first time I've ever seen little slashes to opposing players, and worse yet they weren't even called. And it's the playoffs! I've also seen players do these cross-check things to other players, sometimes a few in rapid succession. Again, mostly not called, however some randomly are called. I'm going to start tracking this to see if it becomes a pattern!

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I'll let you worry about "the product." I'll enjoy the intensity of the playoffs.

Problem is, this accumulates over 4 rounds and by the time you get to the finals both teams are so banged up it makes the hockey shit. And for what? So a bunch of scrubs like the Islanders can feel a bit better about themselves after getting buzzsawed by the Canes yet again?

No one goes to hockey games to watch scrubs endlessly slash stars

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Problem is, this accumulates over 4 rounds and by the time you get to the finals both teams are so banged up it makes the hockey shit. And for what? So a bunch of scrubs like the Islanders can feel a bit better about themselves after getting buzzsawed by the Canes yet again?

No one goes to hockey games to watch scrubs endlessly slash stars
You think the Stanley Cup finals are shit hockey? Hmm. OK. Engvall didn't slash DeAngelo out of frustration because his team was losing and wanted to feel better about himself. It was in the heat of battle going for a puck. Which, considering how much Engvall tries to avoid contact, is pretty remarkable. lol

Also, if anyone is a scrub in this equation it's Tony "Cement Head" DeAngelo. What a dumb ass. Not shedding any tears over him, that's for sure.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
The game is played on the edge. Especially in the playoffs. Stick checking is part of the game. Sometimes hands get slashed. So it goes. That's why you wear heavily padded gloves.

I will add that what Nelson did on that ENG is NOT what I'm talking about. That was embarrassing and idiotic. Still wondering what that was all about. Maybe I'll ask them in the summer when I see them at Da Beauty League. :) Wonder if they will be teammates again.

I’m saying when you stick check players up high near the hands bad things like broken wrists or fractures can happen. That’s not playing with an edge that’s doing stupid things that can cause injuries for no reason. Slash the middle or the bottom of the stick. The idea of doing it is to separate the player from the puck not their hand from their arm.

Do you really think the Canes gloves are less protective than what everyone else is using? What an insane theory. It’s like cross checking someone in the back not ‘super hard’ but just playing with an edge. Maybe one time you do it and it leads to a guy injuring his back. I guess the solution is to have the player wear a mattress on his back, not to get players to stop cross checking which isn’t a hockey play. It’s a penalty.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Isles are dirty as hell. 2nd year in a row they break the arm or hand of a Canes player with a slash. Of course, neither time it was called.

But please tell us again how awful the Canes are for reacting to these slashes, bunch of putzes
Svechtwohander is a boy scout?

Reactions: Konk

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I’m saying when you stick check players up high near the hands bad things like broken wrists or fractures can happen. That’s not playing with an edge that’s doing stupid things that can cause injuries for no reason. Slash the middle or the bottom of the stick. The idea of doing it is to separate the player from the puck not their hand from their arm.

Do you really think the Canes gloves are less protective than what everyone else is using? What an insane theory. It’s like cross checking someone in the back not ‘super hard’ but just playing with an edge. Maybe one time you do it and it leads to a guy injuring his back. I guess the solution is to have the player wear a mattress on his back, not to get players to stop cross checking which isn’t a hockey play. It’s a penalty.
Huh? No I don't think that. Why would you assume that?

Cross checks in the back and slashes to the hands happen all the f***ing time. Especially in the playoffs. Have you just started watching this year? JFC. Maybe it's true what they say about Canes fans not really understanding the game. Adios.

Reactions: Konk

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Canes hit about a dozen posts/cross-bars in the series. Isles were lucky to get to game 5.

Canes fans fully understand why Ranger fans didn't want to play the Isles given Isles players propensity to wantonly use their sticks.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Huh. No I don't think that. Why would you assume that?

Cross checks in the back and slashes to the hands happen all the f***ing time. Especially in the playoffs. Have you just started watching this year? JFC. Maybe it's true what they say about Canes fans not really understanding the game. Adios.
Just because they happen doesn't mean that they should. They are by definition penalties. It has become so common place and allowable by the league and referees that they couldn't possibly call it every single time it happens because then there would be penalties every 12 seconds.

Hockey is a physical sport and you have big players moving fast and playing with hard things like sticks and pucks and helmets and boards and ice. There are going to be injuries but the league should be trying to keep those to a minimum by not allowing shit like slashing hands/wrists and crosschecks. You can't say 'it's a harmless play' when it causes harm. That's one of the risks of doing that. There's no NEED to slash up high on the stick or crosscheck someone in the back, you can accomplish separating them from the puck or moving them out of the way without applying your stick to an area where you could injure them, even if it's unintentional.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
You think the Stanley Cup finals are shit hockey? Hmm. OK. Engvall didn't slash DeAngelo out of frustration because his team was losing and wanted to feel better about himself. It was in the heat of battle going for a puck. Which, considering how much Engvall tries to avoid contact, is pretty remarkable. lol

Also, if anyone is a scrub in this equation it's Tony "Cement Head" DeAngelo. What a dumb ass. Not shedding any tears over him, that's for sure.
It was such an important puck battle that he hacks TDA across the hands while ignoring the fact that the puck is literally flat on the ice two feet in front of Engvall's skates. If he wanted to win a puck battle he could have simply played the puck and not slash a guys hands.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Carolina played the islanders better despite Guentzel looking bad 5v5. I really just hope this spells the end of the line for Lamoriello trying to do nothing, and at least addressing the needs at the bottom 6, and even on defense/PK.

I will not be a bitch about this series, i'm just happy I saw some playoff games for the islanders again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad