Around the League the 13th: Deadline week

Status
Not open for further replies.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
As bad as Melynk is, and he is bad, he did IIRC save the franchise from both bankruptcy and relocation, because they were really close at one point to leaving Ottawa.

Now I'm not suggesting that Senators fans should be worshipping him for that, but it's very very likely had someone else gotten their hands on them first they would be playing somewhere in the States today, and they would have probably next to no shot at getting another franchise.

It's similar to John Spanos who despite being a total fraud, saved the NY Islanders from relocating (because they were getting close to having one foot out the door in the 90s) by signing that TV deal with what is now known as MSG Network that gave the team significant cash flow.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
So I’ll chime in here, as a SENS fan. Melnyk has no money. Everyone knows he has no money. Melnyk won’t admit he has no money. Everyone is mad that Melnyk won’t admit he has no money. Everything after that should mean nothing, but people aren’t rational and like to yell and scream and yell some more. Melnyk goes on the radio twice in two days and says stupid shit, and people are freaking out like it’s something new. It’s not.

Forgive the comparison, but it’s kind of like Trump. If after two years you’re still shocked and upset when he says something stupid, it’s kind of on you.

The problem - the only problem, as far as I’m concerned, is the stars didn’t buy in and/or trust Melnyk to execute the rebuild.

I don’t begrudge someone for clinging to an nhl franchise. Sucks for the fans...but it is what it is, and it’s only entertainment.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Minny beat Washington 2-1 in regulation.

Despite having to kill three Washington power plays vs. having only one of their own.

You know, what bugs me most about playing teams like Washington, Pittsburgh and Tampa Bay is that they seriously don't think they get preferential treatment. They seriously believe the playing field is level. And the way they bitch and moan when an official has the audacity to make a call against them. *gasp*

I can see how officials can get tired of all that and just not bother, but it's still not fair.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
That argument really doesn’t hold water when Tampa has been called for the most penalties in the league (at 306), and Washington isn’t too far behind (at 299).

And as far as being awarded power plays, Tampa is #4 at 244, while Washington is #14 at 221. Carolina is #8 at 232.

Fun fact: The Leafs have been called for the least amount of penalties, but also have been awarded the 2nd least amount.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
That argument really doesn’t hold water when Tampa has been called for the most penalties in the league (at 306), and Washington isn’t too far behind (at 299).

And as far as being awarded power plays, Tampa is #4 at 244, while Washington is #14 at 221. Carolina is #8 at 232.

Fun fact: The Leafs have been called for the least amount of penalties, but also have been awarded the 2nd least amount.
Don't forget that Pittsburgh is #23 at 209 PP opportunities. But narratives!

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Ok, I’m sorry for barging in about a former cane player, but apparently Ryan hasn’t allowed a 5 on 5 goal against since the all star break.

He’s looking good. Did more on that top line than Monahan over the past month.
I'm glad he's doing well. I don't harbor any ill will when it comes to Ryan. I have an autographed puck from guessing correctly that he'd score the first goal of the game in his first game. He is a great story. At the same time, I don't think any of us have missed him for a second, nor will we.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Ok, I’m sorry for barging in about a former cane player, but apparently Ryan hasn’t allowed a 5 on 5 goal against since the all star break.

He’s looking good. Did more on that top line than Monahan over the past month.
Ryan is a good 3rd liner. It's just that Peters tried to make him more than that at times here. But luckily Calgary has more high end options, so Peters doesn't have to ram the square peg into a round hole there.

Glad it's working out for him there, he's a really good dude with a great story.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
As bad as Melynk is, and he is bad, he did IIRC save the franchise from both bankruptcy and relocation, because they were really close at one point to leaving Ottawa.

Now I'm not suggesting that Senators fans should be worshipping him for that, but it's very very likely had someone else gotten their hands on them first they would be playing somewhere in the States today, and they would have probably next to no shot at getting another franchise.

It's similar to John Spanos who despite being a total fraud, saved the NY Islanders from relocating (because they were getting close to having one foot out the door in the 90s) by signing that TV deal with what is now known as MSG Network that gave the team significant cash flow.

I don't understand how it'd be possible for Canada's main sport to leave the capital of the country. I mean wouldn't that demoralize the entire country? Wouldn't the NHL step in and save it or something?

Reactions: Unsustainable

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I don't understand how it'd be possible for Canada's main sport to leave the capital of the country. I mean wouldn't that demoralize the entire country? Wouldn't the NHL step in and save it or something?
It’s a fickle market. Combination of fairly cheap and lack of corporate support (the biggest “customer” in Ottawa should be the federal government but there are rules they prevent that).

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario

A lot of people don’t really care about Ottawa as a city despite it being the capital. Always seems to be an afterthought compared to other major Canadian cities.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Canes, for the most part, used the offseason to give up a lot but also gain a lot. Yes, I wish that Lindholm wasn’t traded knowing how good he is now, but I think that he was easily worth at least 3 years of Dougie value-wise. Could care less about Hanifin and Ryan considering that CDH and Martinook fit our team better IMO. If not for the Nino miracle, I would’ve said that our worst move was not trading Rask for a 2nd (as rumored) and dealing Skinner instead. Thankfully, a rookie GM made a rookie move to our benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad