Around the League the 13th: Deadline week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Suckbotka makes Ryan look like Crosby. You have no idea just how bad he sucks, despite being our 4th most used forward he went 45 games without a goal. And our power play being an embarrassing disorganized and poorly coached mess has done wonders to suppress Jeff's scoring numbers.
The ROR trade is so incredibly bad. It was bad when it was made and obviously looks even worse in hindsight.

Run-of-the-mill extremely replaceable players in Sobotka and Berglund, a meh prospect in Thompson, and what is now going to be a late-ish 1st along with a 2nd round pick in 2 years. Sabres really need to hit on those draft picks.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
The bad part of the trade is if it were for Skinner + it would be have been a much better trade for all parties.
Mostly for us, not so much for Buffalo. They still got a 1st round pick and a former 1st round pick in the ROR trade. Doubt they would have got Skinner, a 1st and a similar prospect from us for ROR, which might have made it slightly better for them depending on the prospect and where our pick landed. But I doubt that would have been on the table for ROR. Maybe Skinner and a 1st or Skinner, Kuokkanen/Saarela and a 2nd.

Reactions: zman77

Primetime8

Oct 10, 2014
Columbia, SC
I posted on November of 2017 in this thread "Canes wingers are, at best, below average in their own zone. It's a problem that doesn't get talked about enough".

That's a big difference between this year and last year. Skinner makes great stick plays but falls asleep and cherry picks towards the blue line way too much for my liking. An example being the play he just let Faulk skate right into the slot and snipe the last time these 2 teams played. Once the unsustainable shooting percentage of over 20% dropped it was back to the regular Skinner.

I was ticked at the trade when it happened, but it really was addition by subtraction. I think we will be looking at the same with Faulk next year. Like Skinner, I've defended Faulk a lot over the past 2-3 seasons but I really think we can just trade him for futures, put Pesce back on the right side, and call up Bean.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Outstanding move at high speed!
Warren Foegele's goal matches up pretty well with this one.

Reactions: Tryamw

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
Suckbotka makes Ryan look like Crosby. You have no idea just how bad he sucks, despite being our 4th most used forward he went 45 games without a goal. And our power play being an embarrassing disorganized and poorly coached mess has done wonders to suppress Jeff's scoring numbers.
skinner's been garbage on the powerplay his whole career lol. he can't make simple plays and constantly turns the puck over

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008

I say the same thing to the regulars on our board, but I don't get how poor power plays are always blamed on coaching. I mean, these guys have been playing on power plays since they were 13-years-old. And all power plays at this level are basically the same. IMO, the only job of coaches on the power play is personnel management. I mean, what exactly is a coach going to do if PP1 is moving the puck too slowly? Tell them to move it faster? It's not an Xs and Os thing at this level, IMO.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
All you can count on is what you do for yourself. Consider it a gift when something else good happens. However, I can think of a few occasions this year where teams we wanted to lose looked to be going great, and coughed up a point or two before it's over.

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
All you can count on is what you do for yourself. Consider it a gift when something else good happens. However, I can think of a few occasions this year where teams we wanted to lose looked to be going great, and coughed up a point or two before it's over.

Very true. I was just hoping--looking at the matchups--that one of our rivals for postseason positioning would lose. But, that's why they play the game. Here's to a few colossal choke jobs tonight lol

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I thought the Jets were clearly the better team in the second period. Hayes had an easy goal with a minute left and hit the post. And you know how that goes, 20 seconds later, it was in Winnipeg's net.

Meanwhile, why is the NHL forcing the Sabres to play these final games? It's obvious they have absolutely no intention of putting in any effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad