Around the League | Reckoning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I dug a little deeper on this.

The problem with hit counts (along with many other stats) is that they can vary widely based on who is counting them. One way to correct for that is to just look at road hits.

The Canucks are very average there - 13th in the league last year, 13th in the league this year.
Assuming local bias for home team hits is fine, account for human nature. But why assume no local bias against away teams?

Reactions: Play

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Assuming local bias for home team hits is fine, account for human nature. But why assume no local bias against away teams?

Sure, and that's likely, but that bias would be spread over all the teams that visit, so the variance should be low.

What is and isn't a hit is also very subjective, and as far as I know there is no clear standard.So someone could be unbiased but still call more hits in that building than others. The home team, who plays 41 games in the building, would benefit from that. It's also true that a team may just want to throw more hits at home, because they get a response from the crowd.

What is interesting is that the league seems to be reviewing shots between periods, leading to big discrepancies that are later corrected. It's been very noticeable this season. Perhaps they'll start doing the same with all the statistical categories.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
I dug a little deeper on this.

The problem with hit counts (along with many other stats) is that they can vary widely based on who is counting them. One way to correct for that is to just look at road hits.

The Canucks are very average there - 13th in the league last year, 13th in the league this year.
this. and it's the same for what counts as as shot. always has been a problem but at least it's not as bush league today as it still was in the 80's

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Sure, and that's likely, but that bias would be spread over all the teams that visit, so the variance should be low.

What is and isn't a hit is also very subjective, and as far as I know there is no clear standard.So someone could be unbiased but still call more hits in that building than others. The home team, who plays 41 games in the building, would benefit from that. It's also true that a team may just want to throw more hits at home, because they get a response from the crowd.

What is interesting is that the league seems to be reviewing shots between periods, leading to big discrepancies that are later corrected. It's been very noticeable this season. Perhaps they'll start doing the same with all the statistical categories.
Thats fair enough. although it creates other possible (probable) problems, which you have mentioned. It dose make the situation evener.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I would give the Leafs a 0.1% chance of winning anything. They just don’t look like a serious team lol
I think they miss, too many holes and tree just isnt it. I bet they pay the 1st(+) for Tanev and still miss, or just barely make it and get blown out first round again.

Reactions: Play

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It’s a really good team with haphazard roster construction and cap allocation.

They had an opportunity to do a quality re-set this summer and instead they blew $15 million on Klingberg/Bertuzzi/Domi/Reaves. Dumb middle-6 wingers, bad-defence D, and a goon. Nobody who is reliable or plays a key position/role.

Comparatively, we spent about the same amount on Soucy/Cole/Blueger/Suter/Lafferty/DeSmith and got a whole bunch of solid system players who could log high-leverage minutes at C and D.

And the cherry on top is that Lafferty came from Toronto where they were forced to move him after paying more for worse players.

What an incredible difference in pro scouting. Treliving’s work last summer was Benning-esque.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They had an opportunity to do a quality re-set this summer and instead they blew $15 million on Klingberg/Bertuzzi/Domi/Reaves. Dumb middle-6 wingers, bad-defence D, and a goon. Nobody who is reliable or plays a key position/role.

Comparatively, we spent about the same amount on Soucy/Cole/Blueger/Suter/Lafferty/DeSmith and got a whole bunch of solid system players who could log high-leverage minutes at C and D.

And the cherry on top is that Lafferty came from Toronto where they were forced to move him after paying more for worse players.

What an incredible difference in pro scouting. Treliving’s work last summer was Benning-esque.
The fact that TO had to move a $1.15 mill cap hit is laughable...... Cause they signed a goon who doesn't fight.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Tanev’s going to Tampa tomorrow.

They’ll have the capspace to make it work.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
That increases our chances on 7/1. If he was acquired by TML, good chance he signs with them instead.
Ottawa’s telegraphing that they’ll outbid anyone on 7/1. Not saying it’s a guarantee Tanev follows the money, but if he does prioritize it, I know where he’s going

Maybe VAN deals Cole to Tampa for a 3rd instead and then uses that space for Tanev.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York

I would love to know what is going on behind the scenes with the NHL and Arizona’s ownership.

Will be very impressed if Gary and the BoG finally pull the plug on this franchise. They may be using the league bylaws to compel Mureulo to sell.

The return-to-Atlanta expansion that is being telegraphed is the same blueprint they will use to return to Phoenix eventually.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Ottawa’s telegraphing that they’ll outbid anyone on 7/1. Not saying it’s a guarantee Tanev follows the money, but if he does prioritize it, I know where he’s going

Maybe VAN deals Cole to Tampa for a 3rd instead and then uses that space for Tanev.
It's a weird situation in Ottawa that smacks more than a little bit of Benning. Import vets at a premium and mentorpede your way to contender status. It's helped along by the success they found with Giroux and perhaps trying to capture that magic once again with Tanev.

But you make a good point in that Ottawa spending like drunken sailors could be what it takes to sign Dad.

As for Cole, he's too important a piece for our defense. We would want Tanev and Cole, not either or. That would be like spinning our wheels and spending assets just to do it.

Reactions: andora

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
not intened as a criticism but i think tanev is not necessarily going to help ottawa. he plays a unique style that is hard for young guys to copy. he might compliment a young guy in a pairing but if i were them i'd be after a more conventional veteran dman.

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia

Disregard my post just moments ago. I jumped the gun.

It’s never my intention to post tweets that are fake news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad