Around the league: Playoffs II | Did I mention Calgary sucks? And also Winnipeg?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
No. Save volume looks good, but if you are failing to make the key saves, then it doesn't matter.

Especially if he is making mistakes that lead to the situations that the goals are scored on.

I've posted extensively on this throughout the Flames games in this thread.

I think it's more the defense and the transcendental play of the Avs top line that has led to most of the goals this series. Smith has made plenty of sensational key saves. If you're going to criticize ANYONE this series Smith is the last one I would criticize lol

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
See again here just before the commercial break, I guess they're not going to show it again, but Smith overplays a shot that is clearly going to miss the netand it just becomes a shitshow. His footwork is bad so he ends up in the middle of the blue flailing around again. This shouldn't be a chance but yet it almost gets banked off him again. The Avs clearly see this happening and are looking for it now.

Reactions: MS

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
To me this flames team is the perfect example of the phenomenon of a team with high skills but no intangibles. No mental toughness no ability to fight through adversity. No ability to perform under pressure. These intangibles get underrated until the playoffs when they become front and centre for everyone to see how skill alone isnt enough.

I agree. People underrate intangibles and they've become a meme after people overrated them for so long, but you cant win without them. They're not sufficient to win with on their own, but if you dont have the heart, the leadership, the ultra-hard workers, the camaraderie, you simply are not winning in an environment like the playoffs. This is one area I do think the Canucks in particular are building well in. Horvat especially seems like such a key figure to any winning team, but Brock seems to make friends with everyone on the ice too, especially all the new kids that come on.

The Sedins left such a great legacy in that regard.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
You watch how tough each round of the playoffs are and it makes me appreciate more what we did getting to game 7. A lot of good teams getting bounced in round 1. It’s a battle.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Mackinnon is ridiculous. WOW. Given McDavid’s disappointing playoffs I’m tempted to anoint him the best player in the world right now.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Mackinnon is ridiculous. WOW. Given McDavid’s disappointing playoffs I’m tempted to anoint him the best player in the world right now.

In this playoff's he's playing like it. Hard to compare when McD's team isn't on the ice, but I haven't seen all-around outright game-breaking dominance like this since peak playoff Crosby.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I dunno, I think that Landeskog is basically Monahan in that he is solid and can produce.

Then Gaudreau is trying hard but he is basically Raatanen.

Tkachuk is doing what he does but his counterpart is basically Mackinnon, who is a top player in the league.

Giordano has disappeared partly because he has to try to contain the Top-end talent of the Avs.

Then the Avs add a smooth skating phenom like Makar.

Basically the Avs have 1-3 more gamebreaking players who have skill, speed, and can play heavy.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Watching Calgary, its quite incredible how they are so bad in the playoffs.
I can't actually figure out exactly what they are missing to be honest.
Are the star forwards not tough enough as Jimbo would suggest?
Is it just bad luck and bad matchups?
Is it the flames not being to keep up with the speed of Colorado.

It really is quite perplexing, every year they go into the playoffs and I feel they are a pretender, every single time, and they are.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com

It really is quite perplexing, every year they go into the playoffs and I feel they are a pretender, every single time, and they are.

They're too much of an East West team. In the playoffs you need to play an aggressive north south game and just work through all the hooks/holds/slashes.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Peters needs to put Rittich in. They've got one period to save their season. Smith has been good but you need to do something to change the momentum.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver

The mental game in such a short series is massive. If you get into a hole it takes an unreal amount of mental strength to get back out. When everything feels like it isn't going your way it's very easy for that to become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Momentum is real and it takes a lot to overcome it - namely savvy coaching and the intangibles talked about earlier. The Flames dont have it.

Also, the Avs top line is playing probably the best hockey I've ever seen in my life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad