Around the league: Playoffs II | Did I mention Calgary sucks? And also Winnipeg?

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Vitali Kravtsov, 9th overall pick of the New York Rangers last year, was born in Vladivostok, Russia. Does this make him the highest drafted Asian born playe?

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Well isn’t it a foregone conclusion that the NBA championship is Golden State’s to lose?

Yup. But they still pull in records ratings because they lost the Finals in 2016 after going 73-9, which is why we watch sports. Everyone wants to see GSW lose, so every series they're in (after this first round) will be interesting with compelling story lines on how an upset could occur.

Nobody wants the NBA equivalent of a Columbus-Winnipeg final (Denver-Orlando). It's just significantly more likely in one sport than the other.

Reactions: cookiefest

duplo

prince kasspian
Nov 4, 2010
Vancouver
You know Benning will read into every bad takeaway possible with this Tampa/Columbus series. Every year he moves the goalposts on what a Stanley Cup winner looks like based on who won and how they did it. The Canucks gameplan then changes each offseason and we're left in the directionless mess we're in now. Our lineup has no intent outside of our core-4 ponies as a result.

Despite Columbus also having speed and skill, he'll hone-in on an talented Tampa Bay team not being able to get it done in the post-season where the "whistles go away" and the game "gets more physical". For our sake, I hope Tampa Bay can come back.

FuzzyTitus

Dec 17, 2008
Mike Sullivan and Tortz must have been the issues with this team in the past. Thank goodness both were let go.

Reactions: Dab

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
Yup. But they still pull in records ratings because they lost the Finals in 2016 after going 73-9, which is why we watch sports. Everyone wants to see GSW lose, so every series they're in (after this first round) will be interesting with compelling story lines on how an upset could occur.

Nobody wants the NBA equivalent of a Columbus-Winnipeg final (Denver-Orlando). It's just significantly more likely in one sport than the other.

It's not a forgone conclusion the Warriors win. They were a Chris Paul injury away from missing the finals last year and this team is the most vulnerable the GS has ever looked. Cousins hasn't gelled at all and is looking like a complete defensive liability, Green has taken a major step back offensively and slight one defensively, Iguodala has gotten a year older, Thompson is shooting worse, the bench is worse, theirs locker room discontent and their stars have alot of mileage on their bodies.

Both their biggest their threats in the Bucks and Raptors have home court advantage and have swept the season series. The Bucks have been utterly dominant this year and by all metrics and stats are better then the Warriors. The Raptors are not as good, but have the personal defensively that will be able to stop GS defensively. Don't count out the Rockets either; Theyve been looking like the Rockets of last year and a second round matchup is better for them as it means Harden has less of a chance of getting fatigued (arguably why they lost last year)

Back to hockey, TB D looks awful. They aren't moving the puck up in a timely matter which allows Torts to execute his neutral zone trap which creates turnovers or forces their forwards to play a dump and chase game they aren't well equipped to play against the Bluejackets puck moving D. Tampa getting swept would be embarrassing for the NHL, but losing in a close series (which I think Tampa can do) would not really be that surprising. The Bluejackets would be like the 5th best team in the west and they have underachieved heavily this year. A Jones, Werenski, Bobs, PLD, Panarin, Atkitson, Ducheane core shouldn't finish 2 points above 9th

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I haven't watched much playoff hockey this year (been out of town), but one thing I still despise is how the refereeing changes in the playoffs. The old adage of "let the players decide the game" is absolutely ridiculous, not calling penalties impacts the final outcome far more than anything else.

I swear hockey is the one sport that promotes neutering their best, most exciting players in the playoffs.

Agree but still better than basketball refs.

Dissonance Jr

Oct 6, 2017
Vitali Kravtsov, 9th overall pick of the New York Rangers last year, was born in Vladivostok, Russia. Does this make him the highest drafted Asian born playe?

Alexander Svitov (3rd overall in 2001) is from Omsk, on the Asian side of Russia, so he probably takes this.

Although Malkin’s hometown of Magnitogorsk straddles the Eurasian border so if you really want to get technical, it’d depend where exactly he was born!

Last edited:
Reactions: y2kcanucks

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Blue Jackets look plenty skilled to me... like watching a different sport compared to the Canucks...

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
I'm far from a Leafs fan but if I was one I'd think the Kadri suspension is crap, if you're suspending him Debrusk should also be suspended. Makes no sense. :huh:

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Wonder if we can sign Dzingel
He just had a career year of 56 pts in 78 games with two teams
41 pts in 17-18 so it’s not a total fluke
27 years old already so he’s probably looking for term.
It’s probably cost us 7 years at 5.5~6 AVV
But consider our lack of depth on the left side, I will do it if we can get rid of Eriksson first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad