Around the League playoff edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
For the Habs, that's a good deal. He's only 27 and will provide them with grit as well. I watch almost all the Canes games and saw how what a good and reliable defender he was. and was a key part of PK work, logging lots of minutes. Used correctliy, partnered with Petry on the 2nd pairing, he'll be a good fit.
THey gambled on Chariot, who has been far better in Montreal than he was in Winnipeg.

I watched a ton of Canes games as well. I think he was correctly slotted in that 3rd pairing, but Carolina also had a ton of depth. He was fantastic on the pk as well.

I'm ok with him being an anchor on a 3rd pairing, but not on the Kings. If Montreal wants to take that risk for 4 years on a 2nd pairing, which they have, then good for them.

For us and where we are, I would have been ok with 2-3 years, but if that Kovalchuk contract taught us anything...

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
We'll soon have the talent to get a power play as good as Tampa's.
choose-hatching-eggs.jpg

Reactions: lumbergh

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA

The NHL and NHLPA are tossing ideas around, one was for the Canadian teams to be in their own division, and play all their games in Canada, and the remaining US teams, divided regionally, and play their games interdivisoin, with bubble returning for the playoffs.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Kukla's Korner Hockey - Kukla's Korner

EDMONTON (Sept. 18, 2020) – The National Hockey League announced today that it will reveal the winners of its five remaining regular-season trophies during “2020 NHL Awards presented by Las Vegas,” a 30-minute show that will air at 6:30 p.m. ET on Monday, Sept. 21, on NBCSN in the U.S. as well as Sportsnet and TVA Sports in Canada.

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC

Adding on to deeshamrock’s twitter post:

Given the gloomy financial outlook of the upcoming season (limited or no fans in the buildings), the NHL is going to have to look for additional revenue streams. While the upcoming US TV deals could provide a nice influx of money, that won’t occur until after next season. But who knows if ESPN would even put in a bid on NHL broadcast rights. Disney is bleeding serious money, ESPN is getting hammered by cord cutters and the overall economy could be lining up for a serious downturn.

It might finally be time to allow sponsors on jerseys. I’m not saying to follow the Sweden/Finland/Russia model, where players are covered head to toe with sponsorship, but allowing a major and minor patch on the jersey and/or helmet might be warranted.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Adding on to deeshamrock’s twitter post:

Given the gloomy financial outlook of the upcoming season (limited or no fans in the buildings), the NHL is going to have to look for additional revenue streams. While the upcoming US TV deals could provide a nice influx of money, that won’t occur until after next season. But who knows if ESPN would even put in a bid on NHL broadcast rights. Disney is bleeding serious money, ESPN is getting hammered by cord cutters and the overall economy could be lining up for a serious downturn.

It might finally be time to allow sponsors on jerseys. I’m not saying to follow the Sweden/Finland/Russia model, where players are covered head to toe with sponsorship, but allowing a major and minor patch on the jersey and/or helmet might be warranted.

Maybe the NHL should do something out of the norm and look to Roku to be on several of their channels for one season?

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Yeah, you go deep in the playoffs, and you inevitably get that extra goal that you don't usually get, or get that one extra save that keeps a game within reach. Get enough of that, and you win the whole thing.

Oleksiak scored 5 goals in a regular season once, and that was in 68 games. He's never scored 5 goals for a single team in any regular season. He now has 5 goals in 22 games in the playoffs. He's almost doubled his 19-20 regular season production. Kiviranta had 1 goal in 11 games this year. He had 12 goals in 48 AHL games. He now has 5 goals. You know who else had 12 goals in 56 AHL games this year? Mikey Eyssimont, and he was actually drafted.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I can't believe Dallas is 3 games away from the Stanley Cup.

Dallas going to the cup finals, and possibly winning it, is more far-fetched than the Kings making the playoffs next season.

There's so much parity in this league now that's it generated a lot of randomness. Luck is a bigger factor than ever. I'm not sure that's a good thing.

Reactions: KINGS17
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad