Around the League Part XII: Stanley Cup Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
With salaries going up as a whole $9M is pretty fair for a top D in the league.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Just think how much money Karlsson is going to demand when his contract is up.

Melnyk better be ready to pony up the cash that will be required to pay him.

FireMelnyk

Jun 3, 2006
Yeah, fur sure. Considering we have him locked up for 5 more season I wouldn't worry too much about it now.

With the cap going up 5M / year the floor will be > 75M when that time comes so Melnyk will either have sold the team or be ready to pay.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
He makes more than Weber, Pietrangelo, Karlsson, Doughty and Suter. What the actual eff?
revenue is going up so players who sign today will make more than players signed yesterday

i'd be much more worried about long deals because if a player starts declining, which is unpredictable, it's a massive anchor for a team

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
revenue is going up so players who sign today will make more than players signed yesterday

i'd be much more worried about long deals because if a player starts declining, which is unpredictable, it's a massive anchor for a team

Revenue is going up because of TV deals. What happens when people stop paying for cable services like they stopped paying for movie rentals, going to the cinema or well... cable services. This is the last frontier for cable companies. The only reason to have a cable package is sports. Alternatives are out there and consumers will eventually wise up. Its time for people to overthrow Bell and Rogers in this country. Their ridiculous business tactics are bleeding into the league now. This is unsustainable.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
9M per is ok if you look at it long term. Well unless there is a lockout/strike and the cap goes down before that.

What I don't get is why go through the arbitration process? But I guess Bergevin caved.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I think the Subban is an overpayment right now, but it will probably look a lot better in 3-4 years. It is nice for Montreal to not have to worry about contract stuff with him for a very long while.

I have a funny feeling he'll be demanding a trade in a year or two anyways. Nothing good comes from arbitration.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Assuming he stays at the top of his game the entire contract... I think that'll be a reasonable deal for the last couple years, and an overpayment for the first 5 or 6...

Unless he's the crack in the dam, I don't see too many defenseman getting a contract like that any time soon.

We Want the Cup 2010

Jun 16, 2009
Well done habs, that's how you negotiate!!! Piss off your fans and the player... then finish it off by caving and paying top dollar! :laugh:

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I understand inflation and the cap going up, but the fact he is paid more than Crosby is baffling.

Crosby has a pre-lockout contract though.

Take out his last years that are only there to circumvent and his cap hit is 10.6mil.

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
Well done habs, that's how you negotiate!!! Piss off your fans and the player... then finish it off by caving and paying top dollar! :laugh:

Actually, both Subban and Bergevin respect each other and made that very clear. Subban even went onto local radio and told fans to calm down. I think it's more of a case of fans blowing this up way worse than what it actually was behind closed doors.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Crosby has a pre-lockout contract though.

He's also getting paid more than any other defenseman by more than 1.5M/yr... Including ones who negotiated contracts in the last season or two as UFAs.

When's the current CBA expire? I'm calling this signing as the point that starts us down the path to another lockout.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Actually, both Subban and Bergevin respect each other and made that very clear. Subban even went onto local radio and told fans to calm down. I think it's more of a case of fans blowing this up way worse than what it actually was behind closed doors.

Nah, there's still bad blood. You can see it in PK's eyes.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Nah, there's still bad blood. You can see it in PK's eyes.

Yep, guaranteed. These pro athletes are competitive guys, and knowing Montreal has played hardball for a few seasons in a row and jerked him around in arbitration....no way the relationship is healthy.

Just watch, PK will demand a trade, and that no-movement clause will allow him to go to HIS team of choice.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
He's also getting paid more than any other defenseman by more than 1.5M/yr... Including ones who negotiated contracts in the last season or two as UFAs.

When's the current CBA expire? I'm calling this signing as the point that starts us down the path to another lockout.

He's getting paid for more then his on ice. He's the biggest name in Quebec.

I expect a lockout every time a CBA expires. Its gonna keep happening as long players have huge leverage in contract negotiations. I think the UFA age needs to be increased.

Last edited:

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
I'm happy Montreal just made a huge mistake, Subban as reach he's full potential right now, its all downhill from now. And there's a good chance the cap dropping in the next couple of year, no more tv contract coming in. Its a huge gamble for Montreal to sign him for that long and much money, PK better be damn good and I mean Norris trophy good for that contract to make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad