Around the League Part XII: Stanley Cup Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Is anyone besides me sort of happy that the Habs management is extremely screwing up when it comes to Subban?

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
Is anyone besides me sort of happy that the Habs management is extremely screwing up when it comes to Subban?

I'm happy whenever anything goes badly for the Habs.

I also like fueling the fire for Leafs fans that he's only doing this to get a short term contract and bolt to TO in 2 years with Stamkos

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
None of the insiders are convinced things are going very well between Subban and Montreal

I wasn't thinking things could go south but I'm not of that mind anymore

FireMelnyk

Jun 3, 2006
i wonder if the arbitration award will be closer to Subban's side or the Habs' side.

Subban would need to be paid 7.95M per year on a 5 year deal to match Karlsson's deal. Once you factor in the deferred salary and cap increase I could see him getting 8.5M.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Yeah, no matter what happens now, Subban is getting the hell out of there ASAP. And, I seriously doubt that daddy still has a major allegiance to the Habs after what they've been doing to his son.

At least the Sens aren't the biggest screwup of the summer anymore. :vhappy:

Karlsson2Turris*

The way Bergevin has treated Subban is ridiculous. If we had done that with Karlsson everyone would be ridiculing us and calling us a joke of a franchise.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Subban is very inconsistent as a player and that's why Montreal is playing hardball

He wasn't much of a factor against Tampa, was out of this world against Boston and was pretty bad against the Rangers; his regular season was very up-and-down as well.

His highs are incredible and his lows aren't that bad but if he wants a long term, high paying deal he's got ways to go in terms of what he needs to prove to Montreal

It's going to be an interesting weekend

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
You know what's really great? Montreal is going to get seriously bent over when they trade Subban. He's only going to be on a 1-year contract, and then a UFA, so teams aren't going to throw huge offers Montreal's way.

sens2k9

Aug 8, 2008
You know what's really great? Montreal is going to get seriously bent over when they trade Subban. He's only going to be on a 1-year contract, and then a UFA, so teams aren't going to throw huge offers Montreal's way.

I doubt this. Subban's worth every penny he asks for. Montreal has no excuse not to spend to the cap. Pay the man his money! He won the Norris - whether you agree or disagree with his style of play. He's consistently their best player on the ice. He's young. He has no history of injury. They lowballed him last time and gave him a "show me you're worth it" contract.
People complain that he's not worth 8+ million.. you all realize the max contract in the NHL today is approx $14mil/year? The money is there.

He showed them he's worth it, and they still don't want to pay him?

Deep down we all love that he's likely signing a short term deal and bolting when he's eligible for free agency... but there's no way he goes anywhere but Toronto when that happens. I don't know why, but he's the one guy that I think would actually want to play there in his prime - and we know Toronto has no problems with overspending.

Senafan

May 17, 2013
Habs board is at DEFCON 1, especially considering it's summer and just hitting the end of the Quebec construction holiday / long weekend in most of rest of Canada.

I see it's spilled over to the Trades board. The crazed trade proposals to Edmonton have begun.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
AFAIK, there aren't any.

At least, a cursory glance at the CBA doesn't reveal any, to my eyes.

I thought at least in the old CBA there was something about a team not being able to trade the player for a year in arbitration awards, but could be confusing things.

I honestly can't see Subban being awarded much higher than 7 considering he's still an RFA, and the only 7M+ contracts for defenseman are all long term deals that were signed either as a UFA or an RFA that goes into UFA years.

Plus he wasn't top 3 Norris this year, and his one Norris came from a half season with no real healthy competition.

He really should be in the 6.5-7 range especially for a short deal, I could see going 7.5 if it was max length.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Well it seems like the Habs and Subban have reached an agreement according to Mckenzie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad