Around the League Part 8: Welcome to the league Vegas, and Duchene discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
He might be the prefect guy if Dundon feels the team needs a large amount of turnover(s).

Gosh.

The special position of the praetorians made them a power in their own right in the Roman state, and their prefect, the praefectus praetorio, soon became one of the more powerful men in this society. The emperors tried to flatter and control the praetorians, but they staged many coups d'état and contributed to a rapid rate of turnover in the imperial succession.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Maybe, but TD is the guy that made up the position "President of Hockey Operations".

Ha! That was my first thought when it was announced, too! Then by coincidence, I was looking up Brian Burke's career to check out the circumstances of his arrival and departure from Hartford and noticed that he's currently President of Hockey Operations for the Calgary Flames!

CALGARY FLAMES EXECUTIVE

John Davidson holds the same title for the Columbus Blue Jackets: Staff Directory

Peter Chiarelli holds the GM and President of Hockey Operations titles in Edmonton, so I suspect it's possible when he gets "fired" this offseason that he gets the Francis treatment and remains as PoHO only.

The one common thread is that I can't figure out what the job description really is for Francis, Burke and Davidson. They seem to be mostly figureheads with no real power.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I think in Francis's case, it definitely a figurehead position. Dundon probably realized that he still has to pay Francis for another year AND that he was a Whaler/Hurricane Legend so wanted to try and limit some of the potential backlash by giving him a soft landing.

I'll be surprised if Francis is still with the organization once his contract runs out after next season, and wouldn't surprise me if it's even sooner.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
The one common thread is that I can't figure out what the job description really is for Francis, Burke and Davidson. They seem to be mostly figureheads with no real power.

Tarheel explained this last week. The executive chain of command is: Ownership --> President---> President of Hockey Ops = COO ---> General Manager

The President is in charge of the whole shebang, POHO runs the Hockey side while his equivalent handles the front office, then the General Manager handles the day-to-day running of the organization on the hockey side. For the Flames, Ken King is Brian Burke's boss, Burke handles the hockey side and is Brad Treliving's boss, Treliving handles day to day affairs.

This is the context of the tweet, "The new GM will answer the Dundon directly." POHO could be a legitimate promotion, a signal of organizational restructuring in which Francis still retains an important, but very different, role: but here, it's just a title. Francis will not be the new GM's boss, that will be Dundon.

(So really, it's not saying that Dundon will meddle, it's saying Francis is just a figurehead, not an actual POHO with power)

Last edited:

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I just for the life of me cannot believe how good Vegas is. If you would have told me in September that Colorado and Vegas would both be in playoff positions in late March but Chicago would be eliminated and St. Louis holding on for dear life, I would have made a huge bet with you that I would be paying off until I was 75.

And yet, nothing positive changed with our squad. At least we won the first game of the season instead of blowing it late in the 3rd so theres that.

Maybe we should have scooped up Gallant after the Panthers dumped him on our doorstep looking back at it, call the taxi for Peters instead.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008

Good God. McDavid got 50 points in a little over 2 months.

He's the best player in the game, no doubt about it. And I'd love for him to win another Art Ross Trophy.

Having said that, he'd better not get the Hart Trophy. There's a difference between "best" and "most valuable" and it's just not possible to be the most valuable player when your team will miss the playoffs by 20 points. Especially in light of the above tweet, which shows how dominant he's been with Edmonton effectively out of the race.

I can think of 10 guys I'd give the Hart to before McDavid. My Hart Trophy list goes: MacKinnon, Kucherov, Malkin, Hall and Kopitar, with strong support for Rinne, Giroux, Ovechkin and Wheeler. OK, fine, 9.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
It was probably decided beforehand that if there were an expansion draft within X years of 2017 the Golden Knights would be exempt.
I think league policy was that if there was another expansion within 2 years of the previous expansion date (which is what lead me to think next offseason for Seattle). in 2000 when Columbus was added to the league Nashville (98) and Atlanta (99) had their entire rosters exempt from the expansion draft. Though I don't think that was a thing for the 1991-93 expansions. I know for 100% fact it was for 2000 and 99

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad