Around the League Part 8: Welcome to the league Vegas, and Duchene discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
WTF are they doing over there, I don`t understand some of their moves at all

I'm guessing they are tanking. Can't say I blame them. Look how the fortunes of 2 teams (Toronto and Edmonton) were immediately turned around when getting lucky in the draft. Same goes for Pittsburgh (Crosby/Malkin) and Washington (Ovi) and Chicago (Kane). If Vegas wanted to be a lower end / middle of the road team, they'd be like the Canes have been, mired in mediocrity for ever. They need to be picking 1-3 for a few years.

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
I'm guessing they are tanking. Can't say I blame them. Look how the fortunes of 2 teams (Toronto and Edmonton) were immediately turned around when getting lucky in the draft. Same goes for Pittsburgh (Crosby/Malkin) and Washington (Ovi) and Chicago (Kane). If Vegas wanted to be a lower end / middle of the road team, they'd be like the Canes have been, mired in mediocrity for ever. They need to be picking 1-3 for a few years.
It`s understandable that they are trying to tank, and I get that they need top3 picks, but I think there is better way to do it, some of his moves are very interesting, to say the least.
For example I think they could trade Pickard instead of putting him on waivers, IMO he was pretty okey with such a shit team, and some teams could use him. There is chance he is walking away for free, not even a draft pick, so I think this was not the best decision. But who knows, maybe there were no offers for him

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
They have to tank at some point. If they wanted to compete now, they would have to move heaven and earth to assemble a mediocre-at-best team now, and watch it fall apart as the mediocre-at-best players leave or decline and aren't replaced because of their zero organizational depth. At which point they'll be "tanking" anyway. I mean, the best, best case scenario of that was they overpay their mediocre-at-best guys to stay, and they end up as the 2009-20015 Hurricanes, maybe some years they'll sneak into the playoffs but at the cost of a bunch of overpayed and rusting spare parts.

Or they tank right now.

That said, I wouldn't have thought McPhee to be so obvious about it.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Now's the time to tank- they're brand new and will have goodwill from the community just based on the novelty. A few years of being lovable losers with a few high picks to show for it should keep people's interest and they can improve in little steps over a few years. That'll build a bigger and probably more excited fanbase than showing up and being decent and then disappointing people when you eventually have to bottom out.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Hasn't Vegas sold out every game so far? I would tank too if I was in their position. Stockpile on draft picks, hope to get a next generational type player, or at least someone to build around by year 5, build around him, profit. In that market with so much going on year-round? Absolutely don't make this more than it needs to be.

Building up false hope that the Knights are a playoff team from the get-go isn't going to go over well in year 5 when the team still can't win and can't sell out.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
That's 10 now that CHI has hung on PIT. Niemi might suck, but Murray is 25/31 for .806 SV.

Or something like that. As I'm typing this, that stat now shows he's 25/28, but clearly he's allowed 6 goals.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
So apparently Jake Voracek made a tweet in response to an HF Boards poster making a negative post about him in their post game thread on the Flyers HF forum. So apparently players really do read this board. With that, I can only say to Ryan Murphy and Cam Ward that I am sorry for all of my posts the last few years. When I should have been building you up, I was tearing you down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad