Around the League Part 8: Welcome to the league Vegas, and Duchene discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I repeat: it would be foolish to give up a 1st round pick given the current situation in goal.
Well, I wouldn’t give up OUR 1st round pick. But let’s say we trade Skinner to the Pens, a likely return is their 1st plus a prospect. I’d give their pick as part of a package. That would be very reasonable and looks possible.

Edit: Hell, if Sprong was the prospect, we could then just add our 2nd and meet the Sabres request.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Well, I wouldn’t give up OUR 1st round pick. But let’s say we trade Skinner to the Pens, a likely return is their 1st plus a prospect. I’d give their pick as part of a package. That would be very reasonable and looks possible.

Edit: Hell, if Sprong was the prospect, we could then just add our 2nd and meet the Sabres request.
Ding, ding, ding....we have a winner....

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

Ding, ding, ding....we have a winner....

I don't see any trade where we give Pittsburgh a 30+ goal scorer (being generous - I think Skinner could hit 40+ on PIT) for a late 1st and a prospect a "winner". Canes can't afford to hand impact forwards to Pittsburgh for futures.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I don't see any trade where we give Pittsburgh a 30+ goal scorer (being generous - I think Skinner could hit 40+ on PIT) for a late 1st and a prospect a "winner". Canes can't afford to hand impact forwards to Pittsburgh for futures.
Add to this, you know that Dundon/Waddell were pissed when the whole "not trading Grubauer in the division" thing went down. No way they aren't using the same leverage.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
So as Canes fan where do we hope Tavares ends up?

From a competition perspective, certainly San Jose. Having him out of division probably earns us ~2 more points against the Islanders than we would’ve gotten.

But from a roster perspective, if he ends up in Toronto I wonder if that makes us decent trade partners? Would it “unlock” a Faulk+ for Nylander trade? Cap-wise they would have to.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008

That's certainly worst case, but wouldn't you like to see Skinner on the on ice with Crosby or Malkin as an opponent? I think it hurts them both defensively, and if they spend shifts in their own end because Skinner can't win a board battle, that's a win for us. I think we're getting caught up in Skinner's positive aspects and not looking at the whole picture.

Plus, do you think Skinner will magically get better at using his teammates on another team? I'm not advocating a trade to Pittsburgh, but I'm not scared of it either. I look at him as a weakness to exploit as an opponent. Take the best deal, especially if it lands O'Reilly or a goalie.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
That's certainly worst case, but wouldn't you like to see Skinner on the on ice with Crosby or Malkin as an opponent? I think it hurts them both defensively, and if they spend shifts in their own end because Skinner can't win a board battle, that's a win for us. I think we're getting caught up in Skinner's positive aspects and not looking at the whole picture.

Plus, do you think Skinner will magically get better at using his teammates on another team? I'm not advocating a trade to Pittsburgh, but I'm not scared of it either. I look at him as a weakness to exploit as an opponent. Take the best deal, especially if it lands O'Reilly or a goalie.

It is amazing how warped the perception of Skinner's game has gotten to where you not only wouldn't be terrified of him on the ice with Crosby or Malkin, you'd "like to see" it.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
It is amazing how warped the perception of Skinner's game has gotten to where you not only wouldn't be terrified of him on the ice with Crosby or Malkin, you'd "like to see" it.

I'm more scared of whomever is there now, is my point. Skinner may be more talented than Conor Sheary, for example, (yes, I know, he got traded), but Skinner can be exploited.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
The trades for Faulk and Skinner are going to be so underwhelming as it is, but yeah, let’s not trade them to teams we might play four times instead of two when there is interest. Skinner in Pittsburgh would have the potential to torch us a few times per year. But he also will be able to torch all the other Metro teams, too. If Pittsburgh is offering the best deal, take it.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Detroit was one of the two rumored suitors, however. There isn't anything else on the market aside from Karlsson and potentially Trouba/Myers, but the team is running out of dance partners.

One of two teams according to who? Our own speculation due to Custance saying there was interest from a “team in the East with many RFAs”? Faulk is a top-4 RHD making $4.8 million, I’d be surprised if there weren’t a dozen decent offers. Just as Waddell just said they have received a number of ok and good offers for Skinner.

The Canes/Flames have made the only real player trade this offseason. Lots of teams want to make changes. Big Free Agents and July 1 signing bonuses are holding things up.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
So as Canes fan where do we hope Tavares ends up?

From a competition perspective, certainly San Jose. Having him out of division probably earns us ~2 more points against the Islanders than we would’ve gotten.

But from a roster perspective, if he ends up in Toronto I wonder if that makes us decent trade partners? Would it “unlock” a Faulk+ for Nylander trade? Cap-wise they would have to.

If Tavares is getting 12,000,000 or something in that neighborhood, I'd just assume he stay in the metro. At that number, I think he hurts more than he helps. He's only putting up PPG numbers in his good years. It's not like he's pushing 120 or playing any defense.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
If Tavares is getting 12,000,000 or something in that neighborhood, I'd just assume he stay in the metro. At that number, I think he hurts more than he helps. He's only putting up PPG numbers in his good years. It's not like he's pushing 120 or playing any defense.

I’m hoping for TO at 12m per, them trying to expand Matthews, Nylander, Marner (whose a tier below Aho), and others...

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
One of two teams according to who? Our own speculation due to Custance saying there was interest from a “team in the East with many RFAs”? Faulk is a top-4 RHD making $4.8 million, I’d be surprised if there weren’t a dozen decent offers. Just as Waddell just said they have received a number of ok and good offers for Skinner.

The Canes/Flames have made the only real player trade this offseason. Lots of teams want to make changes. Big Free Agents and July 1 signing bonuses are holding things up.

10 Thoughts: Bergevin looking to add centre, defenceman for Canadiens - Sportsnet.ca

See #4 for Detroit.

Chicago has been brought up up several different sources, national and local. I haven't seen anything linking other teams to him.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
10 Thoughts: Bergevin looking to add centre, defenceman for Canadiens - Sportsnet.ca

See #4 for Detroit.

Chicago has been brought up up several different sources, national and local. I haven't seen anything linking other teams to him.

Your article (from over a week ago):
4. Carolina is another to watch. It will be a surprise if the Hurricanes deal the second-overall selection. However, all eyes are on Jeff Skinner (add the Islanders and Penguins to the list of potential options), Justin Faulk (Detroit with interest) and Elias Lindholm. I’m not convinced the latter is getting dealt, but the team and agent are grinding each other over his next contract.

Doesn't seem to limit the # of teams to me. Just points out Detroit as a team who is in the running.

List of UFA RHD available: Bieksa, Fayne, Sustr, Schenn, Polak, Franson, Gryba, Folin

Not too pretty.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina

Dave pretty much said what I was thinking as well...I'm not scared of him, but we really don't want to help Metro teams get significantly better. Offensively, Skinner's better than at least 8 of their current forwards. And again, ideally we're competing w/the Pens for a playoff spot, so do we really want to forget that :
1. Skinner's in a contract year...he's going to play his best hockey
2. Crosby and Malkin have a limited number of kicks at the can left, so adding Skinner's offense to that group isn't ideal
3. Does Pittsburgh play defense now:sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad