Around the league part 2

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
The other problem was the rapid expansion of the 90's (plus several crappy draft classes). The only way certain teams could compete would be play the trap. Trap + lower skill is a rough watch.
"Tag up" offside was removed in 1996-97.

It was restored in 2005-06 after the lock out.

There's your "dead puck" era right there.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
"Tag up" offside was removed in 1996-97.

It was restored in 2005-06 after the lock out.

There's your "dead puck" era right there.

And removing the two line pass. Definitely funny to watch 90's highlights and seeing a perfect breakout pass leading to a potential breakaway only to get whistled down.

I wish I could find which episode it was, but Bill Simmons will occasionally drop a Devils ruined hockey in the 90's mention. That episode in particular was amusing since I think it was in the context of The Last Dance and he was arguing that the early 90's Bulls were better than the late 90's version due to the overexpansion of the league. Meanwhile Simmons didn't realize that happened in the NHL as well.

Fall of the Iron Curtain was another secondary factor. The Russian/Czech prospect pipeline kinda broke in the 90's due to the political upheaval. And then for whatever reason Canada/US weren't producing high end offensive talent. In 1999 Canada only had four forwards crack the first round: Kris Beech, Taylor Pyatt, Jamie Lundmark, and Scott Kelman. Unfortunate timing to add four expansion teams.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

DoktorJeep

Winners of the Offseason
Aug 2, 2005
OC
The Kings could have Kempe, Vilardi, Byfield, Turcotte down the middle purely from draft picks. Three from Rob Blake.

But somehow there are still those who will defend Rob Blake going with Kopitar, Danault, Lizotte and Dubois as the better choice.

The desire to castrate yourself runs deeper in Kings fans than any population in the history of the human race.

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
And removing the two line pass. Definitely funny to watch 90's highlights and seeing a perfect breakout pass leading to a potential breakaway only to get whistled down.

I wish I could find which episode it was, but Bill Simmons will occasionally drop a Devils ruined hockey in the 90's mention. That episode in particular was amusing since I think it was in the context of The Last Dance and he was arguing that the early 90's Bulls were better than the late 90's version due to the overexpansion of the league. Meanwhile Simmons didn't realize that happened in the NHL as well.

Fall of the Iron Curtain was another secondary factor. The Russian/Czech prospect pipeline kinda broke in the 90's due to the political upheaval. And then for whatever reason Canada/US weren't producing high end offensive talent. In 1999 Canada only had four forwards crack the first round: Kris Beech, Taylor Pyatt, Jamie Lundmark, and Scott Kelman. Unfortunate timing to add four expansion teams.
Only one of those things directly correlates to the actual dip in scoring.

Tag up offside goes away... scoring starts to dip.

It comes back... so does scoring.

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
The sheer number of PPs awarded in 2005-06 certainly helped scoring as well.
Sure and the offense didn't come back to pre tag-up offside right away but over the years it's returned.

Goals per game 1995-96

Goals per game 96-97

Goals per game 97-98

Didn't surpass 2.76 until 2005-06 when it came back at 3.08
Hasn't dipped below 2.9 since 2017.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
I will swear to my dying day that a heavily contested, physical, low-scoring game is immeasurably superior to the hockey we get nowadays.

Reactions: SettlementRichie10

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
I will swear to my dying day that a heavily contested, physical, low-scoring game is immeasurably superior to the hockey we get nowadays.
"hard" hockey doesn't sell to dopamine-fried tiktok brain rotters the way highlight reels do. way of the world.

bedard's a lock for the calder while going -44 and moping around the ice dodging checks, faber who?

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Unfortunately at the peak of that era most of the games were just boring and low scoring with a few big hits. I think that style died just because of how taxing it was. That’s why I think the Kings of old had another gear in the playoffs. Now the current Kings team is the same shit in the playoffs as it is in the regular season. NHL got lazier. I’ve seen players avoid perfect momentum changing shifts because of the impact on their own body.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
The Kings could have Kempe, Vilardi, Byfield, Turcotte down the middle purely from draft picks. Three from Rob Blake.

But somehow there are still those who will defend Rob Blake going with Kopitar, Danault, Lizotte and Dubois as the better choice.

The desire to castrate yourself runs deeper in Kings fans than any population in the history of the human race.

l'm a little slow today with all the Nyquil, are you saying Kempe and Vilardi are better centers than Kopi and Danault? 2 of the 4 listed have chronic injury histories.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
lol @ Avs fans complaining about Walker :P But man, Georgiev so deflating back there. The Avs have AK-47 offense and ice cream truck cap gun goaltending.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
That trade should get Rob Blake fired.

200w.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad