GDT: Around the League - Off Season Edition - let the good times roll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
At this rate 8million is Rielly giving us a discount
For real… I hope Dubas is at least doing some preliminary contract talks to get an estimate.

Rielly is no doubt better than Nurse in my mind. Only one year older, so I’m sure Mo can use 9+ mil as a ballpark amount if he wants to. And honestly, if that’s the price I hope he’s moved.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
out of 171 defensemen with at least 500 minutes played, Nurse is 158th best in expected goals against. Barrie is 164th, and Keith is dead last. Hopefully Mike Smith doesn't fall off a cliff at age 39 and can have another one of the best years of his career, or Edmonton will get lit up

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The Pelech contract is probably about fair value though the term on that definitely favors the player (won't be Lous problem to deal with anyways when the time comes)

That Nurse contract rumor is absolutely insane though. GMs have nobody but themselves for th we types of salaries.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The Pelech contract is probably about fair value though the term on that definitely favors the player (won't be Lous problem to deal with anyways when the time comes)

That Nurse contract rumor is absolutely insane though. GMs have nobody but themselves for th we types of salaries.

The Pelech contract, certainly does support protecting Holl though... look at what the replacement cost for D would be this offseason.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The Pelech contract, certainly does support protecting Holl though... look at what the replacement cost for D would be this offseason.

Yep.

#4-6 D men contracts this offseason have been way bigger than expected. So much for the Covid salary pinch.

There wasn't a single contract for 2 mil or less that I'd take over Holl

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Are we not gonna hear anything about Rielly negotiations?

Figured there'd be some movement on either a contract or trade and we'd hear about it by now.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
That was a contract signed in 2018. We are talking about contracts signed this year, to be a replacement for Holl, had he been unprotected, and selected in the expansion draft.

Even so, that contract turned out to be genius for the Isles

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
The Oilers have $46 mill in cap space tied up in McDavid, Draisaitl, Hyman, RNH, Nurse, and Ceci over the next 4 years.

The thing, though, is that the Pacific is a weak division.

Seattle, San Jose, Anaheim are all rebuilding .. Calgary probably not going to be better, if they're not worse, and be a middling team. LA is still rebuilding so that could go either way. Vancouver was a train wreck last year but in this division, they could be more competitive. The only real good team is Vegas, and they'll have a cakewalk to the division title.

McDavid and Draisaitl could probably carry that team into the playoffs again in this division.

IMO the division will shake out as:

Vegas
Edmonton
Vancouver
Calgary
LA
Anaheim
San Jose
Seattle

Last edited:
Reactions: Menzinger

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
The Oilers have $46 mill in cap space tied up in McDavid, Draisaitl, Hyman, RNH, Nurse, and Ceci over the next 4 years.

The thing, though, is that the Pacific is a weak division.

Seattle, San Jose, Anaheim are all rebuilding .. Calgary probably not going to be better, if they're not worse, and be a middling team. LA is still rebuilding so that could go either way. Vancouver was a train wreck last year but in this division, they could be more competitive. The only real good team is Vegas, and they'll have a cakewalk to the division title.

McDavid and Draisaitl could probably carry that team into the playoffs again in this division.

IMO the division will shake out as:

Vegas
Edmonton
Vancouver
Calgary
LA
Anaheim
San Jose
Seattle

I can see Vancouver finishing 2nd or even and even possibly fight for 1st in that division. Top 6 forwards is pretty good if Pettersson stays healthy. Goaltending is very good with Demko and Halak. Defence isn't the worst, especially if OEL can produce offensively like he used to. Their depth scoring might be a problem though even though they still got some cap space and there's a few decent FA still who could help out with that so they are a wildcard imo but they should be better than Edmonton.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Oilers are getting lit up next season. ~29 mil across their D corps and it might not even finish in the top 20. No legit no.1 goalie.

Hyman's knees going to be working quadruple overtime next season because it looks like Hollands expecting him to make up for the remainder of the missing team D.

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
Oilers are getting lit up next season. ~29 mil across their D corps and it might not even finish in the top 20. No legit no.1 goalie.

Hyman's knees going to be working quadruple overtime next season because it looks like Hollands expecting him to make up for the remainder of the missing team D.
I think the Oilers make a push to grab Kudobin from Dallas. If they can dump Koskinen on Buffalo or Detroit.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I still think about how Edmonton will have Barrie and Ceci anchoring their RHD spots in their top 4 for the next 3 years

It's just strange. So much term. And they've got Keith at 5.5 mil for 2 seasons too!

Holland must be feeling the pressure to act sooner than later to keep McDavid happy. And as a result made some very stupid moves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad