Tidbits: Around the League: NHL News - 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
I think you are overestimating him based on level of play prior to injury. He has a cap hit under $4M and there are rumors about him potentially being bought out due to his play. If he was a top 4 level dman, that wouldn't even be a consideration.
Well, it’s either his level of play, his personality, or both.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
one thing is sure, Fletcher’s rep is doing nothing but go down since he left this team. I used to think that he was competent, but time has shown otherwise. Whether we kept those two till the bitter end, or bought them out, it was never going to end well, and we are now paying the price with little to show for it.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
one thing is sure, Fletcher’s rep is doing nothing but go down since he left this team. I used to think that he was competent, but time has shown otherwise. Whether we kept those two till the bitter end, or bought them out, it was never going to end well, and we are now paying the price with little to show for it.
Yup. The only thing recommending him as some kind of advanced hockey mind was his surname.

Wouldn't be too surprising for him to show up as the Athletic Director at a prep school or D-III College though, as a nice guy with an impressive resume (hockey accomplishments aside).

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Apparently a rumor is going around that Dubois might be interested in coming to Minnesota.
I would love to have him, I was sad when we weren't able to get him from CBJ. We would have to move out cap to make it work this season, and then you hope that the big increase projected next off season happens. It would be my preferred way to fill the 1C hole, I think there are enough warts and limiting factors that his cost to acquire would be far more reasonable, though it is in-division.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Is he a fit attitude wise? Seems like he's been disgruntled on two teams already.

Then again, he probably wouldn't be available otherwise.
Obviously you can consider some risk there, but CBJ and WPG situations are very different from our own, and I can see some pretty valid complaints if you were an employee in those orgs at the time. Sandbagging shifts is a red flag for sure, but I think there was some toxicity going on for some time in that situation, I think our current locker room would much more appealing, and MN has a bit more going for it at the current moment.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
He seems primadona type, however he would easily be our 1C so maybe being gifted that spot and playing with Kap brings his attitude up enough??

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Is he a fit attitude wise? Seems like he's been disgruntled on two teams already.

Then again, he probably wouldn't be available otherwise.

Meh, Tortorella was the coach in CBJ, and he had reached the shelf life on his time as a head coach there. Really CBJ and WIN are near the bottom of the list for attractive places for players to sign.

I think he really only wants MTL and the rest are a bs "list" of other teams that can't sign him. He gets to save some face and stll gets what he wants.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
He wants to be in MTL , but he and his agent realize that if he says that, they lose all leverage. The more i think about, the more I want to pass on him. He will probably cost a 1st and a decent prospect, then want to sign a contract at about 7.5-8M. I just don't think he's that good, and shouldn't be paid 2+M more than JEE. PLD doesn't play defense, and doesn't win FO's, and his offense isn't all that.

Reactions: fgobuzz

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
What really strikes me in comparing JEE and Dubois is o-zone starts: JEE is at 46.6% for his career (40% last season), while Dubois is at almost 63%.

You all know that quality of linemates might be a little different too, and yet the production isn't crazy in Dubois's favor.

Extremely overvalued -- especially in his own mind.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Wonder if some other team will do a similar thing with Dumba? He’s got a lot in common with Severson. Would be cool if we could net another draft pick this year(or next).

Would be great for us, but what's the incentive for Dumba to do that instead of exploring the market? I guess it eliminates the risk of losing the game of musical chairs like Klingberg did.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Would be great for us, but what's the incentive for Dumba to do that instead of exploring the market? I guess it eliminates the risk of losing the game of musical chairs like Klingberg did.

The only incentive I can think of for Dumba is to get that 8th year on a contact.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
It blows my mind how anyone would want to go to a Canadian team with how high their taxes are.
Ehh, it's home for him.

Once you make a certain amount of money, there are usually quasi legal dodges that tax pros can and will help you arrange, no matter where you live. If you make $500,000, you are screwed. If you make 8M... no problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad