Tidbits: Around the League: NHL News - 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Won't deny that, but picking and choosing which nights are controversial and need to be gotten rid of and which nights can stay only adds fuel to the fire for people whose favorite (controversial) theme night got the boot. Like the post in here that originally brought this up said they can't even make an exception for the HFC night, and I doubt she's pro-cancer. It shouldn't be that way, but it is.

I think the important thing, again, is that they're still having these nights and still auctioning off the jerseys for charity. The only thing changing is the players aren't wearing them first.
You pretty much nailed it. Definitely not pro-cancer....and very supportive of law enforcement and the military. But they can't pick and choose. If they have decided to end specialty jerseys for warmups, then they have to stick to their word and cut them all across the board. Otherwise, it sends a horrible message.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
It’s funny the last Russo LaPanta pod they basically laughed a Gus trade off but if value is there imo it makes sense. Gather picks, Fleury gets his last ride and Wallstedt gets a couple games, work into the cap free years and either feel confident in what you have with your goalie of the future or use the plethora of cap to get one. Being a bridge deal for Gus just to get him to his next contract and the team to Jesper doesn’t make much sense. Use an asset that’s agent is likely overvaluing his performance last season, and add elsewhere. Otherwise I think this deal is heading to arbitration.
I don’t think it’s as laughable as russo loves to make all the trade talk questions anyone gives him. I get he may have inside knowledge of wants and dislikes from BG but you can’t tell me a first for Gus who may of just had one good year isn’t a quality add along with off loading some vets for a younger C. Yes our current cap is about zero but he disregards and possible trade to make cap space.

Reactions: StateofCelly

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I don’t think it’s as laughable as russo loves to make all the trade talk questions anyone gives him. I get he may have inside knowledge of wants and dislikes from BG but you can’t tell me a first for Gus who may of just had one good year isn’t a quality add along with off loading some vets for a younger C. Yes our current cap is about zero but he disregards and possible trade to make cap space.

If we're going to trade Gus for a first right now, let's do this right and trade Zuccarello, Foligno, Hartman and Middleton too, ride Fleury for 74 games, and have ourselves a proper tank for once.

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
In interviews with Billy and even Judd lately they both know their window… why not set up for that, rolling out Fleury would incite the need for heartburn treatment most of the year but if this team is going to stumble into a wildcard spot with Gus anyway, they are plenty capable with MAF. You get some draft picks here and when the other guys come over and we take a swing in free agency with cap relief, reinforcements come with knowing these other prospects are close.. we are set up for it, let it ride

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
If we're going to trade Gus for a first right now, let's do this right and trade Zuccarello, Foligno, Hartman and Middleton too, ride Fleury for 74 games, and have ourselves a proper tank for once.
We should do this regardless of if Gus is traded or not. We've got players coming that should be pushing for NHL spots in the next year or two.

Zucc --> Khusnutdinov, Rossi, Yurov
Foligno --> Duhaime, Walker, Milne
Hartman --> Rossi, (Bankier)
Middleton --> Lambos, Hunt, O'Rourke, Peart

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I'm gonna be honest, I am pretty saddened by the decision to end theme nights and thinks it honestly sends a pretty bad message, especially when you know teams are just gonna find ways to get around the rules and have theme nights of some kind anyway.

Reactions: TaLoN

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'm gonna be honest, I am pretty saddened by the decision to end theme nights and thinks it honestly sends a pretty bad message, especially when you know teams are just gonna find ways to get around the rules and have theme nights of some kind anyway.

They're not ending theme nights they're just ending the players wearing the theme jerseys during warmups

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Switching back to regular hockey talk. Is there anyone on the Flames that actually wants to stay with them?

The players essentially forcing a rebuild could be a boon.

Or it could be if they didn't just sign 3 aging players to long term deals.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
The players essentially forcing a rebuild could be a boon.

Or it could be if they didn't just sign 3 aging players to long term deals.
Three? Gaudreau, Johansson and, who? Whoever the third is, I agree with you, getting rid of the players mentioned previously wouldn't cause the team to completely tank because they still have their most skilled players, and decent depth that they just re-signed.

If we want to tank properly, we need to trade Kaprizov and JEE. They're too old and won't fit the new window, and will keep us winning games right now. In that situation, it's a shame we couldn't also move Spurgeon and Brodin. Boldy is young enough to keep, fortunately.

I think that paragraph makes it clear that a tank is unrealistic. The only way it happens is if Boldy and Kaprizov both get injured for a long time, at this same time as each other. You know, do it the Avalanche way.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Three? Gaudreau, Johansson and, who? Whoever the third is, I agree with you, getting rid of the players mentioned previously wouldn't cause the team to completely tank because they still have their most skilled players, and decent depth that they just re-signed.

If we want to tank properly, we need to trade Kaprizov and JEE. They're too old and won't fit the new window, and will keep us winning games right now. In that situation, it's a shame we couldn't also move Spurgeon and Brodin. Boldy is young enough to keep, fortunately.

I think that paragraph makes it clear that a tank is unrealistic. The only way it happens is if Boldy and Kaprizov both get injured for a long time, at this same time as each other. You know, do it the Avalanche way.
I think he's talking about Calgary, and Weegar, Kadri, and Huberdeau

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011

I was genuinely just talking about Calgary and not drawing any parallels to Wild

Reactions: TaLoN

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I was genuinely just talking about Calgary and not drawing any parallels to Wild
Yep, I understand that now. This is what happens when you read after getting no sleep. Just had our second kid this week so bear with me, I'm going to say some dumb stuff for a while here. :)

BH must've been in backyard watching his kids play and wearing his beer helmet
Minus the beer helmet, sadly.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Impressive, most people have to wait at least 9 months.

Not if they are goat farmers...

1687556420064.jpeg

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Ryan Johansen (@50%) traded to Avs for rights to Alex Galchenyuk.

oof.

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
So Trotz saved a bit of money by retaining 50% rather than buying him out... must have zero use for RJ. The rights for Galchenyuk are worth nothing.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
I just took a peek after posting... 28 points, 55 games. Not worth $4 million, and definitely not worth 8, but maybe he can turn it around.

Colorado is desperate for a 2C and can't afford a legit one with their limited cap space.

Taking a gamble on someone like Johansen is the best they can do.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I just took a peek after posting... 28 points, 55 games. Not worth $4 million, and definitely not worth 8, but maybe he can turn it around.

If he can stay healthy $4m is a good deal, that is a big "if" though. I do take last season NSH stats with a grain of salt. They went from 3 PPG players to not even 1 60p player.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
If he can stay healthy $4m is a good deal, that is a big "if" though. I do take last season NSH stats with a grain of salt. They went from 3 PPG players to not even 1 60p player.

Johansen has been playing at a fairly consistent pace in 3 out of 4 past seasons:

2019-20: 36p in 68gp, ~43p pace
2020-21: 22p in 48gp, ~38p pace
2021-22: 63p in 79gp, ~65p pace
2022-23: 28p in 55gp, ~42p pace

I don't know about his injuries but that 60 point season seems like more of an outlier than last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad