Around the League: News/Notes

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I know we bitch and moan quite about our current situation and the guys in charge.
Though, I'd hate to be a Canucks fan, even with the young talent they have.

After trading for yet another crappy contract(OEL) and giving away any cap flexibility, their owner's giving their GM the green light for more trades yet again.
And all of that after those trades, so far, have resulted in them being no better than last season when they were last in the north division..

Yikes....

BTW: After their win in St. Louis the Coyotes are now only four point behind us...:joker:

Last edited:

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Maybe for #2

Given that the Penguins are not good this season, have aging superstars and kept their own pick...
Well, we know how this goes....:naughty:

Wish I didn't. I remember all their decent players being traded away or not re-signed, other than Mario himself trying to keep some butts in the seats. Was so obvious what they were doing and it made me sick, but it got them their Big 4 and some cup wins.

Seattle's situation is different; they have the roster granted them by the other teams. I sure hope they can draft Wright because they deserve to more than tanky-ass Arizona, or one of these other teams that have already done that.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Wish I didn't. I remember all their decent players being traded away or not re-signed, other than Mario himself trying to keep some butts in the seats. Was so obvious what they were doing and it made me sick, but it got them their Big 4 and some cup wins.

Seattle's situation is different; they have the roster granted them by the other teams. I sure hope they can draft Wright because they deserve to more than tanky-ass Arizona, or one of these other teams that have already done that.
Any team that perpetually sucks does not garner sympathy from me. Edmonton was one of the teams a few years back. Its AZ now. I cannot imagine where Edmonton would be if they didn't luck into McDavid.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Maybe for #2

Given that the Penguins are not good this season, have aging superstars and kept their own pick...
Well, we know how this goes....:naughty:

Being a Pens fan since their inaugural season pretty much and Kraken now my close second favorite I would be torn by such a scenario but find that highly unlikely! :laugh:

wewantyoursoul

Oct 14, 2021
Happy Valley, OR
Texas native and former Houston area resident...this would be cool. Although Houston is notorious for poor fan support unless the team is winning (Texans, Rockets)...and then it's even difficult to draw a completely full house (outside of playoff games).

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
The Canucks have fired GM Benning and HC Green.

Bruce Boudreau will take over at HC.
Given his reputation as a players coach I'd expect some kind of a reaction and improvement by the Canucks.

Metalwood

Sep 30, 2021
I know we bitch and moan quite about our current situation and the guys in charge.
Though, I'd hate to be a Canucks fan, even with the young talent they have.

After trading for yet another crappy contract(OEL) and giving away any cap flexibility, their owner's giving their GM the green light for more trades yet again.
And all of that after those trades, so far, have resulted in them being no better than last season when they were last in the north division..

Yikes....

BTW: After their win in St. Louis the Coyotes are now only four point behind us...:joker:
This post hasn't aged well

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
This post hasn't aged well

You mean a post about a situation that included a GM making stupid moves who now finally got fired?

Even with them winnning a couple, Benning has totally fu''''' up their financial situation with that OEL deal given that they'll still have to trade one of their better players in order to be able to re-sign Boeser.

Metalwood

Sep 30, 2021
You mean a post about a situation that included a GM making stupid moves who now finally got fired?

Even with them winnning a couple, Benning has totally fu''''' up their financial situation with that OEL deal given that they'll still have to trade one of their better players in order to be able to re-sign Boeser.
Bennings gone, Rutherford is in, cap going up. Your predictions of our demise are greatly exaggerated. How's that Grubauer contract looking there? OEL has actually been pretty good, sure he's a tad over paid in cap hit and term but he's still a good player for us so far. We will see about Boeser getting resigned lots of time for that plus he's still restricted so its not a panic.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Bennings gone, Rutherford is in, cap going up. Your predictions of our demise are greatly exaggerated. How's that Grubauer contract looking there? OEL has actually been pretty good, sure he's a tad over paid in cap hit and term but he's still a good player for us so far. We will see about Boeser getting resigned lots of time for that plus he's still restricted so its not a panic.

The cap is going up by $1M, which won't do much.

I guess you're a Canucks fan so that's kind of strange too given that everyone over there was crying back when I wrote that message and basically said the same thing.
Overall it's certainly nice to win a couple but that team's still not great defensively and has five more years of OEL at $7.25 million on their cap which doesn't help with other contracts.

Also, this post was actually with sympathy for Canucks fans who had to endure the crap Benning pulled for eight years.

BTW: Grubauer hasn't been great but at least he's at $5.9 million, can bounce back and we actually still have a lot of cap flexibility.
So, yeah....

Metalwood

Sep 30, 2021
The cap is going up by $1M, which won't do much.

I guess you're a Canucks fan so that's kind of strange too given that everyone over there was crying back when I wrote that message and basically said the same thing.
Overall it's certainly nice to win a couple but that team's still not great defensively and has five more years of OEL at $7.25 million on their cap which doesn't help with other contracts.

Also, this post was actually with sympathy for Canucks fans who had to endure the crap Benning pulled for eight years.

BTW: Grubauer hasn't been great but at least he's at $5.9 million, can bounce back and we actually still have a lot of cap flexibility.
So, yeah....
Oh i guess i misunderstood your sympathy for " we suck but at least we dont Canucks level suck". Yes we had to endure 8 years of dim Jim who mostly screwed things up but had some successes in drafting and trades.

You better hope that Ron Francis surpresses his "inner Jimbo" but based on some contracts he handed out and fumbling the expansion draft one has to wonder... Maybe in 5 years Beirniers will pan out, but then again maybe not we shall see they are all only prospects until they actually DO it in the big show and a lot can happen between now and then.

I saw last nights Kraken highlights, Grubie's save pct. was a whopping .853? Yes HOPEFULLY he can rebound. You guys are a looong way from Vegas baby.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Would be BONKERS if he wasn't picked up.

Well, looking at that cap hit of $3.3 mil and his play so far this season, there's a chance he goes unclaimed.

Not many teams are willing to take on that kind of salary, especially for a 35 year old back up goaltender.

Though, I think Buffalo might be giving it a shot.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Khubodin went unclaimed.
Seems like no one wanted to add those extra $3.5 mil, given his age and recent play.

Also, Covid's making the rounds.
We've got quite some problems, but the Flames have been shot down untile December 16th and the Wild vs Hurricanes game has also been cancelled.

Given how this looks I highly doubt we'll see NHL players in the Olympics, especially with those protocols in China.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Hate the fact that teams can get away by putting people on LTIR and bringing them on the roster as soon as the playoffs start. Looking at Vegas and Stone for this season.

Almost wish they did this like the injury timeouts in the NFL where you cannot come in on the next play. If you are not playing the last game in the regular season AND are on LTIR, they should not allow you back till your teams 2nd playoff series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad